forum

[Archived] Osu! doesn't have sound with a new soundcard.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Neruell
Hey,

not really sure if someone encountered such an issue before, but my problem is that after I changed to "Creative SB1394 Sound Blaster Live Audigy 2" I don't get any sound when I start osu!.

Before I used a build-in soundchip and osu! worked fine. Didn't have issues. After I plugged in the new soundcard osu! doesn't give me any sound and I experience some weird fps lagg that I never had before (unlimited fps).

Also since it can't play any mp3 in osu! even if I start to play, it doesn't start to play, it just stays at the intro and doesn't start the song. I can spectate people but again without any sound and I can't see the progress bar. Sometimes I don't see people click while I spectate them. I doubt that the card is somehow damaged or not working because I can listen to normal music on it, play games, talk on skype and everything else works fine. All other games I tried did work fine without any issues.

Only have this issue since today since I did try the new soundcard only today. So far my experience with it. Not sure why that happened and no clue how to fix it since for now it applies only for osu!.

I tried updating soundcard drivers (not so much to try since found only 2 different). Updated directx. (Also in any case grafikcard too) I am pretty sure it has to do something with the new soundcard. This soundcard supports 5.1 channel and I use them with my headset and it maybe an issue between the windows 7 64bit I am using since windows itself "doesn't support" multichannel compared to windows xp. (It does but not as build-in windows driver, it just allows the programs to support it). Osu! itself doesn't have any that kind of a support to multichannel I suppose. Don't really have any clue how to maybe fix it except for switching back to my build-in soundcard but maybe if someone has any hint/help that I can try. (I tried basic stuff like running in compatibility mode and reinstalling osu!, didn't help). Maybe I am just dump and can't see any obvious option to select, activate/deactivate, so if anyone has any idea would be thankfull for any help.
whymeman
Have you checked under Sounds and Audio Devices Properties under Audio? Make sure your sound output is set with the sound card you have installed.

Sometimes, you have to manually switch output devices to use whatever that has been installed. This is from XP point of view, but should have the same concept at least.

Topic Starter
Neruell
Yes I did also set the current one as a default device, was the first thing to do or otherwise I wouldn't get any sound at all after plugging all the cables into the new soundcard. To be sure I deactivated anything else except the only sound output I can get. I am not sure though but I do assume that I did everything right so far, plugging the right cables and turning on/off the right devices because I do get sound from any other sound source like music player, game and any other "sound program" so far.

First I had a weird idea that osu! was somehow bound to the "old build-in soundcard" but that wouldn't explain the weird fps lagg and since reinstalling didn't help and also actually osu is not a driver for the soundcard itself, doubt that that can be the case, since osu! should just simply use the audio device provided by windows. Also just in case, switching from directx to opengl didn't change anything (except for the fps as it should).

Also since I use windows 7 I have a different window to choose and select, but I do get the point. I can also try disabling the remapping feature for the ram to limit it to 3.5gb since I know that the soundcard may have some driver issues with more than 4gb ram, for example my microphone doesn't work as long as I have more than 4gb. (tried to limit to 3.5gb and the mic did start to work with the new one). Doubt though that it can solve the osu! issue.

Edit: As I thought, limiting the ram, (through bios) didn't help.

Maybe it is a driver issue but then I wonder why does everything else works compared to osu!. At least I neither have so much programs/game to test nor so much time for it. But the things I tested so far worked, so it can be a driver issue but really doubt that.

Also 1 more thing I just noticed several minutes ago and now I know why I get that fps lagg. In the video I went into universal offset and look what I get there. Really don't know why that happens. Yeah also, you don't hear any sound because that is my problem (only in osu! so far) xD

whymeman
Interesting..... so everything else outside of osu! works, but in the game, there's no sound? If that's the case, there might be something keeping the old config settings or maybe some kind of incompatibility issue from the driver. To be honest, I never dealt with this type of problem except for the time right before the motherboard died. But, if it was a dying motherboard then there would be more than sound issues right now. If you hang in there for a bit longer, one of the devs will come by to check out the issue for you.
Winshley
You get uber lags because osu! can't play downloaded songs, which will cause the build-in player to seek next songs repeatedly. Being unable to play the song is always related to your sound card driver. To stop the build-in player, you might wanna hit the Stop button (kinda forgot whether it's F2 or F3 for shortcut, as I'm not on osu! atm).

My only suggestion for you is to try getting your new sound card to work with osu!. I don't use any additional sound card add-ons to my desktop PC though, so I can't really help you there. :(
Topic Starter
Neruell
Ok, solved the problem, thx to an other thread about resolution where a guy wrote that he deleted any possible files related to osu! and it set everything to default, same happened to me, deleted everything I could find and other stuff like ccleaner to delete everything, after reinstalling it worked now. Guess it was some issue between the old setup files with the new soundcard drivers maybe or something like that.

/solved