forum

Note Placement Window [invalid]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
TheVileOne
The Idea

A window that contains features for selecting, moving, adjusting and placing objects on the timeline and screen. It could be multi-purposed. It should be able to

1. [maybe]Contain information about each note in a list similar to the Timing Edit window with notes instead of timing sections. Information about combo number, hitsound, start/end time, and x,y positioning can be included and changed through here. This information can only be accessed through the .osu and it's in a hard to read/understand format.
  2. Select notes/sliders within 2 offset points
  3. Move selected objects x number of ms. (Negative number will move back and positive moves forward) - (or perhaps a single destination time)
  4. Selecting a beat snap divisor to lock selected offsets to, so that note adjustments are guaranteed to be on a tick. (changes any result to nearest tick to that timing)
  5. Snap selected objects to specified Beat Snap Divisor (if timing setup window gets better, then this can be crossed out)
  6. Place an object at a specified offset (requires start/end for sliders and spinners)
  7. Allow mappers to select a x,y coordinate for note placement and movement (end points for sliders too)
  8. [maybe]Specify number of control points for a slider, and allow for equal adjustment of control points within the window and (perhaps more complex adjustments in a future update)
  9. [maybe]Include the scaling and rotation note windows as tabs to have a complete note editing area
  10. [maybe]Include safeguards for placing notes off screen or in the same tick area.

I think that covers most of the ideas I had in mind for such a feature. I think it would be beneficial to all tiers of mapping and give us more shortcuts for making perfect beatmaps. It could allow us to easily resnap a specific number of notes rather than all or nothing. It would also allow us to better adjust control points of sliders, and place notes more accurately than we can even with gridsnap off. An ergonomic design to selecting timing points could also make this idea less of a chore to do. Stacking notes perfectly may even take less time than the current method. All it would take is two offset points, and an x,y to stack everything perfectly.

Some parts of this idea will be more hard to code than others, but it would be worth it in the long run. This idea only needs to start with minimal features in the test build with a simple GUI, and features could be added progressively over time. AiMod was a work in progress. This could be an on-going project as well. Official inclusion of this window could potentially be the first step to a much more sophisticated pattern creation window where patterns could be molded with editor-assisted algorithms. I hope you agree with me on this idea.
Sakura
Well for one, most of the stuff you suggested can be done already, unsnapping objects is unrankable, x/y placement has been suggested before (although i cant find it right now).

All in all you want to make the editor complicated.

Leaning towards denying this Actually, denied.
Shiirn

Sakura Hana wrote:

Leaning towards denying this.
Topic Starter
TheVileOne
don't be so narow minded. I'm trying to include advanced options that other mapping editors have. It's very cumbersome to select large amounts of notes manually, you can't stack more than one object at once, it's not very simple if even possible to snap only a certain part of the song. There's no readable way to browse all the note placements and details in the map. A list would be more easily navigatible, allow more hotjumping without having to rely on cumbersome bookmarks.

What else?

It brings the scaling and rotation windows together for easier access to them. It allows for a more streamlined copying of objects and selecting objects. Combo patterns can be fixed within a list, instead of manually selecting each note and adding hitsounds that way. That process is contrived and inefficient.

i'm sure there are more things that I haven't mentioned.

Edit: Also there are some places on the screen that can't have notes placed on. the editor will not let you do it, even with grid snap off. Apart from modifying the .osu, you couldn't place a note there, but a slider end can go there.
Gens
It sounds like a good idea in concept (not having to open the .osu at all, but still having precision tools available [although I would lean for fewer/simpler features on this]), but a feature like this wouldn't be used much - the only ones who would use it would be perfectionist/expert mappers, and those already open the .osu to do such things. Once you understand the .osu syntax, it isn't very hard to do so.

Besides, having to spend time coding a redundant feature... doesn't motivate anyone. I think there are other priorities, after all.
Sakura

TheVileOne wrote:

don't be so narow minded. I'm trying to include advanced options that other mapping editors have. It's very cumbersome to select large amounts of notes manually, you can't stack more than one object at once, it's not very simple if even possible to snap only a certain part of the song. Actually it's possible, just use the snap to next tick button then snap to previous tick button with all the notes you want selected and voila!

There's no readable way to browse all the note placements and details in the map. Why do you want to browse all the notes in your map?, just look through your map and you can see them all placed already.

A list would be more easily navigatible, allow more hotjumping without having to rely on cumbersome bookmarks. Learn to use the jump to time(combo) feature, or use bookmarks

What else?

It brings the scaling and rotation windows together for easier access to them. They already have an easy enough access?

It allows for a more streamlined copying of objects and selecting objects. I never liked copy/paste, but you can do that already, selecting a group of notes and pressing ctrl+c then ctrl+v in fact selecting them from your window is way more complicated than that.

Combo patterns can be fixed within a list, instead of manually selecting each note and adding hitsounds that way. That process is contrived and inefficient. Do not screw up combos in the first place?, also i've never seen the need to use such a window to hitsound multiple notes.

i'm sure there are more things that I haven't mentioned.
Replied in quote.
Topic Starter
TheVileOne
Really Sakura. I want a specific reason why. I post several points why it should be allowed and you post zero points why it shouldn't.

And I browse through the notes for hotjumping. If I want to go to a particular combo, I can go into the list, and double click and I'm right there.

If you're just going to assume things then I'm rendering your opinion invalid. I can't believe you would senselessly place your opinion over the opinion of everyone else. I mean I haven't seen such a biased system as the feature req forum. I mean there's no room for even discussiona bout it, just deny for some selfish and rushed reason.

Really?

Why don't you give an idea a fair chance?
Sakura
Ok give me a reason why the editor should be more complicated when you can already do everything you mentioned within the current editor.

Edit: Are you sure you want to hotjump through a list that's going to be 100 times larger than the timing window rather than inputting the time where you want to hotjump to in the "jump to time" input screen?, have you ever seen how many hitobjects are in the .osu file? imaging browsing through all that in a smaller window like osu!'s timing window.
Topic Starter
TheVileOne
It isn't complicating things. I'm saying there's a lot of information stored about the Notes in the .osu that you can't see in a structured way. It's really hard to select largely spaced patterns in the timeline. Sometimes the copy function doesn't even work for me. Also when I want to test a pattern while maintaining the other pattern, I can't do this, because there's no empty part of the song to move the pattern to test a new pattern. This advanced situation could be manged through this window. I could select all the notes either manually or by specifying timings and tell it to move those to a place at the end of the song, so I can have enough space to try a new pattern.

If I save to test the pattern it's not like I can undo my changes. So if I delete a pattern and don't have a backup I will have to recreate that pattern again. This is the reason why I refuse to try some suggestions, if I make a mistake or end up not liking the changes, I can't easily make it as it was again.

Also I don't have to be physically at that point in the song to place notes there. It would remove the need for me to senseless jump across parts of the song. I could just stay in one spot.

Edit:

I have to say I think the note list would be most purposeful for self- checking through the map. More experience mappers/modders could identify hitsound patterns through the list and other things. I just don't know exactly what it could be used for without seeing it, but the information is a lot more useful in a list than in the .osu.
Sakura
Have you ever heard of cut and paste?