forum

Is this how taiko is meant to be played?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
chayleaf
I'm a full-alt kddk player, I really got used to it after a few weeks of playing but I still controlled my hands manually. A few days ago I started getting dizzy from taiko (vertigo). Yesterday I spaced out cause of that and noticed my hands are pressing the correct key colors despite me not directly controlling them. Now I'm working on always playing like that, to do it I have to space out a little and not think about anything, if I think about pressing the key manually I usually confuse the color. As a bonus, I almost never get vertigo now and when I do it's insignificant because hands press the buttons themselves. Does every top player do it like that?
BrokenArrow
no
TheBladeSharp
Well as I've been playing KDDK myself I can agree that spacing out the used keys on your keyboard definitely helps. For example I play with zx./ as kddk and have that way gotten myself (in my own opinion) some lovely plays. I'd definitely say that it's best to play the way you feel most comfortable playing. Pick up your own playstyle and go from there and don't pick another's playstyle just because their scores are higher.
Li77L3

TheBladeSharp wrote:

Well as I've been playing KDDK myself I can agree that spacing out the used keys on your keyboard definitely helps. For example I play with zx./ as kddk and have that way gotten myself (in my own opinion) some lovely plays. I'd definitely say that it's best to play the way you feel most comfortable playing. Pick up your own playstyle and go from there and don't pick another's playstyle just because their scores are higher.

That's not what he meant. He means that he'll play taiko but his brain will space out, but his fingers are still pressing the correct keys out of reflex.
dragonworm
i used to space out too but once you get better it goes away
Jaye
Taiko is a bit like riding a bike or driving a car in this sense; the more you practice it the easier it is for you to run on automatic and not put a lot of energy into focus and reading. I've found that it even gets to the point where you're able to FC maps and have a normal conversation with someone in the room at the same time (depending on map density and speed I suppose).

tl;dr muscle memory becomes so good that Taiko develops into an automatic process and you can sort of space out from the game whilst doing well at it
Nao Tomori
well in my experience tho i am not really good at taiko, it becomes muscle memory for a lot of things. like first simple patterns (ddkkd kdkkd w/e) then longer ones (ddkdkkd or similar) and so on i guess. you can zone out and hit all of those just by muscle memory but when you get to a harder part then you have to pay more attention to read the patterns i guess.
BWithey
atleast for me I think there is a part to spacing out. however I think you still need to be involved in it. My goal most of the time is to see the pattern and move to the next one with my eyes while i'm muscle memorying (idk how else to describe that lol) the last pattern that I saw. So sometimes it can be useful but not to rely on.
Carmlillball
I could personally never play full alt. I'm a very right handed player but I do use my left hand too occasionally. Full alt is impressive!