forum

Game timer

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +2
Topic Starter
FurukawaPan
I figured this would be a good idea, an option to set a time limit as to how long you want to play osu! before automatically quitting. You would choose a timer when you open osu! (say, for 1 hour), then after you've been playing osu! for an hour and the timer expires, the following would happen:

If your time runs out in the middle of a song, nothing (but a flag is quietly set), when you finish the song, you cannot select retry (or it would at least nag you that your time is up). You could save a replay, but view it later.

If your time runs out on the menu screen, or in an editor, it will just quit normally (prompt you to save or discard any changes). If you are editing, you could snooze the timer for 5-10 minutes to finish something you are working on.

Motivation: Let's face it, Osu! is addictive. It can eat all your time, and then you haven't got your homework done, or didn't get done any other things you planned that day. I find myself deciding to play osu! for an hour or two, and then looking up at the clock, but nevermind the clock, the sun has already come up and I haven't gone to bed o.o

I think this would be a handy time management tool, and allow those of us with lots to do in the day actually be able to play for just a set time, and then go do something else. It doesn't even need to be as heavy-handed as I suggested, maybe put a snooze and/or cancel button on the dialog when time runs out. (Though some of us may need to be dragged away from the computer kicking and screaming :cry: )

Download: Nana Takahashi & 709sec. - The World is All my loving (Tenshi-nyan) [Impossiblexu's Easy].osu
ThePassingShadow
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Echo
i lol'd

Use an alarm clock.
ash
i dont like the idea of automatically kicking someone out because of people having no self control

if they can't get their priorities straight and continue playing osu! regardless of whatever else they have to do, then they deserve whatever consequences they are creating by neglecting what they need to be doing

also um this doesnt work considering once it closes, they can just open it up again
Topic Starter
FurukawaPan
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Echo
I'm convinced this is useless.
Sinistro

james039 wrote:

(self-discpline required here)
That's exactly it. If one has enough self-discipline to NOT restart the game after this proposed system backs one out of it, I think one has enough self-discipline to stop playing on one's own and thus not need the system in the first place. I don't believe there is much of a middle ground, i.e. people who won't stop on their own but will if prompted by a timer.
Topic Starter
FurukawaPan
I see what you both are saying, and I'm really just going from my own personal experience. It would be a similar situation with other online type games such as WoW where it's just easier to keep playing for 5.. 10.. 20 minutes, and before you know it you've gone for hours. This isn't for addicted people, they'll just keep going anyway (and wouldn't set any limit in the first place).

At least it would be nice if the screen showed how many hours I've played the game on that day, kind of like how it is on the Nintendo Wii. Some sort of indicator I can use to judge how long I've been playing. Osu! already collects stats on no. of plays and such, so it might not be such a huge leap of code to show the minutes/hours. I know for certain my perception of time passing is different when I'm in a game, since I could easily guess I've been at it for an hour or two when it was really five or six.
awp
An64fan

Sinistro wrote:

I don't believe there is much of a middle ground, i.e. people who won't stop on their own but will if prompted by a timer.
I would like to disagree.

See, I do the laundry in our household, though I'm not always particularly good about getting it done regularly. Sure, yes, I get hooked on osu! and rps and other such things... And it's just a bit...blah, most of the time, you know? But yet, all it takes is for my dad to just note that I haven't done any laundry recently and I'm usually onto it quite quickly. Hardly even any prompting at all.

I don't have an issue with getting hooked to osu! for extended periods (not that I normally have a lot of stuff to do, either), but I think the timer would be a good idea. Have something in options or something to turn it on, and then you can set it in game, check how long you've been playing and how long until you have until you've reached your desired time limit, if you set one. And, like james suggested, a little popup could come up on the menu when your time is up, if your on the menu, or, if you're in came, there could be a little note at the bottom of the screen (like how it lets you know if someone said your name in chat when you have highlighting on).
awp
YoshiKart
Metroid