forum

[osu!mania] can we get a "hidden" mode that doesn't get harder as u play?

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +5
Topic Starter
HakuCell
the current "hidden" mode in osu!mania hides more and more of the beatmap as u go throughout a song without any miss. i dont like that. can we get a "fixed hidden mode"? or an option to regulate how much of the beatmap we want to hide?
abraker
you can make your skin hide the bottom area
Vuelo Eluko
i never played mania but that does sound pretty frustrating, imagine if the ar slowly increased on standard with hidden as your combo grows lol
Topic Starter
HakuCell

abraker wrote:

how to do that? that way i wouldn't have to use hidden mode
abraker

HakuCell wrote:

abraker wrote:

You will need to modify the following skin files and make them longer in height. Mine happen to be 417 px in height. If they don't exist, you can make them.

the files without the "D" at the end is when it's unpressed, and with the "D" is when it's pressed.
Vuelo Eluko

abraker wrote:

HakuCell wrote:

abraker wrote:

You will need to modify the following skin files and make them longer in height. Mine happen to be 417 px in height. If they don't exist, you can make them.

the files without the "D" at the end is when it's unpressed, and with the "D" is when it's pressed.
Doesn't this feel kinda weird? I assume either the middle or the bottom of the image (the part that reaches the 'hit area' before it starts to fade out I presume) is when you're supposed to hit, so do you just get used to hitting as soon as they are about to fade out? Or does the timing for the hit occur at when the top of the image would reach the hit area before fading? The part of the image that fades which contains the note that you 'read'. That would be a bit strange to me but I guess if that's how mania works this is perfect. Still not clear on why it would start fading out before you have to hit it though.
Topic Starter
HakuCell
@Vuelo Eluko, i like hidden mode cause then i hit notes based on the music. the rhythm guides me.
xAethereal
or maybe just play flashlight...its easier than hd tbh
abraker

Vuelo Eluko wrote:

Doesn't this feel kinda weird? I assume either the middle or the bottom of the image (the part that reaches the 'hit area' before it starts to fade out I presume) is when you're supposed to hit, so do you just get used to hitting as soon as they are about to fade out? Or does the timing for the hit occur at when the top of the image would reach the hit area before fading? The part of the image that fades which contains the note that you 'read'. That would be a bit strange to me but I guess if that's how mania works this is perfect. Still not clear on why it would start fading out before you have to hit it though.
It's easy to get used to hitting as soon as they are about to fade out. After the note is no longer visible, you are required to recall from memory to time the note correctly as you you are reading the following notes that will fade out soon after. It's easier to tap the note as soon as it fades out to cut on the stuff you need to hold in memory. Usually your reaction time would dictate how soon you hit it after it fades out unless you put in effort to hit later or earlier. This is why my skin's column have a certain height- it matches my reaction time at a certain scroll speed which allows me to hit accurately.

Without hiding the bottom I would hit late because I am used to hitting the when it disappears + my reaction time after it does that. Normal players read the note as it passes through the middle area, not the bottom. One of the things newer players have trouble with is reading the notes without pushing their reading to the bottom. You would start reading in the middle but as patterns you can't keep up with come, you find yourself moving your reading to the bottom to keep up. Yet by reading at the bottom you also need better reaction time because that's exactly where you need to hit the notes. I never learned how to avoid reading at the bottom, and created myself the hidden skin to help me deal with the reaction time issue, which reinforced that style of reading over the 4-5 years I've been playing.