forum

Bonus PP

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Juuuuuuuuul
Curious, what do you guys think about bonus PP ?
in my case, around 500pp 399pp (edited after check) of my 2204pp are from bonus.
it's too much and my pp are not reflecting my performances at all, i deserve less pp for my skills lvl.
Happy new year o/
DarkStoorM
In your case, you should have around 396 bonus pp (judging by your plays, 4600 ranks, which can include at most 400 B's, C's and D's, so assuming 5000). Maximum amount is 416~
You need around 5300+ submitted scores to reach 400pp and 25397~ submitted scores to reach the limit.

[...]it's not a good measure of performance

There was a discussion about bonus PP:

VINXIS wrote:

bonus pp is honestly a trivial issue and the only reason this was discussed was because of osu-tools profile calc where we shouldn't even consider bonus pp in the top 100 plays comparison anyway
everyone benefits from bonus pp, only issue i have with it is that new players have no idea where their pp is coming from since a lot of people don't even know that it exists even at the top level, and that the cap is so high that index used it to obtain #1, but if peppy isn't considering removing it then it's w/e, it's not really a big deal for now anyway

riptiondesc wrote:

i'd argue that having a diverse set of skills is something that can contribute to being a better player
diverse skills plays a part in tournaments in determining who the better player is (just take 1v1 standard format as an example)
if you play more maps, you are probably more likely to know how play a wider variety of stuff
obviously with there being so many maps (and so many similar maps) this might not be capturing this effect in reality today
and the fact that gaining bonuspp can be cheesed with nfdt (i assume this works) is an issue
i would be up for changes to bonuspp, but in the absence of a better solution (something like osu!skills adding to a combined value idk) i don't think it should be removed

ppy wrote:

the play count bonus caps out anyway, and should not affect competitive play in a meaningful way. it was designed with that in mind. it will not be removed but can be tweaked if it can be proved to have an adverse effect on competition (i doubt it)

(from 2015)

I'm not sure how to feel about bonus pp, sure, you learn more by playing different maps, but should that contribute to your bonus pp? Maybe, kind of. You perform better after learning more patterns afterall.
Topic Starter
Juuuuuuuuul
i checked with this App, https://osu.ppy.sh/forum/t/538470
and you're right, it say i have 399 bonus pp, it's still too much on my eyes .
Thanks for the quotes, it's more clear now.

Even if i don't realy care about rank, for example when i enter in multi lobby, people are expecting me to do well on 4.5* - 5* but i can't.
mulraf
i think bonus pp is a good thing to have. it reflects a part that pp doesn't: your experience. BUT i agree that this is not how it should look like. in the beginning you get it extremely fast and at the end it's pretty much non-existant. i think 400-500 as a limit as it is is good, but i think it should take a little longer to get there while i think that you should get it faster in the beginning just you know.. not that much faster.