forum

[Archived] .zip file w/ osu! problem

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
XlI
So, when I download a .zip file, osu! opens up and my zip file is gone. It's frustrating because I choose to open .zip file and .rar file with winrar

osu! version: Stable 20181118.3 (latest)
Death
Sounds like you need to reset the default app set to handle zip files. You should be able to do that when you right click on a zip file and choose what to open it with (there should be a checkbox at the bottom of the window that pops up). If that doesn't work you might need to change it in Windows settings or your control panel.
Topic Starter
XlI
Nope. It is already set with winRAR archiver and whenever I download a .zip file it still automatically opens up osu! and my file is now into the song folder of osu!
Yazux_old
Does it have .osk or .osu in it?
If yes just drag them into osu!
Death
Perhaps you could try download and running the WinRAR installer again? You should be able to go through it normally until you get to the screen that asks what file types you'd like it to be associated with. Make sure you select .zip and .rar, it might be able to fix itself that way.

If that doesn't work, what OS are you on?

If you are on Windows 7 I may be able to help, but if you are on Windows 10 I'm not sure how much good I'll be able to do. I think the way default applications are handled on Windows 10 is absolute garbage and anytime I try to mess with them, none of the customization I want is there. They also somehow removed the ability to do anything related to this through the control panel in some update. Extensive Googling might be your best bet here.

Yazux wrote:

I don't think this is their issue.
Yazux_old

Death wrote:

Perhaps you could try download and running the WinRAR installer again? You should be able to go through it normally until you get to the screen that asks what file types you'd like it to be associated with. Make sure you select .zip and .rar, it might be able to fix itself that way.

If that doesn't work, what OS are you on?

If you are on Windows 7 I may be able to help, but if you are on Windows 10 I'm not sure how much good I'll be able to do. I think the way default applications are handled on Windows 10 is absolute garbage and anytime I try to mess with them, none of the customization I want is there. They also somehow removed the ability to do anything related to this through the control panel in some update. Extensive Googling might be your best bet here.

Yazux wrote:

I don't think this is their issue.

Oh.
I'm sorry
nickely
sorry for necropost.
i have the same issue and could not find any solution. perhaps someone has figured it out after 5 years?

https://www.reddit.com/r/osugame/comments/ivsct2/til_i_learned_that_osz_osu_beatmap_files_are_just/

i do not have any file associations set up in regards to osu files.

poc:

1. i download a .zip file
2. it opens my osu automatically (i have auto open in browser disabled)
3. osu! tries to process the .zip file as a beatmap file (?)
4. the .zip file is deleted.

troubleshooting:

# Find file type associations
- assoc | findstr /i "osu"

- i set all associations to nothing (NULL)
- i used FileTypesMan to delete all osu file extensions as well as their associations

i rebooted after removing everything osu file-type related.
nothing has worked.

the .zip file is set to WinRAR.

solution:

(temporary and dumb):
- rename the osu executable.
warning: this will throw a System.Exception: Executable filename is not correct!.

but at least you can download .zip files again.
- Marco -