Total Posts
show more
Rena-chan

Nanael wrote:

iMercurial wrote:

nope.avi

Dental Care Thread.
Your dental care seems masochism to me.
Someone doesn't take proper care of their teeth.
Nanael_old
Are you serious? Since when having icecream with bad/broken teeth is healthy?
Mercurial
My dentist told me that.

'cuz the cold is good for you.
Nanael_old

iMercurial wrote:

My dentist told me that.

Thus what I said, I have sensible teeth, the only thought of icecream pains me, I wouldn't want to be in LunaticMara's place, god save his soul.
Mercurial

Nanael wrote:

iMercurial wrote:

My dentist told me that.

Thus what I said, I have sensible teeth, the only thought of icecream pains me, I wouldn't want to be in LunaticMara's place, god save his soul.
If you have a sensible teeth, just don't eat anything and resist the hunger until the next day.

I dunno.
Dafydd
Man, that sure must be painful.
A few years back, I had tooth decay on my premolar (didn't go detected because one of my dentists failed on fixing it way back) and it did sure hurt a lot.
Daru

Krisom
Daru go draw a loli version of mara's tooth gogogogogo*shot*
Jarby

Krisom wrote:

Daru go draw a loli version of mara's tooth gogogogogo*shot*
I'll do it with a magical girl twist.

adam2046
This thread lacks actual dentists.
Fabi
Is she going to meet the fairy tooth?
Shellghost
Sinistro fainted after reading the OP.
Vish024
'ave a cry.
Sinistro
Took long enough for my name to come up. I'd have made a poor dentist indeed if I fainted after seeing an extracted tooth, though. After all, in my profession it's far more likely to see damaged teeth than healthy ones. Ok, let's see...

Nothing particularly bad will happen to you if you don't replace your missing molar immediately. Assuming you haven't lost a lot more teeth, your masticatory function, aesthetics, occlusion forces and articulation will hardly suffer at all. Still, if you delay significantly (to the tune of some years), the tooth above and the teeth on either side of your molar will start to move in the space left by it, which can make finding room for its replacement harder.

When/If you decide to do something about it, the most obvious prosthetic choices are either a bridge or an implant. A bridge is much cheaper and takes far less time to make, but it requires drilling the teeth on either side of the missing one to fit them with support crowns, potentially wasting perfectly healthy tooth tissue. The implant has a higher survival rate compared to bridges and does not need any teeth drilled (just bone, which will heal), but it takes longer to finish and is really expensive.

Ice cream can sometimes help with dental pain. Its low temperature can relieve chronic pulpitis (a stage at which your tooth's nerves are pretty much screwed and will unfortunately need a root canal) and it's also suitable for diminishing the inevitable swelling after an impacted tooth's extraction. Ice can do the job just as well, of course, but it doesn't taste sweet.

As far as brushing your teeth like a good boy goes, it's not enough to do it frequently. You also need to do it right.

I'm a bit surprised that something like that's happened to a young Finn, though. I've heard that dental health in Skandinavia is top notch. Maybe it was just Sweden?

Ok, pardon my intrusion. Back to Off-Topic.
Vish024
I'll be the first to pedantically point out that Finland isn't in Scandinavia.
UnderminE
A bridge is not that bad actually. I also have one for almost 1 year and doing good with it. I was scared when I heard about "drilling" part though. Also "potentially wasting perfectly healthy tooth tissue" you said. If a molar looks like this, I can not be sure about others' perfection.

And yeah, an implant would be very very expensive for him. Though It's still the best option.
Topic Starter
Mara

Sinistro wrote:

I'm a bit surprised that something like that's happened to a young Finn, though. I've heard that dental health in Skandinavia is top notch. Maybe it was just Sweden?
Finland is not part of Scandinavia, but there is supposed to be good teeth care in Finland. I just suck at protecting my teeth, apparently.

I wonder what does bridge or implant cost?
Mercurial

Sinistro wrote:

Ice cream can sometimes help with dental pain. Its low temperature can relieve chronic pulpitis (a stage at which your tooth's nerves are pretty much screwed and will unfortunately need a root canal) and it's also suitable for diminishing the inevitable swelling after an impacted tooth's extraction. Ice can do the job just as well, of course, but it doesn't taste sweet.
Yup.
Wojjan
Mara at least over here social security covers most of the cost. Tooth care (braces + dentistry + wisdom teeth operation) in total went little over 1000 for me, IIRC. I should get the files.
thelewa
Before the age of 15 every dental operation is free in Finland, don't really have any idea about anything else though
Sinistro

LunaticMara wrote:

I wonder what does bridge or implant cost?
Prices can vary between countries, but I expect the ratio to remain the same. FWIW, over here an implant is about 6-7 times more expensive than an equivalent bridge.
Topic Starter
Mara

ragelewa wrote:

Before the age of 15 every dental operation is free in Finland, don't really have any idea about anything else though
I think it's 18, bro.

Sinistro wrote:

6-7 times more expensive
Holy. Shit.
kriers
my last visit at the dentist cost me 380 € gg
thelewa

LunaticMara wrote:

I think it's 18, bro.
Sucks to be an adult then
ReVeNg3r

kriers wrote:

lol,my was about 20€ , 5 years ago ,i guess
laport

ReVeNg3r wrote:

kriers wrote:

because minimum wages:

Slovakia 327.00 euros /month based on a 40hr week
Norway €1600.00 /month based on a 37.5hr week (There's no legal minimum wage in Norway, but entry level jobs usually pay a minimum of 133.46 NOK per hour. At 37.5 hours per week, this equals about 21800 NOK in a month (=1600 euro))
Topic Starter
Mara
oh right

I did read your PM bro, it actually gave me a boner
ReVeNg3r

ReVeNg3r wrote:

kriers wrote:

LOL, i forgot 5 years ago we didn't even have euros :D