forum

Poll 12: How should we deal with cheaters?

posted
Total Posts

A cheater is found (100% certain). What do we do with them?

Permanent ban (no exceptions)
41.67%
Give a second chance (new account)
12.50%
Score reset, disable submission, but leave account access
45.83%
Total votes: 312
Polling ended
show more
Topic Starter
peppy
aka. giving everyone the chance to try cheating once? sounds like an easy way for things to get out of control.
Galkan
I think if any bannable offence happened only once in the past, a user should receive fair warning of consequences if they keep such behaviour (+ delete the record of score gained by foul play). If then they decide to continue, permament ban without possibility to appeal (or whatever you choose).

If said user cheated multiple times, instant perm should be applied.
An additional line mentioning this in the main menu could also be added.
Luzcyfer
Get the ip, go to their homes and kill them, after that expose his/her corpse on uppy!..................wait!

Nah!, screw them all; permanent bann, no exceptions.

I was thinking of the second chance but if it happens once, could happen again. So no.

Erase the score sounds nice but not energic enough.

There is a way to get the ip and post it no matter is the actual ip or a spoof?. Like, sending a message.
navy0333
i think osu! should have a antihacking system...... like other online games.....
Aoko
Score reset, disable submission, but leave account access.
Also,

Winshley wrote:

(I'm also hoping that peppy can find a way to detect Flashlight cheatings. )
Topic Starter
peppy

Winshley wrote:

(I'm also hoping that peppy can find a way to detect Flashlight cheatings. Perhaps with some unique algorithms applied to the Flashlight mod)

navy0333 wrote:

i think osu! should have a antihacking system...... like other online games.....
It does. The fact you don't know it's there means it's doing a good job; it should not interfere with normal users at all.
GladiOol
Score reset, depending on the intensity of cheating.

If it's a new account, made just for the heck of cheating, permanently ban it of course.
If it's a player who's been here for quite a while and cheats on 1 or a few maps, score reset him but keep his account.
If he'll cheat on like 10+ maps, then I'd suggest an account ban as well.
Jekate
Ban Forever
Rey Fullbuster
just score reseting, don't ban them :D
ouranhshc

GladiOol wrote:

Score reset, depending on the intensity of cheating.

If it's a new account, made just for the heck of cheating, permanently ban it of course.
If it's a player who's been here for quite a while and cheats on 1 or a few maps, score reset him but keep his account.
^
Stefan
Combination of Option 1 and 3.

Option 1 would be alone useless because every Derp can use proxy so he can continue to hack.
Option 3 would be the best way because it's theoretically the same as Option 1. But people will know that he hacked.
And not just because his name was ololololololololololololololo. About the combination:

Like GladiOol said:
It would be the best way after some Resets to ban.
Bittersweet
In my opinion, if a player that was being here for quite a while decides to cheat, he/she/it should get the worst punishment possible.
Drafura
Permanent BAN account, IP and MAC address.
Stefan

Bittersweet wrote:

He/she/it should get the worst punishment possible.
Naikaze

hillaryzx wrote:

Permanent ban should be enough for real cheaters....
VelperK

Drafura wrote:

Permanent BAN account, IP and MAC address.
Dis guy.
Mastodonio
Just ban this cheaters forever and return all #1's to all normal players,who EARNED IT!

P.S. I wonder how mikhe still has not been banned

*me runs*
meiikyuu
ban
Hika

meiikyuu wrote:

ban da hakers plz
fix'd
eldnl
Ask to the comunity (people who know him) if they are really nice guys and deserve a second chance. But for totally shameless guys must be a permanent BAN.
palion

eldnl wrote:

Ask to the comunity (people who know him) if they are really nice guys and deserve a second chance. But for totally shameless guys must be a permanent BAN.

too subjective
eldnl

palion wrote:

eldnl wrote:

too subjective
I can't see the problem with that.
Gens

eldnl wrote:

palion wrote:

too subjective
"Hey, this friend of mine can prove I didn't really cheat!

Yes! I know him in real life, he's no cheater! His skill is amazing!

Oh okay, just because he said so :)

*hacks again*

Didn't you tell me he wasn't a cheater?

He told me to say that to you, I'm sorry peppy ;~;"

peppy can't make decisions based on testimonies like that, I say. In the case he is/was a cool guy to have around (imagine a BAT was banned for cheating), the permaban should still apply; the punishment shouldn't get softer for anyone in particular.
Shohei Ohtani

eldnl wrote:

palion wrote:

too subjective
Two things

1) Friends will generally support their friends. They could be a huge cheater, and they'll know it, but they'll go "omg he was nice" just to get their buddy back
2) This make bans follow the Lunah/Mara/Gladi/Whoever Else clause, which means "Hey, I can do anything that I want to, because I'm popular and my fanbase will give the site hell if I'm banned"

Pretty much, cheaters should be banned. Maybe not perma-banned, but at least banned for a long period of time. None of this "oh people won't shut up about him so let's not ban him." crap. That's what pisses me off every time someone popular gets banned here. They do some stupid crap and everybody sees them as a god because they were so popular, even if an unpopular person did the exact same thing. There's so much damned leniency that it just makes the entire mod team lose its authority.

I don't generally criticize people this forwardly, maybe it's because I'm in the worst of moods today, but gaah, seriously, if you really feel the need to cheat after making yourself an established member of the community, then there's consequences. Nixon didn't get his ass popular'd into office after Watergate and stuff. Nobody went "Oh, he's a nice guy, he's done so much for the country! Let's give him a second chance!"

For every action, there's a consequence. I've been banned from so many places, and I know that if I'm doing stupid stuff, then I'll get a punishment. Hell, within the year, I'll probably get banned from here. But I won't be pissed about it, as long as I know why I was banned, because I'll know that I'm just getting the consequence that comes with doing a misdemeanor. I don't have the popular support crap behind me, because most of the people in power pretty much hate me and aren't afraid to admit it, so maybe I'm "biased" in a sense. But I was great friends with a lot of people who got banned. I wasn't mad, or angered, because I knew that, I apologize for the cliche, if you can't pay the time, then don't do the crime.

I didn't even read what the thread was about, so I may look completely stupid right now.

So yeah, although I'm not like "PERMA-BAN ALL THE MEMBERS", because I know that people do turn around, and people sometimes make misguided mistakes, there should still be some sort of punishment that is more then just a few days, especially for popular people that get banned. If you're going to ban them for a year, then they should be banned for a year. I've had year-long bans before, and you know what I did? I took it like a man. I joined some other places and waited until my ban was over, then improved myself to not be such a dumbass next time.

.-.
Wishy
Shut up you are an idiot you should be banned ok? :S :S XD XD
xsrsbsns

eldnl wrote:

"Really nice guys" don't cheat.

And usually anyone who cheats is already aware of the consequences, but just want to risk in hopes of not getting caught (or asking for second chance if they are eventually found out).

That said, I don't particularly care what happens to their accounts, as long as their hacked plays/scores are removed from the scoreboard and they don't cheat again. But a permaban sounds better.
deadbeat
i'd say the 3rd option. the risk of banning doesn't seem to be stopping the numbers. neither does giving second chances. the 3rd seems ok though since it lets them play, but removes the need to cheat in the first place
Taiko_old
HD+FL on taiko with a dual screen makes me weep so much... Yet it's not cheating, I'd rather we fix this thing as well D:
2nd chance or permaban ftw
ampzz
Score reset, disable submission, but leave account access is the only logical and viable option to compensate for the sheer lack of effect any IP ban as they are useless for ISPs that don't give out static IP addresses or people bypass them with a proxy.

Second chance could technically come after a grace period of n time as an added bonus to those who have decided to be both beneficial to the community (in the form of modding maps or just generally good forum behaviour) and come to terms with their length of time being forbidden from score submissions which means they have learnt from their previous mistake.

If they do it again there is no more chances and their account is permanently blacklisted from another opportunity to become a regular user again.

^ This helps to cover quite a few areas in this option. ^
Topic Starter
peppy
To me, being beneficial to the community doesn't make any difference if they are doing harm secretly. Instant negation of any positive in my eyes.
Soly
Vish024
Disable submission surely, and it'll send a message to any other potential cheaters in the community.
kriers

peppy wrote:

To me, being beneficial to the community doesn't make any difference if they are doing harm secretly. Instant negation of any positive in my eyes.

ontopic: I think the only option is to permanently ban the player. The other two options seem almost rewarding, especially considering
those players who'd like a score reset in order to improve statistics.
Waryas
Most people have a dynamic ip on multiple 255.255.0.0 range (65535*X ips), so it's useless to ban by IPs.
People with static IPs can get a new one by changing their router mac and forcing the dhcp server of their isp of giving them a new one.
Banning MAC? bypassed in 2s. Banning some sort of hardware GUID? bypassed in 2s.

There is no bypass-proof way to ban and if someone is smart enough to cheat on osu i think he's smart enough to bypass a ban.

3rd option is the best choice.
ziin

Soly wrote:

peppy wrote:

Exactly, it's like your wife cheating on you.
then you lock her up in the basement and never let her see another man.

The problem is that you can kick out the wife, but she always comes back, and always looks different, and you have to accept her back.

Unless you lock her up.
Sinistro

kriers wrote:

considering those players who'd like a score reset in order to improve statistics.
But they cheat. Their statistics are already enhanced. :?:
Zelmarked

Sinistro wrote:

kriers wrote:

considering those players who'd like a score reset in order to improve statistics.
But they cheat. Their statistics are already enhanced. :?:
I think he's saying they don't cheat but want their stats reset from their bad play style so then they cheat to get that goal accomplished indirectly.
Sinistro
I still don't get it, since the poll option pairs score reset with disabling score submission.
KRZY
Voted for option 1, but after reading the thread, more inclined to option 3.

Second chances should not have been given in the first place. Some may complain that people who cheated before a certain date got a second chance compared to those who will not if this gets implemented; unlucky them.

Looking at osu! currently, there seems to be no way of blocking multiaccounts completely. No point in banning ip/MAC address/etc. A person who is intent on cheating is going to find new ways to cheat no matter what; good luck to the admins on dealing with those.

As for why my opinion went from option 1 to option 3, the thread persuaded me that playing for score is only a part of osu!. If a previous cheater decides that what's done is done and decides to lead a new career, then fine. His score submission privileges won't return, but at least he can map/participate in community projects/chat/do whatever else that might please him. Let him use his old account instead of creating a new one. Like I said above, those intent on cheating will carry on by any means anyway, so admins are going to have to pay attention for those willing to regain their score submission privileges by creating new accounts, even if not necessarily for cheating. Cheaters do need to be punished after all, and that is in the form of score reset/prevention of submitting new scores.
eldnl
That was not what I mean but who cares xD
show more