forum

Generic Post on why I'm not improving

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
amgtree
I need some advice guys. Got the game late last year, but didn't really get into it until February of this year. When starting out I was improving pretty slowly. Friends who just got the game out performed me a week after I started playing. Way below average, but I just churned on through because I enjoyed it.

Switched from mouse to a tablet little less than three months ago but had to switch tapping hands as I was left handed. Had to use a pretty big area because my hands were shaky. Didn't really see an improvement in my play. Tried changing areas several time to no avail, bought multiple tablets, and even switched back to mouse for a couple days. My current area that I have been using for a while is roughly 5.7" diagonally (16x9) Also had to switch to drag.

Kept playing 3* maps to try and fc but could never really do that. Would always make a mistake here and there. Moved onto playing 4* maps as I was able to pass the easier ones. Was able to start getting A's and B's in them about 100 hours in. Which is pretty slow tbh. Was only able to S rank one 4 star map but didn't even fc it. As of now I think there is only two 5* maps I can pass. I can't consistently fc 3* maps and consistently pass 4* maps now. Lots of my scores I can't beat anymore and it just makes me not want to play.

People with half the hours I do surpass me all the time in multiplayer. It's pretty disheartening to really enjoy something and not get better. You would think that since I'm having fun I would naturally improve, but its not the case. I haven't really switched my how I play in a while now except for what skin I use so I don't think that is the issue. The only major jumps in rank (which I know I shouldn't base my improvement on) were the hd nerf and when I used full area on my giant tablet (deco 01).

I really want to play more, but it feels pointless when I don't improve and getting nothing out of it.
ADelicateOrange
Someone who uses a tablet can help you on that front.

However, the main point of improvement is to keep playing. You won't get better by not playing the game. There is nothing wrong with taking a break though, that can be beneficial as well. Removing that stress is very nice.

What you should be focusing on more though is not FCing a song, but looking to improve your accuracy. By focusing on accuracy you force your mind to consciously do two things: Listen to the song and build muscle memory for various patterns (triplets, 1-2s, etc.) If you focus on accuracy the FCs and improvement will come naturally.

Also, use Tillerino. You're probably playing songs that are way too hard for you. Watch a youtube guide onto how to use him, it'll be like 3 minutes of your time.
kai99
play a variety of 4* maps. since you said you can get As i hope that'll imrpove your skills. download beatmap packs. get around 3k maps. play this and that, and after a while, you'll be able to fc 3* maps.
Naimae

amgtree wrote:

Switched from mouse to a tablet little less than three months ago but had to switch tapping hands as I was left handed.

What, so you hold your pen in your right hand now? If you're left handed, why force yourself to do this? Or do you hold it in your left had now? If so, why did you basically abandon any muscle memory base you could've worked with?

Anyway, there's nothing wrong with drag. It helps my stability a lot, and if your hands are shaky, then it should help yours, too, and should even let you work with a bit of a smaller area (depending on what area you're working with right now).

I've always thought that a good way to determine how well I was doing on a map and if I was comfortable with a SR range was if I was getting As consistently on maps at that star rating. It's not bad to push yourself to your limit, but putting yourself to the point where you want to just pass a map sounds like a bad thing to me. It comes off as you just doing anything to pass it at all, meaning that you're just trying to look for and click circles before they disappear, instead of actually trying to follow the music.

Keep working on your 4* maps (or 3* if you really have to) and get to the point where you can consistently get 95%+ passes. Then focus on FCing them. Use Tillerino to find you maps to boost your ranking. Most of all, play what you enjoy but don't try to play things that are out of your league. That'll most likely just lead to bad habits and you'll eventually get to play it with a better skill set anyway, making it more enjoyable to play.

A big source of discouragement is comparing yourself to others. Sure, it's nice to have some scale by which you can measure yourself but if you're comparing rank over time, then you'll just be disappointed. There'll always be someone better than you, there'll always be someone worse than you. Maybe they're just playing more often. Maybe not. It doesn't matter. Don't worry about what other people are doing, focus on your own skills and your own plays. Enjoy yourself! At least, try to.

P.S. Might not be the best idea to use your full area. You're going to want to work with an area that's big enough that you feel like you can control your aim, but small enough that you can comfortably jump from side to side of the screen back and forth. This side to side screen jumping doesn't have to be accurate right now, since you'll get there as you improve.
Also don't forget to keep your area the same ratio as your screen. I know you said you're already doing this, but don't forget.
Topic Starter
amgtree

citremi wrote:

amgtree wrote:

Switched from mouse to a tablet little less than three months ago but had to switch tapping hands as I was left handed.

What, so you hold your pen in your right hand now? If you're left handed, why force yourself to do this? Or do you hold it in your left had now? If so, why did you basically abandon any muscle memory base you could've worked with?

Anyway, there's nothing wrong with drag. It helps my stability a lot, and if your hands are shaky, then it should help yours, too, and should even let you work with a bit of a smaller area (depending on what area you're working with right now).

I've always thought that a good way to determine how well I was doing on a map and if I was comfortable with a SR range was if I was getting As consistently on maps at that star rating. It's not bad to push yourself to your limit, but putting yourself to the point where you want to just pass a map sounds like a bad thing to me. It comes off as you just doing anything to pass it at all, meaning that you're just trying to look for and click circles before they disappear, instead of actually trying to follow the music.

Keep working on your 4* maps (or 3* if you really have to) and get to the point where you can consistently get 95%+ passes. Then focus on FCing them. Use Tillerino to find you maps to boost your ranking. Most of all, play what you enjoy but don't try to play things that are out of your league. That'll most likely just lead to bad habits and you'll eventually get to play it with a better skill set anyway, making it more enjoyable to play.

A big source of discouragement is comparing yourself to others. Sure, it's nice to have some scale by which you can measure yourself but if you're comparing rank over time, then you'll just be disappointed. There'll always be someone better than you, there'll always be someone worse than you. Maybe they're just playing more often. Maybe not. It doesn't matter. Don't worry about what other people are doing, focus on your own skills and your own plays. Enjoy yourself! At least, try to.

P.S. Might not be the best idea to use your full area. You're going to want to work with an area that's big enough that you feel like you can control your aim, but small enough that you can comfortably jump from side to side of the screen back and forth. This side to side screen jumping doesn't have to be accurate right now, since you'll get there as you improve.
Also don't forget to keep your area the same ratio as your screen. I know you said you're already doing this, but don't forget.

My bad, my post may be worded weird. What I meant about the tapping was when I played with mouse I used my left on my keyboard, but when I switched to tablet I had to use my right hand to tap. Shouldn't really be a problem anymore, but its weird. I could full alt on my left hand where both keys are at basicly 50 50 ratio. But with my right hand I tend to use my middle finger more about 35-65 ratio.
Topic Starter
amgtree
Well been a month still haven't improved much. Dropped the tablet. Using a pen is impossible for me. Too much shake. The only thing I can feel is how shaky my hand is when I play tablet. Super uncomfortable. Probably just going to quit in next month if nothing happens
elyuli
pls enjoy game, in all seriousness you need to realize this is only a game enjoy it or quit dw about improvement it comes slowly but surely
ADelicateOrange
*looks at profile play history* Oh.

First, /u/elyuli is completely right. Also, you didn't listen to us. Sure our feedback is primarily own experience and stealing other people's recommendation. But, it looks to be that you're skipping steps. If you're solely looking for improvement then what is the point of doing NF on 5+ star songs when you're struggling at 4 stars. Look at your top plays, it's a forest of 93-95%. That's not good enough. You need to strive for 97% FCs at least. Sure it feels gratifying to be able to pass 5 star songs at 6 digits (trust me I would know that glee), but you're cheating your own growth. FC songs in your range (which is probably 4.2 - 4.5, ~~~80 -110pp per FC avg.) Don't use other people as your measuring stick. If you wanna get to 5, 4, 3, 2 or 1 digit you need to learn how to read maps. You probably have better aim, speed, and reaction times than me, but none of those things matter, IF YOU DON'T LEARN HOW TO READ BEATMAPS. Alright go back at it.
zoklev
gasp its self concious
Topic Starter
amgtree
Sorry guys I haven't been listening.

I just wanted to play maps that I thought I should be playing. Was just super frustrated and had a long day. It's just a game and I shouldn't get mad over trivial things. I'll do better.

Thanks!
RamenBucket
try not to change your setup much. Improvement can be directly linked to muscle memory, which is pretty important in reading and tapping. changing setup will only hinder your progress.

gl man
dung eater

RamenBucket wrote:

try not to change your setup much. Improvement can be directly linked to muscle memory, which is pretty important in reading and tapping. changing setup will only hinder your progress.

gl man

Change can help a great deal, too.
raccoongamer

citremi wrote:

amgtree wrote:

Judging by this criteria of SR suit, I am not ready for 4* :(
show more