forum

General Football/Soccer Thread

posted
Total Posts
show more
SpeechClass
I wish uruguay get next round ticket. I want more suarez's match!!
SpeechClass

Leader wrote:

With the little difference that Costa Rica wasn't advantaged by refeeres and FIFA because they were the host country :P
Yeah, but Korea had many injured man in Italy's Elbow attack.. ;)
I agree Korea had some home advantage in 2002, but Don't underestimate Korea's 4th in 2002

Leader wrote:

Anyway well played to Costa Rica, that shit happens way too often when Italy has to play with lower teams: they NEVER try to put much effort as they do on important matches. I hate this behaviour.
Italy have to have more good movement, hard working. they don't like in 2012
Kanye West

Nuix wrote:

i don't really like football/soccer.

Then don't post in the thread? You'd think this would be common sense, but nope apparently that's a luxury.
Magicphoenix

LaVolpe024 wrote:

They should be fine, though I think Ghana will be a sterner test than Portugal who basically didn't even show up.

This world cup is shaping up to be something monumental, I'd love to see a new winner this year. Chile, Colombia, Netherlands (as long as they don't do a '74 and get cocky), Germany and France have all looked very keen so far.
what happened to netherlands in '74? Aside the fact that they lost in the finals ofc
Vish024
Well putting aside the alleged "poolside party with naked girls days before the game" story by Bild, several German players reported after the final that in the tunnel before kick off the Dutch looked extremely arrogant and that they barely celebrated the first goal. They then started passing the ball about extravagantly and flaunting their skills and before they could say "kanker" they had conceded two and started desperately chasing the game.

Sums up England's performances...sort of.

Tanzklaue

LaVolpe024 wrote:

Tanzklaue wrote:

I think uruguay has a fair chance winning against italy, and i root for them
I'll back Italy to tame the beast that is Suarez and clean up Uruguay, all they need is a draw since their goal difference is better. Always been a fan of Italian football, I'm sure they'll pull through.
interesting, i personally think that there is nothing more boring to watch than italy's "get into the lead, then defend it with 10 man back" strategy.
Vish024
That's a stereotype, Italian football is about getting results ahead of playing an attractive style. It doesn't necessarily mean just parking the bus, Italian sides switch formation and strategy several times during a game. There are famously attractive Italian sides like Herrera's Inter in the '60s, Arrigo Sacchi's Milan in the late '80s and early '90s, the '90s Juve squadron with Del Piero, Baggio, Vialli and co., and more recently Udinese and Parma. There were some spectacularly attacking moves executed by the defensively oriented side that won the 2006 world cup, that night when they beat Germany in extra time with two quick goals in that stadium that the Germans had never perviously lost in was a great example of this.

Having said that Prandelli's side is much more attacking than previous sides, it challenges the stereotype. If they can quell Suarez and his partner in crime Cavani they can pull off a positive result and they have the players that can do it in the shape of Giorgio Chiellini and Leo Bonucci.
AutoMedic

Nuix wrote:

i don't really like football/soccer.

then get outta here
Kanye West
SpeechClass
fuckin Iran :x
They are not playing soccer
But Argentina do not finish in chance, they have to run more!
JonnyThatJonny
I'm okay with Iran's antics. Just because Costa Rica is ballsy enough to go out attacking doesn't mean every underdog can fight that same way. Anyway Queiroz is all about defense, he was the same for us in 2010 even being Portugal (and the biggest reason everyone wanted him out after our elimination).
Mismagius
Argentina confirmed for Brazil #2 in this world cup. France, Germany, Netherlands and maaaaybe Brazil are going to fight for the trophy this time.
Kanye West
WOW, that should have been a penalty for Iran. Nice refereeing.
Tanzklaue

Blue Dragon wrote:

Argentina confirmed for Brazil #2 in this world cup. France, Germany, Netherlands and maaaaybe Brazil are going to fight for the trophy this time.
as a german: i only fear france this world cup.
SpeechClass
Iran got chance draw with Argentina. But Argentina has messi. messi is messi!
Mismagius
Messi 1-0 Iran
[- Alex -]

Blue Dragon wrote:

Messi 1-0 Iran

haha
SpeechClass

Blue Dragon wrote:

Messi 1-0 Iran
lol :lol:
Fabi
MESSI MESSI MESSI MESSI MESSI MESSI MESSI MESSI MESSI MESSI MESSI MESSI MESSI MESSI MESSI MESSI MESSI MESSI MESSI MESSI MESSI MESSI MESSI MESSI MESSI MESSI MESSI MESSI MESSI MESSI MESSI MESSI MESSI MESSI MESSI MESSI MESSI MESSI MESSI MESSI MESSI MESSI MESSI MESSI MESSI MESSI MESSI MESSI MESSI MESSI MESSI MESSI
[- Alex -]

Fabi wrote:

MESSI MESSI MESSI MESSI MESSI MESSI MESSI MESSI MESSI MESSI MESSI MESSI MESSI MESSI MESSI MESSI MESSI MESSI MESSI MESSI MESSI MESSI MESSI MESSI MESSI MESSI MESSI MESSI MESSI MESSI MESSI MESSI MESSI MESSI MESSI MESSI MESSI MESSI MESSI MESSI MESSI MESSI MESSI MESSI MESSI MESSI MESSI MESSI MESSI MESSI MESSI MESSI

Seems Legit.
Mikelicious

Fabi wrote:

Trash Boat
even if we won, that last comment from the DT made my brother facepalm
"With Messi, everything is possible"
bmin11
This is one WC I'm glad that I'm not betting with anyone.
Tanzklaue
this was embarassingly bad. this was the germany i was afraid would show up. nobody moves, everyone is lethargic, and critical errors happen all the fucking time. if it wasn't for the efforts of neuer, müller, schweinsteiger and klose we would've lost that game.

goetze, mustafi, lahm and hoewedes should be fucking ashamed after this showing. i don't want them to give any smug commentaries from this point on.
Laharl

Tanzklaue wrote:

goetze, mustafi, lahm and hoewedes should be fucking ashamed after this showing.
I agree with you in terms of Mustafi & Lahm, but Goetze & Hoewedes weren't even that bad. The former scored a goal, the latter prepared the second one.
Trash Boat
they were too Klose
xsrsbsns
dat neuer throw tho
Tanzklaue

Laharl wrote:

Tanzklaue wrote:

goetze, mustafi, lahm and hoewedes should be fucking ashamed after this showing.
I agree with you in terms of Mustafi & Lahm, but Goetze & Hoewedes weren't even that bad. The former scored a goal, the latter prepared the second one.
goetze did nothing, never ran when he should've ran, and the goal was pure luck.

and hoewedes did everything except defending properly. now we need to win against the USA to advance :/
Kanye West
The Neuer thing was hilarious though. Pretty funny when he was just like, fuck it, and kicked it anyway
Vish024
Oh bloody hell, my alarm went off for the GER-GHA game and I switched it off and slipped back into my slumber thinking "Nah I've been waking up too much recently, too tired today, give it a break, Germany should clean them up anyway". I could go on another rant about how timezones suck but fuck that. Guess I'll watch the replay later on in the day.
Tanzklaue

LaVolpe024 wrote:

Oh bloody hell, my alarm went off for the GER-GHA game and I switched it off and slipped back into my slumber thinking "Nah I've been waking up too much recently, too tired today, give it a break, Germany should clean them up anyway". I could go on another rant about how timezones suck but fuck that. Guess I'll watch the replay later on in the day.
you don't need to. it was an awful game from both sides, with ghana playing the most boring defensive football imaginable snd germany played like spain aka really sloppily and bad..

really, the only part that wasn't a total bore was after the 70th minute.
Vish024
Just watched the full replay and I beg to differ, just because no goals were scored it doesn't mean that period of the game was automatically boring. Both teams showed ambition in the first half but the defenses displayed solidity and Ghana weren't playing defensively at all. Atsu and A. Ayew were being quite creative, Muntari had some good efforts saved by Neuer and Germany's full backs werel struggling to adapt to their game, probably why J. Boateng was brought off later on.

The issues with Germany are:

1) They're not playing natural full backs, Hoewedes and Boateng are centre backs and are used to playing there regularly for their clubs. They're struggling to get used to the pace and speed of playing at right and left back.

2) Gotze and Ozil are players of similar style, attacking-minded number 10s who are used to playing through the centre for club and country. Ozil isn't quick enough to play down the right side, he was constantly cutting in and running through the centre throughout the game. Gotze has speed but his crossing is poor, he doesn't seem to react quick enough to the opposition full backs.

3) Merte needs a defender who can cover him and he's used to that at Arsenal where Koscielny, a centre back with good pace, is able to compensate for his lack of speed and mobility. Hummels isn't used to providing coverage.

The solutions, in my opinion, are:

-Drop Merte and play Hoewedes instead alongside Hummels at centre back.
-Drop Boateng and play Großkreutz at right back. Großkreutz has always been a consistent performer for BVB in that position, I don't understand why Low refuses to play him.
-Now that Schweini is back play him as the holding midfielder alongside Kroos and let Lahm return to his natural left back position. Side note: Lahm is a proper engine, he's been Germany's best man so far. Always giving 100%, very consistent even when playing out of position. All round fantastic player, deserves a fucking statue in Munich.
-Play Ozil in front of Kroos and Schweini, he's more experienced than Gotze. Sub Gotze for Ozil if Ozil is slowing down later in the game.
-Play Muller out on the right, he has good technique, vision and adaptability. He'll make good runs and moves there.
-Play Poldi on the left, he's pacy, has a wicked cross and is capable of linking with the midfield well.
-Put Klose up front, he's a great poacher and a fantastic header of the ball and damn consistent for club and country. Let him chase that record as well.

Ideally:

-------------------------Neuer------------------
Großkreutz----Hummels---Hoewedes----Lahm
--------------Schweini---------Kroos--------------
---Muller----------------Ozil---------------Poldi---
-------------------------Klose----------------------
Cyclohexane
hi i heard we were a shit team :^)

I seriously think USA have a shot at their group btw, all they need is a win against a strong team yes, but I think they have the potential.
Vish024
Well it's a massive improvement from 2010, at least the squad and manager can sleep well without thinking of stabbing a knife into each other's necks.

USA should go through comfortably now, they have the advantage over Ghana and Portugal. Portugal isn't particularly strong, aside from Ronaldo they look a pretty average side.
SpeechClass
What the fuuuuuuuuuuu..
Korea Shooting:0
bmin11
Hey guys have you guys bought Papers Please from this steam sell yet I actually tried the game while on beta and it was pretty fun so I just bought it I might as well play it right now since I'm free of time all of a sudden k see you guys later bye

EDIT: ... I'll have my radio on atleast
Cherry Blossom
This game is funny ;)
bmin11
We just have to hope Belgium will give us an easy time
Vish024
Jermaine Jones what a strike, what an absolute piledriver, USA have played well this second half and now with this sort of momentum they could go the whole hog and take 3 points.
Glass
USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA
show more