forum

Koda Kumi - Twinkle

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
flakmonkey
Whew, finally finished this beatmap today.

This one is long, more than 4 minutes, but there are plenty of brakes so it shouldn't matter all that much.

If you don't use backround videos in Osu for some reason, don't even bother downloading this.. the video is the most important part :)

The video is from the animated short film Amazing Nuts! by Studio 4C, which is a small compilation of animated music videos, and I thought this would be perfect for a beatmap.

There are still 3 other songs from the same source, so if anyone is interested in checking them out (or making a beatmap out of them :D), here is one of them on youtube:

Ram Rider - Smile Again http://youtube.com/watch?v=eyHf8dgbGKQ

And here is the long version for this specific clip, if you'd like to understand the plot: http://youtube.com/watch?v=8yMrOcaDZJM

And finally my beatmap can be found here:

http://peppy.chigau.com/files/Koda%20Kumi%20-%20Twinkle.osz

It would be great if you could check if the audio and video are in sync, since this seems to vary from person to person. It is perfect on my machine, but maybe it's different for newer/older pc.
Loginer
First off, the timing is bad. When will some of you EVER learn to time your beatmaps? Second, this is way too much music video and way too little beatmap, IMO. Third, the .osz is huge. The Official Ranking Submission Criteria recommends one to at least distribute a version without a video if it's larger than 10 MB, but that wouldn't work with your beatmap. Myself, I don't think this is rankable.
peppy

Loginer wrote:

First off, the timing is bad. When will some of you EVER learn to time your beatmaps? Second, this is way too much music video and way too little beatmap, IMO. Third, the .osz is huge. The Official Ranking Submission Criteria recommends one to at least distribute a version without a video if it's larger than 10 MB, but that wouldn't work with your beatmap. Myself, I don't think this is rankable.
Now I think I understand loginer's signature :P.
Topic Starter
flakmonkey
Whoa, did I step on your foot or something?

Loginer wrote:

First off, the timing is bad. When will some of you EVER learn to time your beatmaps?

And how is the timing bad again? It took me about an hour to get it right for this song. Maybe you can't see that since I doubled it in the end (for the sliders), so try half of the current bpm (129,23) and you will agree.
And even if it was off, it's my second beatmap for god's sake, no need to get so angry about it.

loginer wrote:

Second, this is way too much music video and way too little beatmap, IMO.
So I take it you don't like it? Well, it certantly is a matter of taste, but not every song has to be 100% gameplay to enjoy it. Like in Ouendan 1/2, which has some very story intensive songs. And without full storyboard support just yet, this was the closest I could get. I would love to see more story intensive Beatmaps in Osu! instead of the next Michael Jackson song, IMO :|

loginer wrote:

Third, the .osz is huge. The Official Ranking Submission Criteria recommends one to at least distribute a version without a video if it's larger than 10 MB, but that wouldn't work with your beatmap.
So what am I supposed to do again? Anyways, it's not like I didn't try to get the filesize down. I have an acceptable 14 mb h.264 encode of the video, but that would take a performace hit on older pcs. And with a motion heavy video such as this, the current version is as low as I could go using XVID and without making everything a blurry mess. And besides, I'm not the only one ignoring this rule :P (No offense, love that song <3)

loginer wrote:

Myself, I don't think this is rankable.
That's okay.
Loginer

flakmonkey wrote:

Whoa, did I step on your foot or something?

Loginer wrote:

First off, the timing is bad. When will some of you EVER learn to time your beatmaps?

And how is the timing bad again? It took me about an hour to get it right for this song. Maybe you can't see that since I doubled it in the end (for the sliders), so try half of the current bpm (129,23) and you will agree.
And even if it was off, it's my second beatmap for god's sake, no need to get so angry about it.

loginer wrote:

Second, this is way too much music video and way too little beatmap, IMO.
So I take it you don't like it? Well, it certantly is a matter of taste, but not every song has to be 100% gameplay to enjoy it. Like in Ouendan 1/2, which has some very story intensive songs. And without full storyboard support just yet, this was the closest I could get. I would love to see more story intensive Beatmaps in Osu! instead of the next Michael Jackson song, IMO :|

loginer wrote:

Third, the .osz is huge. The Official Ranking Submission Criteria recommends one to at least distribute a version without a video if it's larger than 10 MB, but that wouldn't work with your beatmap.
So what am I supposed to do again? Anyways, it's not like I didn't try to get the filesize down. I have an acceptable 14 mb h.264 encode of the video, but that would take a performace hit on older pcs. And with a motion heavy video such as this, the current version is as low as I could go using XVID and without making everything a blurry mess. And besides, I'm not the only one ignoring this rule :P (No offense, love that song <3)

loginer wrote:

Myself, I don't think this is rankable.
That's okay.
The timing was slightly off. Very close, but slightly off. I think I exaggerated a bit in my first post, but the timing does get weird at some places. Besides, it shouldn't take an hour to time a song with the same BPM all the way through, but like you said, it was your second beatmap, so maybe you just need to train a bit.
Like I said, the story-thing was my opinion. I don't have to like it.
And admit it, you hate me. :'(
Lumino
I've recently gotten sick of Koda Kumi's voice, but that's not your fault :D

I did find a few things odd about this beatmap though. I could be a bit incorrect but, it seems you based this creation around the video, which is the reason for the rather long breaks and probably the small note size as well (allowing more view of the video while playing). I don't think this is a good way to go about it.

Honestly I did have video disabled because my computer just cant handle most video as a background, so a few parts got rather dull during the song. But don't neglect the people who don't have video enabled, we do make up a large number.

For normal difficulty, a very small note size just doesn't seem right.

I did like how the beats were going through the song, but up to a point it just got boring.
28 second break followed by a very long slider, then shortly after that, a 31 second break followed by just a handful of notes. I reckon there is potential all over there for some good beat placement, or just end the song early.

So yeah, that was my view on it. :shock: