forum

[Rule] Slider Playability and Readability

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
HakuNoKaemi
You did close the others discussion, so i will try to open it and discuss more this time.

I dunno why you posted this in the BAT/MAT discussion, but there's one thing to take in mind: A slider path must never be ambiguous this means that there should be 1 clear way of the slider track, is there's more than 1 possible way a slider path can go it's when it becomes unrankable, there's infinite ways a burai slider can go which is why they are unrankable.
As Sakura said, Slider should have only one single possible path, but that's impossible as a slider is readable and playable when the player can read by graphic or music or intuition the shape of it.

You ( to all peoples ) should know that even Slider that do not fold back into themselves multiple times can be readed in different manners, as an example I did try getting a Slider that DID fold back intoitself, but actually simply seem a slow slider.

or even get a normal slider (and yep, I didn't nazi completely)

Those are examples of how a slider could have a different path from what it seem, even a normal linear slider, but the obviously won't think of it moving the most abnormal way he can think off but he will instead think it will follow the most obvious way he think of.

Example:

The most obvious way, and yet the only obvious one is it "hitting the end ( i'm saying the rightmost point end ), returning a bit back and ending" (simply by reading the graphic and using intuition, think of even listening to the music).

But then the argument "is it really so good on graphic?", but that depend on it's use. It's difficult that longer slider will be linear. and there are yet-good use of it ( NatsumeRin is an example, or even something like that:

)

Yet I dindn't remember the most important part: we should change the existant rule to define a different wording that make it a case-by-case rule (or a guideline, if you add the recomendation)

Ps. Add it to one of the other topic, if you want to close that.

Don't be pissed to the evidence too, and don't be blockheads. Try at least to talk thinking first.
D33d
I thought that we'd put this issue to bed. The fact is that burai sliders, knotty sliders or shitpile sliders either look terrible, are hard to play or both. Sliders which overlap themselves so tightly look like a mess and require little more action than holding the cursor/moving it very slightly. It's not a good feel for a slider, which is supposed to go somewhere and take a pattern in a specific direction.
Topic Starter
HakuNoKaemi
you really did read throughly?
Shiro
All three sliders are unrankable. The second and third one are understandly so, but the first one doesn't play like a slow slider at all and needs weirder movement. It could also go way front, then go back, all that with ticks being arranged that way. So yeah, I don't see what you're trying to discuss.
Topic Starter
HakuNoKaemi
the first slider seems a slow slider, but is going back and forth. So it's different from what you first think. The same for the second.
The third goes to the rightmost point and return back and is basically what you normally think it do.
Argument? A Slider have a million or more possible path, with one being the most probable one, and the one you'll follow. Even Burai are readable if following the obvious path.

This mean that a Slider Rankability HAS to be taken in a case-by-case manner. Not just forcefully and blockheadly saying " it can go back and forth multiple times " by default, without even using your mind.

Why I though you didn't read throughly?
Sakura
I don't even know which Rule this thread is aiming at, could you please quote the rule you're reviewing in the OP?
D33d
We have read thoroughly. You are not presenting anything new and are effectively parroting what's already been discussed in Rin's thread. This isn't going anywhere and I hope that people will stop doing silly things in the name of pushing the envelope. There are other ways to make a map interesting and they're much more attractive and playable than Burais or pseudo-Burais.

At the most lenient, this rule should be a strongly enforced guideline. Even if one was to think that these sliders play well, there should be an aesthetic element to mapping, which Rin's sliders certainly flout. Also, saying that a slider looks and feels awkward and contravenes a long-standing rule is not being forceful and blockheaded; it's maintaining standards which have been in place during most of the game's existence.
Sakura
If this is about Burai sliders, this discussion has been presented a million of times and as Ephemeral said: "They are not coming back".

Also dont create a thread again if a thread is locked, a locked thread means end of the discussion, just like this one.