forum

Anti-Button suggestion - A deviation from the DS version.

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
tensheapz
So this is a bit of a rip from one of the DDR clones in the arcades, but here's my suggestion:

A beatmap element (button shaped? custom shaped?) that penalises the player if they put their mouse over that object - it gives them an X, reduces their health, breaks combo etc.

This introduces the potential more variety in the games, because players have to evade such zones. It also allows for spinners to no longer be a "who-can-twitch-their-hands-as-fast-as-possible-fest" and more of a skill test, as the author could place zones strategically around the spinner area such that the player has to navigate in a circle/oblong/whatever shape accurately. Or you could just put a zone right in the centre to require the player to balance between spin speed(closeness to centre) and risk of losing the combo.

This brings up the issue of whether it is better for Osu! to stay true to being a clone of Ouendan, or to deviate and take advantage of the differences between mice and stylus(eg, the inability to detect where the stylus is "hovering" over, but the ability to know where the mouse is when its not clicked).
I personally think that "extra" features should be allowed, and that whether or not these features are used should be the prerogative of the beatmap author. But then again, I haven't played Ouendan or EBA extensively myself, so I am biased in that I derive the same type of pleasure from having it being a clone of the DS version.

Any comments from the community, particularly about whether you think we should stick to being a clone or not, would be greatly appreciated.
peppy
I am personally neutral on this idea - will sway either way depending on the general community feedback. The only thing I'm worried about is over-complexifying the gameplay. So let's hear it - authentic Ouendan/EBA gameplay, or do we want to take the game to new levels?
ZZT the Fifth
I, for one, support keeping the gameplay mostly as it is. I find that part of Ouendan/EBA's attraction is its relatively simple gameplay; hitting, dragging, and spinning, and only having to do one at any given time.

Having to AVOID things, especially while you're spinning or dragging would only serve to complicate things, and I don't particularly want osu! to be more complicated... This is just my opinion, though.
Motto_old
I'm relatively neutral as well. The only requirement that I have about adding features, both new and original is that they end up being fun and don't overly complicate gameplay.

That being said, I am always willing to try something new to see if it's fun.
eyup
I agree with the above posts. I think at present, rather than think about including new features (which are possibly awesome, but take time to code and test), we should concentrate on making osu! a really stable, faithful clone of the DS game. Once the fundamental game itself is rock solid, then it might not hurt to experiment a bit to see if any new ideas such as anti-buttons can spice up the play or not.

Trust sheapz to try introducing DDR stuff to osu ^^
[deleted user]
I also support the above posts whole heartedly. Also I have a fear that people will start making silly things like 'mine mazes' where you have quickly move your mouse through a narrow maze of mines which would REALLY get annoying >_> which kind of defeats the purpose of the game.