forum

Trip

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
B1rd
As I mentioned in ITT, right now I'm on a walking trip from Launceston to Hobart. Since for the time being my only internet access is public libraries which are few and far between, I haven't had much time to be online. So I don't have time to go in to detail but I'll post a brief update.

So the first thing that became apparent is that I vastly overestimated my walking capabilities, naively thinking I could average around 10 hours a day of travel. What I realised is that being unused to walking for long periods of time and carrying a relatively heavy backpack, I could do at most 4-5 hours of walking, travelling about 20KM before the my legs were worn out. Still, I've managed a respectable 80KM after 4 days of walking (I spent about 6 days at a relatives who lives at a farm along the way) and I'm at Cambell town at the moment.

Video I took along Mt Joy Road, between Cambell Town and Longford:

https://uploadfiles.io/bp9ss

Took this pic of the sunrise the next day down the same road, the morning after quite an uncomfortable night I spent being rained upon while camping by the side of the road in amongst some trees:

Green Platinum
Neato
abraker
so much walking wow

edit: wtf is that webite? Why not upload to streamable like a normal person
Meah
Trip, it's when you break your ankles right?
Ephemeral
you picked a good season to walk in too, shit, tasmania gets hella cold in winter

are you following the midland hwy or just walking along side roads?

i remember mona vale being pretty nice, slight detour on the way tho
Topic Starter
B1rd

Ephemeral wrote:

you picked a good season to walk in too, shit, tasmania gets hella cold in winter

are you following the midland hwy or just walking along side roads?

i remember mona vale being pretty nice, slight detour on the way tho
Well, Autumn is my favourite season. Better a bit chilly than too hot when you're doing exercise IMO. And yeah I've mainly been walking the Midland highway, the scenic route is nice but after a few hours walking you stop concentrating on the scenery and more on your aching feet and legs. Though if I had of saw your suggestion I might have walked along Mona vale Road, just yesterday I walked along side it down the Midlands highway from Ross to the Oatlands. At the Oatlands at the moment, got to the library just now and found out it's going to close in 15 minutes and it's closed tomorrow. Nothings open late in these blasted colonial towns, I arrived here yesterday at 8:45 after walking 39KM, and nothing was open, couldn't even get a sandwich. Anyway, that's all for now, probably be a while until I get on the internet again.
Topic Starter
B1rd

abraker wrote:

so much walking wow

edit: wtf is that webite? Why not upload to streamable like a normal person
Didn't have time for that.

Meah wrote:

Trip, it's when you break your ankles right?
That's not far off. After walking about 200KM in shoes that don't fit that well, my ankle and feet are basically broken.

I've made it to Hobart. Still, my final destination of Masaaki's sushi remains elusive. The place is 80KM from where I am now, and his store is only open 3 days a week for lunch, and due to it's popularity, it is quite hard to get a booking. I tried to call today, managed to get hold of him once, and then the payphone cut off because I forgot to put money in it. And subsequent phone calls have gone unanswered. It's Wednesday today, if I'm unable to secure a seat at this sushi place then I might have to linger down here in Hobart for another week. But due to the effort I've put in to get down here I refuse to be dissuaded from by original aim, and takeaway sushi won't suffice.
abraker

B1rd wrote:

I tried to call today, managed to get hold of him once, and then the payphone cut off because I forgot to put money in it. And subsequent phone calls have gone unanswered.
Sounds like a a scene out of a horror flick
Topic Starter
B1rd
I finally had a meal at my destination, Masaaki's sushi. Previously I had planned to walk the rest of the way from Hobart to Geeveston, but since I had a cold I took a bus instead. Geeveston it quite a picturesque little town, it feels almost like an alpine town, being surrounded by a lush forest with fresh and moist air, since it's relatively close to Anarctica. There was barely anyone there, except for at Masaaki's where there was a long line, a testament to it's popularity.

The sushi place was quite small, just a kitchen, a counter, and a room with four tables. Most people lined up for takeaway but I had the privilege of eating in the dining area due to booking a month in advance. I was seated any there wasn't any menu, I was simply asked if I would like to try the sea urchin, which I of course answered in the affirmative. While I waited for the food, I started on drinking the bottle of Tasmanian pinot noir I brought, which I am quite fond of. The sea urchin nigiri arrived, which if I remember correctly was served with some wasabi and Tasmanian pepper berry. The sea urchin had very little integrity and was quite mushy - it tasted like protein paste that was very fresh and tasted of the sea.
The main course arrive and was a substantial tasting platter that had a whole array of different sushi arranged artistically, along with various types of seaweed, and some real Tasmanian-grown Wasabi. The waitress told me in which order I should eat in, an so I started with salmon nigiri that had been blow-torched. It was succulent and delicous. After that, I can't remember all the types of sushi there were, but I remember that every single one of the assortment had been meticulously crafted for flavour and aesthetic appeal. The sushi surpassed my already high expectations. In fact, after so long of subsisting on simple food, it really changed my perception of what food can be like. Naturally, I ordered more sushi, and finished off the bottle of wine. Overall, I had a great time, and it was definitely worth the effort spending spending the time and money on the multi-day trip to eat there.