1. osu! forums
  2. osu!
  3. Gameplay & Rankings
posted
So I've been playing osu! since April 2018, and I have 250~ hours as of right now. I play osu! about every single day, average play time per day is about 1-2 hours, maybe 3+ if I'm not tilted. The problem I have is that I can only FC maps that are like less than 2 minutes long, or very short combo (300-500). Sometimes I'll just randomly FC a map with like 700-800 combo (rarely), or whenever I'm getting past a 700x, I'll start to shake and choke and then my palm loses grip and I just miss. There are lots of problems that I would say are affecting my gameplay. I play with mouse, but this isn't a problem with what device I'm using, it's just stuff that I can improve on. Some of the things I've been very terrible at from the time I started playing up until now are:

- Streaming very low bpm, for some reason I can only hit short streams that are like 150+ bpm because I can't properly read it, I just tap z and x over and over again and "get lucky".
- Can't burst low bpm (like streams). For triples or more than triple bursts, I just always end up hitting 50's and 100's.
- Missing on VERY EASY NOTES. And also sometimes I'll break combo very early, after like 100 or 200 notes.
- Sliderbreaking for no reason


I'm currently sitting at 116k, my goal was to hit 5 digits at the end of the year, but at this point I don't even care about PP, I just want to improve. So I figured since I'm very inconsistent, playing longer maps might help. When I play longer maps, sometimes I'll manage to hit above 500-600 combo, but then playing a short map I'll just choke at 100x. I can't even play lower bpm maps, or anything that's "slow". But to be fair I don't find slow maps fun, I enjoy playing maps around like (150-165 bpm).

People say to download loads of maps, OK, well when I was stuck at like 175k, I had only about 1000ish maps? Now I have about 4000 but honestly there are only about 100 that I play each day. I feel like I'm getting worse, and picking up more bad habits. But I have been trying to actually hit to the rhythm than just mindlessly tapping, and it has helped out a lot. But it tilts me to a point where I just quit the game when I miss on such easy notes.

I'm really struggling with hitting lower bpm bursts, streams. Like should I just stream 120-140 bpm maps each day to get used to the finger control? I also disable the UI and hide the leaderboards, and I also use a clean skin without all of those animations popping up (theyre disabled), and I play on the best settings.
posted

stuy wrote:

So I've been playing osu! since April 2018, and I have 250~ hours as of right now. I play osu! about every single day, average play time per day is about 1-2 hours, maybe 3+ if I'm not tilted. The problem I have is that I can only FC maps that are like less than 2 minutes long, or very short combo (300-500). Sometimes I'll just randomly FC a map with like 700-800 combo (rarely), or whenever I'm getting past a 700x, I'll start to shake and choke and then my palm loses grip and I just miss. There are lots of problems that I would say are affecting my gameplay. I play with mouse, but this isn't a problem with what device I'm using, it's just stuff that I can improve on. Some of the things I've been very terrible at from the time I started playing up until now are:

- Streaming very low bpm, for some reason I can only hit short streams that are like 150+ bpm because I can't properly read it, I just tap z and x over and over again and "get lucky".
- Can't burst low bpm (like streams). For triples or more than triple bursts, I just always end up hitting 50's and 100's.
- Missing on VERY EASY NOTES. And also sometimes I'll break combo very early, after like 100 or 200 notes.
- Sliderbreaking for no reason


I'm currently sitting at 116k, my goal was to hit 5 digits at the end of the year, but at this point I don't even care about PP, I just want to improve. So I figured since I'm very inconsistent, playing longer maps might help. When I play longer maps, sometimes I'll manage to hit above 500-600 combo, but then playing a short map I'll just choke at 100x. I can't even play lower bpm maps, or anything that's "slow". But to be fair I don't find slow maps fun, I enjoy playing maps around like (150-165 bpm).

People say to download loads of maps, OK, well when I was stuck at like 175k, I had only about 1000ish maps? Now I have about 4000 but honestly there are only about 100 that I play each day. I feel like I'm getting worse, and picking up more bad habits. But I have been trying to actually hit to the rhythm than just mindlessly tapping, and it has helped out a lot. But it tilts me to a point where I just quit the game when I miss on such easy notes.

I'm really struggling with hitting lower bpm bursts, streams. Like should I just stream 120-140 bpm maps each day to get used to the finger control? I also disable the UI and hide the leaderboards, and I also use a clean skin without all of those animations popping up (theyre disabled), and I play on the best settings.
Ok this is a simple one.

Go to 4* maps, and play all the 4* maps you have. like literally all of them. I don't care if you choke on the 1st note or the last, or if you have 30% acc, you will NOT retry. ever. seriously.

It might be a bit shitty to play those maps but just play them, you'll probably find maps you like.

Also, PRIORITIZE LONG MAPS. My suggestion would be to sort by difficulty, 4* maps, and type length>300 unplayed=

What this does is that it shows you all the maps over 5min long that you've never touched before.

For streams, https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1aQ0myjCDfM6AGu8vhrTFc_Fw7H7Y-Moda-PGeXu_3bY/edit?richtext=true#gid=0

All of those. Especially the slowest bpm ones. If you can SS 120bpm and can physically stream 200 with no issues, you can SS 200bpm.
posted
Unnamedbeast back again with the google docs and unrealistic expectations.
posted
If you want a detailed guide by a top player at how to improve at osu! and are willing to put effort into it, here is a guide by Korilak: https://puu.sh/unB20/caee7b883d.pdf
Korilak has reached 3digit within a year of playing, so maybe his tips will help you.

Other than that, I'll address your problems personally one by one and give my personal opinion on how you might be able to fix them. Note that I am not a top player and this might not work for you.

>can only fc short / tv size maps
This simply has something to do with your consistency, which apparently is next to non-existant. You can try to play "long" (4 minute and above) maps that are a bit below your level, chances are you are going to get used to seeing a high combo and the shakes you get will weaken with time. Try to focus on the song instead of focusing on how more of the map you have to play until it is over. Try to not think of the pp that you will get, don't check your acc while playing, only on pauses. This way you will get used to nerves. You might still end up choking on the easier long maps, however, this is part of the process of getting used to it.

>Streaming low bpm: Streaming is hard. A lot of players can't do it, some top players even struggle at streaming basic bpm. What you are talking of most likely are 5-8 note streams. I myself also have struggle streaming anything under 170 accurately, my tip would be to listen to the music and try and get yourself a picture in your mind of what you might need. If you get 100s/50s, it's ok to check your UR bar. If it is to the left, you clicked too fast, if it is too the right, you were too slow.

>can't burst low bpm, getting 100s/50s on tripples
I can't really explain how to play tripples, it just like, comes with experience. If it helps, try to see it as a 3 note stream. As for the bursting part, I don't really get what you mean, 5 note streams? can't help you since I don't get what you mean, sorry.

>missing on very easy notes, breaking early
consistency problem, check my answer to tv size problem.

>random sliderbreaks
IF you hit the sliderhead too early / late, it will break your combo, even if it doesn't give you a miss. With that out of the way, the reason you are sliderbreaking "without any reason" is most likely that you are leaving the follow circle of the slider. In most skins, this is a white circle that you have to follow. When that reaches a slidertick (the dots inside the sliderbody) and your cursor is not holding inside that follow circle while you are holding down one of your tapping keys, you will sliderbreak.


If you have any other problems, feel free to send me a message ingame, though we might not be online at the same time very often due to timezone issues.
posted

N0thingSpecial wrote:

Unnamedbeast back again with the google docs and unrealistic expectations.
Not necessarily unrealistic. I used to be garbage at acc'ing streams, and after doing the entire google docs i saw my stream acc improving noticeably.
posted

UnnamedBeast wrote:

Not necessarily unrealistic. I used to be garbage at acc'ing streams, and after doing the entire google docs i saw my stream acc improving noticeably.
I’m referring to play every 4* map statement, there are 2 things I disagree with this statement. Firstly not every 4* map are well made to be relevant in improving your skill. Secondly star rating system is flawed and a lot of times doesn’t reflect the actual difficulty of the map, mashing 30% acc on a map that is too difficult for you can develop unhealthy habits if you’re not aware of it.

Do not retry advice are for people who doesn’t know when they develop a mind block, don’t know when to stop and don’t know when they develop an actual unhealthy habit
posted

N0thingSpecial wrote:

UnnamedBeast wrote:

Not necessarily unrealistic. I used to be garbage at acc'ing streams, and after doing the entire google docs i saw my stream acc improving noticeably.
I’m referring to play every 4* map statement, there are 2 things I disagree with this statement. Firstly not every 4* map are well made to be relevant in improving your skill. Secondly star rating system is flawed and a lot of times doesn’t reflect the actual difficulty of the map, mashing 30% acc on a map that is too difficult for you can develop unhealthy habits if you’re not aware of it.

Do not retry advice are for people who doesn’t know when they develop a mind block, don’t know when to stop and don’t know when they develop an actual unhealthy habit
Yeah. Retrying is completely fine if you don't overdo it. SR rating will never be perfect, also only displays relative difficulty. A stream player may find it easier to play a 5* stream map than a 4* jump map etc..
posted

N0thingSpecial wrote:

UnnamedBeast wrote:

Not necessarily unrealistic. I used to be garbage at acc'ing streams, and after doing the entire google docs i saw my stream acc improving noticeably.
I’m referring to play every 4* map statement, there are 2 things I disagree with this statement. Firstly not every 4* map are well made to be relevant in improving your skill. Secondly star rating system is flawed and a lot of times doesn’t reflect the actual difficulty of the map, mashing 30% acc on a map that is too difficult for you can develop unhealthy habits if you’re not aware of it.

Do not retry advice are for people who doesn’t know when they develop a mind block, don’t know when to stop and don’t know when they develop an actual unhealthy habit
When i meant 30% acc i meant if you shat on your acc completely in the beginning and felt a need to retry. Also just not retrying ever kinda makes you put your best effort onto the map you're playing, even if you did choke it or whatever, since it's the only play you're doing, while if you retry attempts mean much less
posted

UnnamedBeast wrote:

When i meant 30% acc i meant if you shat on your acc completely in the beginning and felt a need to retry. Also just not retrying ever kinda makes you put your best effort onto the map you're playing, even if you did choke it or whatever, since it's the only play you're doing, while if you retry attempts mean much less
That might be how it works for you, but I am pretty sure that it doesn't work that way for the most of us.

When you know that you are still on a full combo / good accuracy, you most likely want to put more effort into keeping it that way in order to get a good, satisfying play out of it instead of reverse choking.

Reverse choking is probably one of the most tilting things I have experienced in this game, especially if you can't fix it because it was a lucky run.
posted

KSN wrote:

UnnamedBeast wrote:

When i meant 30% acc i meant if you shat on your acc completely in the beginning and felt a need to retry. Also just not retrying ever kinda makes you put your best effort onto the map you're playing, even if you did choke it or whatever, since it's the only play you're doing, while if you retry attempts mean much less
That might be how it works for you, but I am pretty sure that it doesn't work that way for the most of us.

When you know that you are still on a full combo / good accuracy, you most likely want to put more effort into keeping it that way in order to get a good, satisfying play out of it instead of reverse choking.

Reverse choking is probably one of the most tilting things I have experienced in this game, especially if you can't fix it because it was a lucky run.
I've had my fair share of reverse choking, but I don't care much about individual plays. My concern is to be 100% consistent, and I can only achieve that if I swallow my need to retry
Please sign in to reply.