forum

Add genre to all ranked maps [added]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
kingcobra52
And have it on the website so that you can search all maps by genre.

I request this with newcomers in mind because as the list of ranked maps gets larger and larger, It'll become more and more difficult to search through them all. I'm aware of the search feature, but I think it would be even better if we could assign what genre each song is and have it on the site so that you can search by genre. I know it's likely going to be a lot of work going through each ranked song and adding a genre, but I believe it would make the list more organized and user friendly.

List of genres we'll need (for the most part):

J-pop
Standard music genres (pop, rock, rap, etc.)
Anime
Rhythm Games (ddr, taiko, etc.)
Video Games (This would also include the oc remixes)
TV/Movies
Internet
Other (for non-classifiable songs)

Not really sure about how to implement this, but it's a start nonetheless. What do you guys think?
Saturos
Brought up several times, and I believe it gets shot down everytime because of the uniqueness of genres as a whole. It seems like nowadays every band has its own genre classified to it, so it gets retarded pretty fast.

As long as this stays as general genre labels (pop, rock, classical, etc), it should be fine, imo. I'm just not looking forward to the inevitible genre debates that will come with it.
awp
Cheese and I will police the entire community on each map's musical genre and we are the Final Word.

sounds pretty solid. You game, Cheese?
LuigiHann
Probably better off using tags
An64fan

LuigiHann wrote:

Probably better off using tags
Half of me seconds this.

Still, a box in the Song Setup for genre would be pretty nice. You know, put whatever applicable genres in there? I would definitely go against a drop down box, though, as a lot of songs kind of fit in more than one genre. Checkbox might be another option? Pop-up box for it to check the applicable genres?

Kobra forgot to put classical in his list. :P And, you know, other stuff.

Rock/J-rock/whatever else fits in here
Pop/J-pop/what I said above
Rap/Hiphop (maybe split these? Dunno.)
Classical/Neoclassical
Soundtrack (probably including both video game music and background music for other stuff)
Anime (Never really considered this a genre, and yet kinda have.... Some stuff just doesn't seem to fit into anything else, though I always feel that Anime really has characteristics of it's own...)
Internet
Alternative
Other (anything that just doesn't seem to fit in anything else)

Perhaps the rhythm game one that Kobra suggested? Then again, some people (noobs, anyone?) would be tempted to put this for any map then, since, after all, osu! IS a rhythm game.

And anything else I missed. Which I'm sure I probably have.

Indeed, it would definitely be a hassle to apply such to already ranked/approved maps. Though would be a neat feature, still, since you could search for a specific genre.

This, or we could heavily encourage putting such tags in the tags box.... Though it just feels like you'd be getting too general with this then... :? Meh. Well, you have my input.
Dranoel
The broader the categories, the better a genre system will be.

Also, organize them by type.

Media Source: Movie, Game, Internet Culture, Television, Cartoons (for our purposes not including Anime-styled), Anime, Other, None
Genre: General Rock, General Rap, General Pop, General Classical, General Jazz, General Techno, etc.
LuigiHann
If it's going to be that complicated, then there's no reason not to just use tags.
CheeseWarlock
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Nharox

LuigiHann wrote:

If it's going to be that complicated, then there's no reason not to just use tags.
That is not complicated at all. Hell, you should know what you listen to.
LuigiHann

Nharox wrote:

LuigiHann wrote:

I was referring to Dranoel's 3-tiered genre system. If each song is going to have more than one genre, the genres basically function as tags, so we may as well use the functionality that's already present.
CheeseWarlock

LuigiHann wrote:

Nharox wrote:

LuigiHann wrote:

I was referring to Dranoel's 3-tiered genre system. If each song is going to have more than one genre, the genres basically function as tags, so we may as well use the functionality that's already present.
Agreed. I'm fine just using the tags system we already have, but making a bit more useful by adding genres.
Zuko
Agreed too. This may facilitate the search of beatmaps.