forum

Yes, it's another guy with streaming problems.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
ondoQueen
I know. There is million posts about this matter but why i can't learn how to STREAM! I don't want to hear git gud bcs that's what I'm trying to do.

So I have been playing this game for 14 months now and I will have soon 700h which basically means 50h in month, so it's not like I don't play the game enough or am I wrong?

And now you say that It'S nOT GoiNG tO HelP iF yOu doN'T pRACtiCe sTReamINg. For the last few months I have been playing almost only stream maps and I have over thousand map collection of stream maps and I play it everytime I play osu.

I really love this game and I want to keep playing it, but I'm seriously starting to lose motivation because my inability to learn streaming.

So if you have ANY advice, links to other forums, threads videos (which I have probably seen already, but it doesn't hurt), good practice map links, ways to practice, things to keep look at when streaming and I will even take motivational stories and rep talks for f*ck's sake.

Right now I can stream about 140 bpm but I can do faster with shorter streams(which makes me think it's stamina or technique problem). I am very unconsistent at streams even in bpms that I can stream. Also triples are quite challenging when there are many in a row. Aaaand fast changes of pace are hard.

(Don't mind grammar mistakes if you understand the point.)
Deva
Well you gave us literally no information to work with. How are we supposed to give you appropriate advice?

It could be your posture, your hand posture, you not relaxing enough, you having a shitty keyboard, you having a shitty pc/laptop, you playing the wrong kind of maps, pushing yourself too much, pushing yourself too little, you having really bad reading, you having really bad aim, you having bad muscle memory for streams and just reinforcing it with all that practice.

It could be literally anything so please provide more information.
MrGarebear2000
oof almost 700hr playtime and can only stream 140 bpm? You need to play longer maps and do consistency training.
Topic Starter
ondoQueen

Deva wrote:

Well you gave us literally no information to work with. How are we supposed to give you appropriate advice?

It could be your posture, your hand posture, you not relaxing enough, you having a shitty keyboard, you having a shitty pc/laptop, you playing the wrong kind of maps, pushing yourself too much, pushing yourself too little, you having really bad reading, you having really bad aim, you having bad muscle memory for streams and just reinforcing it with all that practice.

It could be literally anything so please provide more information.

Well some of those things might be hard to describe but I will try.
There is really nothing special in my posture. Sit on bench trying to keep my back straight legs are where they are. I actually bought new chair to be able to keep my hand little higher.

My arm (from wrist to elbow) is about horizontal. Often lift my wrist from the table when playing but don't really notice any difference when trying to stream. Tapping style is bit of mix between one tap and alternating. I have tried all kinds of different styles to stream but with quite a weak results.

I have actually thought quite a lot about not relaxing enough. I'm really tense when I try to do long streams but my arm just tenses after certain amount of fast taps in a row. This is probably due the fact that I played a lot of hard maps when I was about 300-600h. When I tried to pass those maps it really just went to button smashing which has ruined my muscle memory. + my form probably broke when trying to do those high bpm bursts. I mean I have been able to fc t-pazolite's call me it. https://osu.ppy.sh/beatmapsets/291155/#osu/655680 streams but 140 bpm is absolute maximum in over 20-circle streams in a good day.

Well my keyboard is shit. It was just cheapest mechanical I could find. Exibel GKX-C is model. Keys are very loose which makes me bottom my keys very easily. + durability is shit. I alredy broke when playing osu but got new one with a warranty. (osu keys didn't register hits anymore)

I had shitty pc which was had input lags all the time but that's not problem anymore.

Well I have 12k maps so there are all kinds of maps but when I practice I usually first play long slow streams and then fast short ones and then keep switching between them. One what I play quite often is deathstream compilation NFHT https://osu.ppy.sh/beatmapsets/40405/#osu/171943 For fast maps are usually 170-240 bpm.

I don't think my reading is terrible and I don't get how it would affect my streaming so if you could explain that a bit?

My aim is only thing that's got me to 40k. Some days it's better than others. Ghost rule 98% acc 1 miss till streams and then death :D. https://osu.ppy.sh/beatmapsets/425169/#osu/951132

I don't know if I push myself enough. I play hard and easy maps. Specially easy stream maps lately which has helped me to relax a bit in a short streams. (basically bursts)

If I really just have made myself terrible muscle memory you have any tips in overwriting it, except another 700h of playing which is obvious.

I hope there was something you wanted to hear.

MrGarebear2000 wrote:

oof almost 700hr playtime and can only stream 140 bpm? You need to play longer maps and do consistency training.

I don't really get how longer maps will help me in improving at streams but if you with consistency training mean play easier maps trying to get high acc and combo I have done that a lot recently.
Almost

FINondo wrote:

I don't think my reading is terrible and I don't get how it would affect my streaming so if you could explain that a bit?

Stream reading is basically your stream aim. Aiming streams isn't really that hard if you think about it since all the circles are next to each other. Stream reading comes in the most when the object density is higher, the streams are widely spaced and the streams and oddly shaped (think zig-zag shapes). Stream reading is all about concentration so it's best to learn stream reading on low AR streams.
h1k4r4
For me, improving my accuracy somehow improved my streams too. Somehow. I don't really know why. Maybe you might want to try it too? Try to get 99%+ accuracy when you play, stream map or not.
MrGarebear2000
Playing longer maps helps build stamina needed to stream. For example you said you played the deathstream compilation with NFHT which is a fairly long map. If you played a couple maps that are 4+ mins long with good acc or FC (even better) every day, you would probably be able to handle the strain of streaming longer.
Topic Starter
ondoQueen
Thanks for all the answers by far!

Almost wrote:

FINondo wrote:

Stream reading is basically your stream aim. Aiming streams isn't really that hard if you think about it since all the circles are next to each other. Stream reading comes in the most when the object density is higher, the streams are widely spaced and the streams and oddly shaped (think zig-zag shapes). Stream reading is all about concentration so it's best to learn stream reading on low AR streams.

Ok. I think that's not a big problem for me. Of course some hard maps can be difficult but that isn't my main problem in streaming.

h1k4r4 wrote:

For me, improving my accuracy somehow improved my streams too. Somehow. I don't really know why. Maybe you might want to try it too? Try to get 99%+ accuracy when you play, stream map or not.

I have noticed it too. And it also helps to get better scores at more difficult maps. I'm not sure
why it helps with streams but I think that it might have something to do with finger control. When playing easier maps you don't have to rush with your fingers that much which makes the streams bit more controlled too. Maybe? Don't take that seriously bcs it was just a random thought I came up with.

MrGarebear2000 wrote:

Playing longer maps helps build stamina needed to stream. For example you said you played the deathstream compilation with NFHT which is a fairly long map. If you played a couple maps that are 4+ mins long with good acc or FC (even better) every day, you would probably be able to handle the strain of streaming longer.

It probably is part stamina problem and it's not like you can have too much of it. Are you supposed to feel strain in your hand when you are running out of stamina? Because I'm not really sure why I slow down so fast when streaming. I don't feel tired or anything like that. It just slows down and I feel like forcing it.

Also I forgot to write about the streaming movement itself. Are you supposed to twist your hand sideways when you stream? Or move your hand up and down like when tapping? And do your keys hit the bottom when you stream? I feel like I do a lot of streaming with fingers only which could explain my ability to do only short streams but I don't really get the streaming technique.
NixXSkate
Please show us a video of your current stream technique. 140bpm seems abnormally low, and that's coming from someone that also had a lot of problems improving speed. Can you singletap? Show us a video, I've played this game for so long that seeing a handcam and replay can basically put me into your shoes. Also, keep in mind sometimes a muscle reset is needed, don't hesitate to take a month long break if improving your speed is that much of a massive issue.

Currently, it sounds like you need a completely different technique. It sounds like you're most likely completely isolating your fingers, which some players manage to do well, but it's very genetic. If you learned how to play like a singletapper, you would probably understand how to use your wrist more to tap. I gave up trying to learn finger isolated streaming because it was too slow to improve and very hard to apply force, so I learned how to stream using my wrist. Although I wouldn't consider myself a good streamer, it definitely brought me to a new level of streaming. Try to learn to use more muscles in your forearm, and possibly change up your playstyle.
UnnamedBeast
first of all, you gotta start by building stamina. A lot of stamina. I did this by playing https://osu.ppy.sh/beatmapsets/72474/#osu/207692 150bpm 5 times in a row when i could only stream 160-170bpm max.

You should probably start with the 120bpm 5 times, then the 140 5 times, next day do just 140.

After a few days your stamina is probably godlike but your hands might be sore because doing the map 5 times with no breaks whatsoever is very hard and tiring and if you're not careful you might get RSI off of it, but it's not that common. Try doing a BPM until you can >98% it. Seriously, you want to stream it with good acc and stamina. Just don't get too obsessed with getting only a 97.5% acc or something, it's pretty much good enough at that point.

For speed? I'd literally just progress in stream maps difficulty, go from 5* stream maps, then do 6* stream maps(dragonforce maps etc) and then 7*, but remember practice a lot of streams in each difficulty.

Or you could always keep practicing stamina but on higher bpms
Topic Starter
ondoQueen

UnnamedBeast wrote:

first of all, you gotta start by building stamina. A lot of stamina. I did this by playing https://osu.ppy.sh/beatmapsets/72474/#osu/207692 150bpm 5 times in a row when i could only stream 160-170bpm max.

You should probably start with the 120bpm 5 times, then the 140 5 times, next day do just 140.

After a few days your stamina is probably godlike but your hands might be sore because doing the map 5 times with no breaks whatsoever is very hard and tiring and if you're not careful you might get RSI off of it, but it's not that common. Try doing a BPM until you can >98% it. Seriously, you want to stream it with good acc and stamina. Just don't get too obsessed with getting only a 97.5% acc or something, it's pretty much good enough at that point.

For speed? I'd literally just progress in stream maps difficulty, go from 5* stream maps, then do 6* stream maps(dragonforce maps etc) and then 7*, but remember practice a lot of streams in each difficulty.

Arms are heavy

I played 5 times 120 bpm and then tried one time 140 bpm after that. I was able to do 120 bpm streaming pretty nicely in terms of speed. I just had problems maintaining right speed which dropped my accuracy quite a lot. At best my accuracy was 87 with combo of 1.5k. I tried once 140 bpm after playing 120 5 times in a row but hand was so tired I got 33% acc :D.

NixXSkate wrote:

Please show us a video of your current stream technique. 140bpm seems abnormally low, and that's coming from someone that also had a lot of problems improving speed. Can you singletap? Show us a video, I've played this game for so long that seeing a handcam and replay can basically put me into your shoes. Also, keep in mind sometimes a muscle reset is needed, don't hesitate to take a month long break if improving your speed is that much of a massive issue.

Currently, it sounds like you need a completely different technique. It sounds like you're most likely completely isolating your fingers, which some players manage to do well, but it's very genetic. If you learned how to play like a singletapper, you would probably understand how to use your wrist more to tap. I gave up trying to learn finger isolated streaming because it was too slow to improve and very hard to apply force, so I learned how to stream using my wrist. Although I wouldn't consider myself a good streamer, it definitely brought me to a new level of streaming. Try to learn to use more muscles in your forearm, and possibly change up your playstyle.

I will try to put togehther video this weekend. I can single tap around 200-215bpm depending on a day. I used to single tap whenever possible but now I have been trying to practice alternating for higher bpms. It has become kind of mixed style but I'm still most comfortable single tapping jumps. I use often my second finger to hit the first circle after slider and if there are lot of sliders I might alternate them.
UnnamedBeast

FINondo wrote:

[quote="UnnamedBeast"]first of all, you gotta start by building stamina. A lot of stamina. I did this by playing https://osu.ppy.sh/beatmapsets/72474/#osu/207692 150bpm 5 times in a row when i could only stream 160-170bpm max.

Arms are heavy

I played 5 times 120 bpm and then tried one time 140 bpm after that. I was able to do 120 bpm streaming pretty nicely in terms of speed. I just had problems maintaining right speed which dropped my accuracy quite a lot. At best my accuracy was 87 with combo of 1.5k. I tried once 140 bpm after playing 120 5 times in a row but hand was so tired I got 33% acc :D.

Do the 140bpm today then (the next day) to improve at streaming you gotta practice it everyday for atleast an hour if you can
Topic Starter
ondoQueen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbryUYmptjE&t=28s

I tried to do video of me streaming. Now, don't be amazed by my superior editing skills nor my camera which didn't focus on my hand for some reason. Also the gameplay is crap even for me. I can try to do better one if you wish but send me a map link of the map you want to see.
NixXSkate
Yeah I would just learn to stream with wrist. Don't even bother trying to move your middle finger individually, just keep it stiff in place.
Here's some videos to reference:

WubWoofWolf playing Mytholigia's End
sayonara-bye liveplay (notice the thumb)
sayonara-bye liveplay (alternate angle)
rrtyui playing Freedom Dive

You don't have to do it exactly as they do, but try to understand the muscles being used to get their fingers down. They aren't moving their fingers individually. Might also want to try singletapping for a bit. Alternating is good, but harder to improve speed if all you ever do is alternate, especially if you're naturally slow. Also is your arm not resting and completely raised? If so, please don't do that. Press it against the table, use a towel if you have to if it's too uncomfortable to get used to.