forum

For those of you who don't want to pay for Fraps

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
darkmiz
AmaRecCo: A Free Alternative Screen Capturing method for recording videos

As you all know, Fraps can only record 30 seconds and displays the watermark unless you pay, so I would like to introduce one COMPLETELY FREE high quality and easy-to-use screen capturing software (which doesn't have any time limitation and wartermark) called AmaRecCo made by Japanese software company "amaman" and available in English. You can watch this video to see how it works.
Some of the instructions below are translated from this wiki.

Preparations:
1. Download latest version (AmaRecCo Ver3.10b) here and unzip the folder to your C: drive (the same drive where you installed Windows)
2. Download and install AMV Video Codec.
3. Open the "readme_en.txt" in your AmaRecCo folder in step 1, find the line "Trial key for AMV3 Video Codec:" and copy the registration key below that line.
4. Open Start Menu ->"All programs"->"AmvVideoCodec"->"Amv3 config", open menu bar "license" and paste on the license key. Then press "Registration" button, then "OK".

Note: Don't worry, this "trial" license key will never expire! They allow free usage as long as we use AMV3 Video Codec through AmaRecCo.
Using AmaRecCo for the first time:
1. Open AmaRecCo.exe in your AmaRecCo folder.

2. For Windows Vista / 7 users, there will be a message prompt about starting the program, hold on "Shift" key and press "OK" <- IMPORTANT ( If you don't follow this, you may fail to start the program. You only need to do this once.)

3. A message prompt about "Rookie mode" will show up, press "OK".

4. Disable the rookie mode because we don't need it: Go to "File" menu bar and uncheck "RooKie".

5. Open "Config" menu bar, choose one of the settings tab such as "1:Set-A". Choose the tab "Video2" below, find and uncheck "Timestamp" (We don't want the timestamp to appear on the upper right corner of our recordings).

6. Select the tab "Audio/Rec type", make sure the Plugin is "waveIn Capture". Set Sampling rate to "48000Hz" and Bit rate to "16 bit".

(For Windows Vista / 7 users, you can also choose Plugin type "Core Audio Capture(Win7)" if you don't need to record your microphone. Click the "cfg" button below Plugin type, click the button "control panel" and configure your sound device there.)
Record your game:
1. You will notice a blue rectangle like below, that is the recording region.

2. Drag the second box on top left of recording region to your game window.

3. Toggle off the blue rectangle.

4. Click "START" or press Ctrl + Z to start recording.

5. Click "STOP" or press Ctrl + X to stop recording.

6. Your output file will be saved as an .avi file in your AmaRecCo folder. The output file is very large and will need to be encoded (compressed) before uploading to youtube. See this thread by IppE for how to do that.

7. You can change the output video path and the hotkeys in "Config" menu bar.

I recorded this HD video using AmaRecCo.

Any feedback is greatly welcome!
Vmx
or just torrent fraps
Zelmarked
I tried buying fraps legitimately. It just declined me. I later read they don't take debit cards.

Not my loss...
Frizz
I didn't pay to use Fraps. . .
IppE

Frizz925 wrote:

I didn't pay to use Fraps. . .
Piracy is wrong m'kay.
DR nibbles
I downloaded this, followed all your steps, It's just not having it. It refuses to record with sound enabled. Any advice? :/

(i just noticed i did a grave dig on the topic, damn)
Wishy
You gotta activate the stereo mix option@window's sound options, when I started using Fraps for some reason it recorded every sound I emitted from my microphone. What stereo mix does is "send via microphone" every sound your listen to, music and shit, so even when Fraps is recording any shit it will actually do what you want, somehow.
G0r

DR nibbles wrote:

I downloaded this, followed all your steps, It's just not having it. It refuses to record with sound enabled. Any advice? :/

(i just noticed i did a grave dig on the topic, damn)
At least you had a good reason. :)
Espionage724
Evolve's been working great for me to record gameplay of osu!, and can do a whole lot more then any standalone recording app, and for free.
TocoToucan
What about video size? (I mean disk space, not screen resolution etc.)
nebiki
ffmpeg works with every kind of directshow input device.

this is for the more advanced users who like to use opensource software. the pre-compiled windows builds include libx264 with which you can directly encode your input to a file using whatever settings you wish. it's command line only.

here is what i use:
SPOILER
$ ffmpeg -strict experimental -rtbufsize 1073741824 -f dshow -i video="screen-capture-recorder" -f dshow -i audio="wuh (5- Creative SB X-Fi)" -r 60 -s hd720 -sws_flags spline -profile:v high444 -pix_fmt yuv444p -threads 4 -vcodec libx264 -preset veryfast -x264opts qp=17 -acodec libmp3lame -ac 2 -ar 44100 -ab 192k -f matroska -re E:\stream.mkv

the upside of this method is you can specify how you want to encode your input. you can specify quality or bitrate, choose how much cpu capacity you want to use and usually get very small filesizes compared to raw data from fraps/dxtory and the like while still maintaining very high quality. the -x264opts flag allows you to configure your encoding settings as much as you like, you don't have to use presets. what you might want to experiment with is different input devices as i ran into a few performance issues with the free screen capture device.

this also works if you want to stream to twitch etc, just change your output type to flv and change the output file to your streaming-app-url [rtmp://live-fra.justin.tv/app/$key in my case]. however, note that you can't go for qp if you want to livestream, as it is extremely variable bitrate which could easily go beyond your upload capacity. twitch recommends vbv. i use ffmpeg as a replacement for XSplit, because i think that it's way more suitable if you don't need overlays and only want to stream your desktop.

i hope this will help someone.