forum

General "post your illustrative art" thread

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
boat
Should be self explanatory enough.

A thread for everybody to post their illustrative work in order to get praise, critique, help or whatever the hell you're asking for.

Preferably only post work you've done yourself. If your "friend" wants to show off something he or she has created, then surely he can take one minute to register and post it him or herself.

A few rules and guidelines, to keep the thread clean and pretty, with no fighting. Take a minute to read through them, despite that it all should be pretty self explanatory.

SPOILER
* No avatars, signatures or anything that is brushsplatter over a render or stock image. Make a thread for it if you like, I frankly speaking don't care, but keep it out of here. Photographs that are post processed are of course fine, and do not fall under the same category. Vectors and cutouts, whatnot that isn't actually >artistic< shouldn't be posted. If you do got a bunch of stock images or resources that you created which you want to share, then feel free to post them in a spoiler.

* Don't post assuming that there wont be anybody to criticize your work. Don't bitch back, don't start a fight, peoples opinions and tastes differ, and if you just can't handle it, then at the very least specify that you don't want anybodys input on it (even though that doing so is a bit counter productive considering what the goal with this thread is). If someone does note down that he or she is not interested in opinions of such matter, then please shut your trap and move on. Its their loss if they don't want to improve, let them suit themselves.

* Do note that I specified "Illustrative work". Music, programming and whatnot, make a separate thread for it.

* NSFW tags are to be used if the content you post requires it. Use your logic. I've seen things posted in similar threads on various boards that aren't really meant to be viewed by twelve year olds.

* Don't be a dick, keep critique contructive and useful. Saying that something looks like shit wont help at all, whilst telling somebody that this and that looks shoddy or is wrong will quite obviously actually matter.

* No need to shitpost and try to be funny and witty. "Herp derp i drawed a doog in painte *posts a mouse drawn mspaint doodle of a male reproduction organ*" isn't funny.

* Requests can be placed if an artist does specify that he or she is up for it. Keep the requests elaborative and in as much detail as you can provide, but preferably keep the requesting itself in between you and the artist in question, although afterwards, feel free to post the outcome together with the request here. That goes for both the artist or person who requested the piece, but always give full credit to who did the piece.

Guess I'll start off with a doodle that I did earlier today.

thelewa
you do realize that this will not work unless you let people post doodles of dogs
Topic Starter
boat
Post doodles of dogs if you like. There is nothing which states that you can't or shouldn't.

But on the other hand.

failboat wrote:

* No need to shitpost and try to be funny and witty.
thelewa
I will fill this thread with dogs when morning comes

edit: it's morning but I don't feel like shitposting
Shiirn
/me signs up to moderate thread

bug me if shitposts
Bittersweet
Dunno if i should post it here, since its pretty much just a copy of an official artwork, but meh. took me two weeks to finish this. (/lazyness :3~)

ychao
Haven't really done much illustrative work myself lately so do excuse me if I'll just keep to my attempts at commenting constructively for the time being, from a not-so-experienced artist's pov.

@failboat: Overall nice work, I like the monochromatic presentation of the piece for the most part, which highlights the red dot sight all the more clearly, thin as it is already. It may appear that you took some inspiration from elsewhere with girl, but otherwise it is quite an original-looking work. She's pretty characteristic of your art-style too I must say. :)

Not really sure where that setting is supposed to be, I can somewhat make out some corridor-esque features (as I am assuming the 2 white streaks on top represent some source of lighting on a ceiling), but it could be an misinterpretation on my part.

Also, too many (sharp) lines for my taste - especially those detailing the hair and upper body (and the gun as well). Perhaps fewer and thicker swipes will make it more elegant and less congested.

tl;dr - Nice, original work. Could be less congested on the hair, upper body portion and gun.

Edit: I think posting the time it took the artist (continuous effort or otherwise) to come up with the work will help give a better perspective on the piece in mention. Just my 2¢.

Nice thread btw, was wondering when such a thread would come up.
Topic Starter
boat
Well its a sloppy speedpainting anyways, took about 40 minutes, plus five or so for color correction and minor processing. I'll be working on refining my linework and strokes though.

The enviorment is a sort of warehouse, not entirely sure how it goes out setting composition wise, just painted out something in a hurry to make it less flat.

Artstyle is overall inspired by op centers work.

Shiirn wrote:

/me signs up to moderate thread

bug me if shitposts
woop thanks

Bittersweet wrote:

Dunno if i should post it here, since its pretty much just a copy of an official artwork, but meh. took me two weeks to finish this. (/lazyness :3~)
Despite that its referenced or traced, I still envy people who can use pencils rather then digital media.

But in any case, if you're interested in some input, then you really need to use darker values.

Looks great otherwise.

-

Also, new guideline.

* Requests can be placed if an artist does specify that he or she is up for it. Keep the requests elaborative and in as much detail as you can provide, but preferably keep the requesting itself in between you and the artist in question, although afterwards, feel free to post the outcome together with the request here. That goes for both the artist or person who requested the piece, but always give full credit to who did the piece.
With that said, I already do got a request thread. I haven't really had the spare time to get to finish any of the latest, but feel free to drop by if you're interested. I'll get to it as soon as I got the time to spare (and can be arsed to actually do something).

t/79227
Macalania
Some of my Drawings:

My Version of Neo-Bahmut from Final Fantasy VII:

Arceus, Legendary Pokemon:

Dialga, Legendary Pokemon:

Luna from MLP:

All drawn with SAI, Photoshop 7, Bamboo Tablet (c) by me

:)
Aoko
God, it looks awesome. ^
Topic Starter
boat

Did a little speedpainting video of this by request.

Aspect ratio somehow got buttraped in the video, so here is the piece itself.

Not sure how long the first sketch took, painting took 30 minutes.

Daru

Suwa suwa!
Faust
Here's Rche, whom I sketched about a month back.

Pokebis

I drew a dog just for this thread. I'd like some constructive criticisms on how you think I could improve with this style of drawing. This clearly took me a lot of work, but I believe there are better ways of achieving this style without all the busy work I put into it. I also think I can make it look less sloppy. I'd also like to work on the anatomy and perspective. Any tips?
Minty Gum

failboat wrote:

Did a little speedpainting video of this by request.

Aspect ratio somehow got buttraped in the video, so here is the piece itself.

Not sure how long the first sketch took, painting took 30 minutes.

That hair is very interesting. Usually in anime it's very sleek and straight, but it has texture there. I like it.
Mercurial

old, but meh, you know.

Edit: Oh, more old stuff.

Also, Compact Tigger.

mathexpert
^ amazing drawings, I wish I had that skill

a guy I made up when I was bored in class.
Macalania
My newest picture:

Legendary Suicune:

Kei
^ I think that you added way too much photoshop effects in Suicune (inner shadow, etc), but it looks awesome anyways. I'll post some of my drawings soon.
Daru

Kei wrote:

^ I think that you added way too much photoshop effects in Suicune (inner shadow, etc), but it looks awesome anyways. I'll post some of my drawings soon.
Yeah, I agree. Try drawing a picture using only the basic tools - a hard brush and eraser. No textures, no filters, no blur, dodge, burn, or smudge tool. The various cool things you can do with creative application of certain tools is really just the icing on the cake - necessary for proper presentation, but far less important than the foundation - the cake itself.
Macalania
Hm maybe you are right ;) , but i like my pictures and it's fun to draw things that way and i get lots of good feedback from DA Users :)
Topic Starter
boat
Feedback? You mean mindless compliments irregardless of how sloppy or well done it is. There is literally no feedback to get from dA other then praise for everything you do.

dA works well as a lazy or illiterate persons portfolio, resource bank and for browsing the occasional good art, but on the "constructive feedback" front there is literally nothing.

Everything is "great" and what isn't in the interest bubble of majority gets ignored.

The latter being what isn't the great anime artists work, ms paint furry/sonic/hurr fanart, and those damn annoying "adoptables in fifty thousand color variations THAT STILL ARE THE SAME FUGLY DOG ABOMINATION".
Macalania
I don't mean the comments on DA...

just make everything bad i don't care ;)

@daru: you have very beautiful pictures in your gallery :)
Topic Starter
boat

wip portfolio layout thingy idk
Daru

failboat wrote:

Feedback? You mean mindless compliments irregardless of how sloppy or well done it is. There is literally no feedback to get from dA other then praise for everything you do.

dA works well as a lazy or illiterate persons portfolio, resource bank and for browsing the occasional good art, but on the "constructive feedback" front there is literally nothing.

Everything is "great" and what isn't in the interest bubble of majority gets ignored.

The latter being what isn't the great anime artists work, ms paint furry/sonic/hurr fanart, and those damn annoying "adoptables in fifty thousand color variations THAT STILL ARE THE SAME FUGLY DOG ABOMINATION".
Not really true - I agree that basically all of the comments I get without asking are just praise, however if you ask in the right places, you will get proper constructive criticism. It's more or less a matter of finding people who know what they're doing in the chats and asking them to critique a work in progress or your gallery, and I've leaned a good deal from people like Norke or OchreJelly.

As long as you don't hang out in the more immature areas, dA's more or less a very casual "talk about art" area.

Also, OH GOD ADOPTABLES.
Soly
Topic Starter
boat

Trying to get back into painting real people.

not sure where this is heading

also limiting the process to 15 minutes maximum
Faust
oh, you.
Topic Starter
boat

finished
Yuki Hana-Chan
Ahh. You're so wonderful failboat~
After seeing your pictures you've really motivated me~

I'll be posting some pictures later once exams are finished :3
Topic Starter