forum

handling bans

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
CainKing
alright folks, the way osu handles bans is fucking ridiculous sometimes. i myself ran into a multiaccounting issue early on, and it was resolved quickly and simply bc it wasn't a very serious offense, but boy did it scare the fuck out of me. at first, my account was just gone! not so much as an email saying "hey read the fucking rules idiot" or a "hey you have 2 accounts we deleted the new one use the old one CUCK" No! Nothing! I have to email them first to get any indication that anything happened, because before then i was wondering if some servers were offline or something, but no. the worst part about that is, if you multiaccount bc you somehow missed the rule on multi accounting, or thought it wasn't serious, not telling people about the multiaccount ban just encourages them to break the rule and commit ban evasion on accident just to see if they still can make an account. it's silly, it shouldn't be hard to send out an automated email to people you ban with some sort of explanation, instead of just waking up one day and saying "huh, where's my account?" What brings this up is a friend of mine recently logged in to play multi one day, and he had been banned. Of course, osu didn't tell him anything about this, and he was reasonably worried. i told him to send help an email instead of making a new account (the natural first response), and after a couple of hours, they got back to him with an email that said, to paraphrase,"you were banned for cheating. you may repeal this in 3 months. don't make a new account. if you email us again it'll be ignored. thanks." Now, that may seem harsh, but at it's core, that's what it was. I don't know if he was cheating or not, of course he denies it, but it really doesn't matter. the way they handled it was fucking silly, no provided evidence, not pointing to any suspicious plays, no anything, just a "you're banned, get over it my guy" now i'm not saying it's easy, with over 400 bans a day and rising in these past few months, it would be a lot of work to send everyone an email with WHY they were banned, but is it really that hard to automate a "you were banned for xyz" email? seriously? again, with this many bans, it really needs to be smoother, because right now it just feels unfair that someone wants to know why they were banned and they're immediately told they're ignored. there has to be a better way to handle this, because right now it feels like he was tried and executed before he knew he committed a crime
DarkProjector
[thumbs-up]
abraker
What is often found is that silences and restrictions are often deserved and justified. However, they have a very poor policy that is "we are not going you more info because you you know what you did wrong", and that is not up for explanation unless you make a ruckus on the osugame reddit. While they will never tell how they found out what they punish you for, and for a good reason, they should really tell you what *exactly* you are being punished for. Failure to do so creates so many unknowns and inability for understanding.

Unfortunately I doubt this will change anytime soon unless you yell and the entire community yells loud enough to reach the other end of ppy's ears for consideration.
Full Tablet
About the arraignment clause in American Law:
http://www.revolutionary-war-and-beyond.com/arraignment-clause.html

I think people who are banned should be appropriately informed about the reason of their ban.

The matter of withholding the reasoning and evidence that supports the accusation is more complex. That information might give cheaters ways to avoid detection if they decide to keep cheating, but those ways could be eventually found via experimentation even if the detection system is a complete black box. There are ways to make it harder (but not impossible) for cheaters to figure things out. The above matter is moot if people can crack into the detection code.

If users don't have access to that information, they are left with no grounds to argue the accusation. If the people who are in charge of handing out the bans are the only ones who know, then users are forced to trust their judgment, which leads to potential situations of abuse of power (or at least, users not being able to tell if there is abuse or not).
Topic Starter
CainKing
i can understand not revealing HOW they found cheating and things like that, but just a simple automated email would clear up a lot of issues for every kind of ban, like multiaccounting and things like that, because again, it's just a scary moment of "wtf happened" that can easily be avoided. It would also require less man power, because as far as i know, they just wait until they get a message from people, then manually send a block of text, which is a lot more time consuming when most people just want to know what happened, you know?