forum

changing pp system

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Colm
wouldn't doing std pp like mania fix the problem peppy is trying to fix right now?

having acc be the bonus instead of fc'ing a song would stop low rank players from farming things far above their skill level, and require the player to be capable of playing the map well and not just spam or get lucky
Full Tablet
While I agree that accuracy is a better indicator of performance than combo, just changing the system so combo doesn't matter as much wouldn't work well, or even make things even worse, if other things aren't changed as well.

If combo bonus was reduced, farming maps would change from what they are to marathon-sized maps that begin the same way as the previous farming maps (which are usually rather short), but followed by extremely easy notes (so players can get free acc%). The Aim and Speed difficulty ratings used for pp calculations are better at telling how hard the hardest part of the map is, than telling how hard is to get decent performance overall on the map.

The difficulty variables would need to change from single numbers to functions that tells how hard is to get certain performance in a map.

There is also the problem that, while changing the system so combo doesn't matter as much could make the rankings more accurate in terms of judging how well each player plays, many players like playing for combo and enjoy being rewarded for getting full combos.
Edgar_Figaro
Mania has the "spam" problem probably worse than STD. Which this is because people spam to pass stuff and as long as they can get a halfway decent score they will get alot of PP. Which in order to pass you generally need a halfway decent score (except at really early level maps)

The problem isn't from combo per-say but the fact of "where you miss" matters. In theory a miss is a miss no matter where the heck it happens. Yet by making it combo driven as long as the miss is towards the beggining or end then it won't affect PP much. Which means mapper can make maps that abuse this by intentionally having difficulty spikes at the beggining or end. As long as people can spam through these sections and FC the rest of the map they will still get alot of PP.

Solution imo is not to remove "combo" from the scoring but instead make "combo" be about how many objects succesfully hit in the map vs number of objects missed. This way where you missed would no longer matter and difficulty spikes would be less broken if at beggining or end.

While I do think Accuracy should be slightly more weighted than it currently is (to stop C rank top scores and the like) I think combo is also important or we have the same problem as Mania.

So what's a good middleground system? Something more on the lines of Taiko's PP system although with more emphasis on miss count and less on accuracy.
Topic Starter
Colm

Edgar_Figaro wrote:

Mania has the "spam" problem probably worse than STD. Which this is because people spam to pass stuff and as long as they can get a halfway decent score they will get alot of PP. Which in order to pass you generally need a halfway decent score (except at really early level maps)

The problem isn't from combo per-say but the fact of "where you miss" matters. In theory a miss is a miss no matter where the heck it happens. Yet by making it combo driven as long as the miss is towards the beggining or end then it won't affect PP much. Which means mapper can make maps that abuse this by intentionally having difficulty spikes at the beggining or end. As long as people can spam through these sections and FC the rest of the map they will still get alot of PP.

Solution imo is not to remove "combo" from the scoring but instead make "combo" be about how many objects succesfully hit in the map vs number of objects missed. This way where you missed would no longer matter and difficulty spikes would be less broken if at beggining or end.

While I do think Accuracy should be slightly more weighted than it currently is (to stop C rank top scores and the like) I think combo is also important or we have the same problem as Mania.

So what's a good middleground system? Something more on the lines of Taiko's PP system although with more emphasis on miss count and less on accuracy.

i actually really like this idea, and would like to see something more refined implemented into the game, unfortunate i dont have any control over this. sorry about the rough idea i got really mad last night when trying to farm and posted this
- Sandalphon -
there is a mode that nobody notice:D
taiko

8stars for about 450pp ~ thats kind:D

pls ignore my bad En
Edgar_Figaro

- Sandalphon - wrote:

there is a mode that nobody notice:D
taiko

8stars for about 450pp ~ thats kind:D

pls ignore my bad En

If you noticed Taiko was the mode I highlighted in my response.

As someone who plays all 4 modes actively I’ve seen the pros and cons of each system.
show more