forum

Influential Anime

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Green Platinum
How do people here feel about anime considered to be influential? Shows like Evangelion, Sailor Moon, Gundam etc. Would you watch something purely based on the fact it is influential and/or seek them out purely on this status?

Curious to see if anybody else loves the narrative of anime's evolution and growth much like myself.
raszka
yes I would, I watched Sailor Moon and I envy all those who watched it and took a liking to it, same goes for Cardcaptor Sakura.
I, instead, avoided it as it seemed just girlish and not worthy of my time.
Influential animes like NGE, Cowboy bebop, from shounen to shoujos should be watched regardless of your genre preferences.
I never got disappointed, whether it was a bad or a good show objectively I never regretted watching any of them.
They're great and you need to understand what made them so influential.
Topic Starter
Green Platinum

raszka wrote:

They're great and you need to understand what made them so influential.
Is this why you find yourself disinterested in Sailor Moon I wouldn't say it is particularly girly next to Cardcaptor Sakura especially considering how strongly it has established bishoujo and mahou senshi.

Cardcaptor Sakura is a weird one to specify as influential. I guess if you see it as CLAMP taking root for how big they were in the 2000's you could, not really aware of any notable change or staff to come from it. It's influence on the western fandom anime is not to be understated as well. Same as Bebop since it didn't do all too well in Japan but we got Outlaw Star and Trigun from it at least.
raszka
I love Sailor Moon but I didn't really grow up with it. It is much more girlish that CCS imo and they were the most popular girly stuff in the late 90s/early 2000. (Italy)
If you have that kind of criteria for "influential" animes then I'd say Utena would suit better for the term, and I love that one aswell
Topic Starter
Green Platinum
But Utena's existence is directly attributable to Sailor Moon. As I understand the staff of Sailor Moon wanted to be more ambitious but were stopped by producers and Utena came afterwards as a result, you definitely see the stylistics of Utena creep into the later seasons.

I would love to mention stuff like Uchuu Senkan Yamato or Hakujaden as examples for influential anime but despite being among the most influential most users here haven't heard of them.