forum

@ osu! Standard mode players: Why don't you play Taiko?

posted
Total Posts

Why don't you play Taiko?

Lack of beginner maps that are meant for Taiko mode.
14.99%
The game mode doesn't look fun to me.
25.06%
I tried playing it, but was having difficulties learning so I gave up / quit.
45.19%
Other (Please Specify / Post in the thread your reason)
14.77%
Total votes: 447
show more
lepidopodus
I see, there are lots of people saying 'Taiko is hard'. At least we can do something about this

Players said 'Taiko isn't fun', hmm, I guess this is a problem of player's preference...
Mithos
As soon as I find a song to map I'm making a Kantan (easy) taiko difficulty along with an Oni taiko difficulty. I wanna see a pie chart with the amount of Kantan/Fuutuu maps to the amount of Muzhachii (Defs didn't spell that right) and oni maps.
Aqo
I think Kantan would be unnecessary. People would find it boring and it'd discourage them from playing taiko.
You need to make low-BPM maps that are stacked with lots of notes, so that it's not too hard to follow for a beginner but at the same time doesn't have "dead spots" or basically blank parts where you don't do any thinking at all because that would bore players trying to learn.
I found that doing low-BPM oni difficulties with HalfTime and various Muzukashii maps either normally or with HalfTime if they're high-BPM is the best way to learn this game type quickly and in a fun way.

I don't think I'm any more skilled than anybody else so as long as it's low-BPM muzukashii it's good enough for a beginner to start learning on; I guess high BPM futsuu would be good too. But stuff below that would just be boring for beginners and would discourage them from learning.
Topic Starter
karterfreak
@Aqo:

I don't really agree with that for the mere fact that some player's starting level is much lower than others. Take for example guitar hero. I know some friends who are given a challenge by easy songs. Who am I to say that because when I started I was able to play hard / expert that nobody needs normal / easy difficulties?

The idea of a kantan difficulty would more be for players who are entirely new to Taiko and are still having a hard time differentiating between don and kat. There's nothing 'boring' about it for players who are actually new to it.
Elfuun_old
I try to, but it is really hard, much harder than the original Taiko games.

Plus most of the maps I have sucks badly.
GladiOol
I had no fun playing it.
creativ_old
I tried but it was kinda hard and confusing to be switching from blue to red and so on, i sometimes play on relax just for the fun :3
Aqo
@ karterfreak:

I only recently started taiko and I agree that the 100% first thing a beginner needs to focus on is differentiating don and kat. HOWEVER, when I started, a lot of easy maps I wanted to use for practice had simply different-timing patterns for only dons or only kats, or just a don-kat-don-kat-etc alternation with no variations in it, and I felt like I'm not learning anything like that. The maps should be slow enough to give beginners a chance to follow their reading, but not too SIMPLE because then it won't teach anything and it'll be boring to play.

i.e.: for beginner: Fast slider speed + high bpm + simple patterns = very bad, won't teach you much at all.
Slow slider speed + low bpm + somewhat complex patterns = very good, it's fun to play for beginner, playable, and teaches him the game.
MMzz
Taiko sucks, don't play it.
OzzyOzrock
Believe it or not, there is a psychological aspect dividing people playing osu! but not enjoying Taiko.
OnosakiHito

lepidopodus wrote:

I see, there are lots of people saying 'Taiko is hard'. At least we can do something about this
p/1508310
Help me with this idea if you like it lepidopodus.
After my exams are over I will start this project.
NamidaRain
the stream thing makes me mad, I can play 32th notes fine but when I see the stream I have a tendency to mash/spam as fast i can = =.. weird bad habbit that I cant get rid of. also the red blue thing at high speeds kinda makes me dizzy
Drafura
4) After one year standard i was borred with it, I had the choice to go Taiko or CtB, and learning a mod while playing the most insane maps of osu! was most attractive in my eyes. But I still have in mind to learn Taiko one day.

Edit : Oh and @Shiirn I think the lack of hard maps for CtB makes me don't go for this mode before. I mean I've started CtB with AR9, and before Val, there wasn't really a lot of AR9 ranked maps for CtB. For me (since the time I started CtB) playing CtB in a map wich don't require rythm at all is just uninterresting and borring, and if I didn't find those kind of maps when I've started it i'll propably get borred of the mode and just look for taiko instead.
Tsukasa
My eyes hurt when i play taiko. And i need myperfect 20/20 vision for a certain school
Sieg
My eyes hurts. :(
Senhime
Having difficulties learning it. Maybe it's because I haven't played the right maps yet, I dno. I cba to bother with Taiko anyway.
Yakuyan
Dont have good motion vision so cant focus unless I blink every beat. Including that I see red but i press blue. But I play Taiko from time to time.
rickyboi
I am color blind.

Please don't laugh.
Anzo

rickyboi wrote:

I am color blind.

Please don't laugh.
^that's not a laughing matter anyways, but I don't know if some taiko players are color blind.

Can't play taiko because of my hands, it gets too tired so easily.
And I'm not good at things that are moving fast in motion.
Posse
I don't play it just because I don't have the drums (when I played it in Japan it was fucking awesome), playing it with the keyboard is like playing guitar hero with a joystick, it definitely doesn't appeal to me.
Xaffy
Those sideways moving circles make me sick/dizzy/hurts my eyes. I can't even spec someone playing taiko.
Yuugo
I usually end up drumming my own rhythm instead of following the real notes.. and my eyesight gets really weird when I'm done with a taiko map (same happens when playing guitar hero)
KinomiCandy
Because Taiko sucks.
Hydra
Becouse Taiko sucks.
laport
I consider standard the only game that matters to me.
taiko/ctb are jokes to me, both can be fun for 1 minute with relax mod.
I delete taiko maps because they get in the way.
But at least in taiko hidden flashlight records are legit and not cheated like 99.9% of them all are in osu.
YayaBunWa
Hurts my eyes too much to keep up. The amount of reflex/pattern training I'd have to do to get even slightly good is ridiculous.

Tl;dr More interest in Standard.
Aqo
For all the people who say taiko makes their eyes dizzy: make sure your frame limiter is set to UNLIMITED, with 60/vsync it's literally unwatchable and with 120 limit only the slower maps will be watchable. Also, use a small window for taiko. On my laptop's LCD, I play standard fullscreen but taiko on 640x480 window, because taiko is easier on the eyes with smaller screen size. Try it.
those

Aqo wrote:

For all the people who say taiko makes their eyes dizzy: make sure your frame limiter is set to UNLIMITED, with 60/vsync it's literally unwatchable and with 120 limit only the slower maps will be watchable. Also, use a small window for taiko. On my laptop's LCD, I play standard fullscreen but taiko on 640x480 window, because taiko is easier on the eyes with smaller screen size. Try it.
You're funny. I can't play without vsync, 60fps limiter. Taiko is also not easier on the eyes with a smaller screen size. I don't know where you get your info from.
BrokenArrow

laport wrote:

But at least in taiko hidden flashlight records are legit and not cheated like 99.9% of them all are in osu.
I lol'd so hard.
those

BrokenArrow wrote:

laport wrote:

I lol'd so hard.
Not sure if srs
Sander-Don

laport wrote:

LOL
Backfire

Sander-Don wrote:

laport wrote:

LOL
PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFT
Aqo

those wrote:

Aqo wrote:

You're funny. I can't play without vsync, 60fps limiter. Taiko is also not easier on the eyes with a smaller screen size. I don't know where you get your info from.
I guess you must see things very differently? On all 3 of the monitors I use taiko is much easier to follow with a smaller screen size, a bigger one makes it hard on the eyes with high slider speeds
Minty Gum
I just prefer standard. Taiko is fine occasionally, like if I'm sitting on an airplane and can't plug in my tablet. I like standard because it combines drawing and music into 1 product. It's artistic to me.
silmarilen
other: never tried it.
Garven
I play at a Muzu level in TnT.

I find most Oni difficulties to be ridiculously overmapped to be unappealing to even listen to against the music (same extends to a lot of osu! standard Insane maps, but I digress...)
those

Aqo wrote:

I guess you must see things very differently? On all 3 of the monitors I use taiko is much easier to follow with a smaller screen size, a bigger one makes it hard on the eyes with high slider speeds
Once again, I don't know where you get your info from.
BrokenArrow

those wrote:

Aqo wrote:

Once again, I don't know where you get your info from.
I guess from his own experience, isn't that obvious?
Da7shadow
:x
nikoniko777
I get so confused about when to hit red, when to hit blue and when to hit both keys when there's a big drum! Though when I get around to practising Taiko mode more perhaps I will (slowly) get better!
show more