forum

osu file format v6?

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
CheeseWarlock
So with storyboarding, there are lots of possibilities for the appearance of beatmaps. Now how about the actual workings of the beatmap? There are a lot of options that could be added to really bring the gameplay beyond what was possible in oto/eba. What I'm thinking here would probably have to be a new .osu file format...

functions/onClick events:
Storyboarding events that are written as functions, given names and then called at different points during the song or by hits. Events would have to have the option to occur at a specified x,y position for purposes of onClick; having a full variable-passing system would be optional.

Skin replacement:
A storyboarding function call that replaces a current skin element with a specified file within the folder. Images would have to be preloaded, of course.

More timing section options:
In DDR, there are some sections where the approach speed of the arrows changes suddenly. That could be implemented in osu! by allowing an approach rate per timing section. Slider velocity per section would allow different slider rates without changing the BPM (and even that really only allows doubles). Combo colours, circle size and HP drain could also be changeable.

Score points
The current scoring system is a bit linear, I find. Now obviously we don't want to delete all previous scores to implement a new scoring system, so one solution could be to allow songs to define the specifics of the scoring system, setting sections in the song where a multiplier is added to all points earned, the combo counter resets, etc.

Difficulty star modifier
The algorithms that determine difficulty stars are generally pretty good, but there are times when a map seems harder or easier than its star count would suggest. Maybe allow players to modify a map's difficulty by a certain amount (maybe half a star in either direction?)

I know that these ideas are a lot of work (and therefore wouldn't happen any time soon), and that they could be abused, but all I'm really doing here is considering ways in which the possibilities of beatmaps could be extended. Besides, abuse them and your map doesn't get ranked.

Thoughts, criticisms, additions to the list all welcome.