forum

will HRT decrease my ability to effectively play osu?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
[MTF] Wolfette
Here's the definition in case you don't know it
HRT

Hormone Replacement Therapy

A procedure in which the body's natural hormones are replaced or boosted by medical means, such as pills or injections.

Often used during the transition period for a transsexual.

"She's finally on her way to starting HRT, after coming out to her family, settling things with insurance, and getting the referral of a licensed therapist."

So, I'm wondering, will HRT reduce my osu! skills?

My answer is, maybe.

You see, I've had medications in the past that have fucked with my ability to play osu!, literally everything else is fine (except for maybe other games), but when it comes to playing osu!, I just could never reach my peak and I rarely got good scores. With that said, I expect the mental component of HRT might interfere with me a little bit, but the other aspects are kinda questionable.

One of the effects of HRT is reduced muscle mass. Not sure if this'll affect me since I barely have any muscle to begin with, but it very well could make me lose some of my stamina.

Another effect of HRT is that it makes your skin softer, which would also fuck me up if I'm playing mania, because if my fingers aren't very tough, they're gonna start aching quickly. At least in theory.

I'm not sure honestly.

If you have any answers or personal experience, leave them below.
dung eater
Men generally perform better in any sport. Long term endurance sports are an exception i think (several days of perfomance).
Topic Starter
[MTF] Wolfette

jaaakb wrote:

Men generally perform better in any sport. Long term endurance sports are an exception i think (several days of perfomance).
(usually) Comparing men and women is like comparing a taxi to a monster truck. It's not a fair comparison

Not sure about trans women tho, I'm sure that's a different story
dung eater
Googling low tesrtosterone and high estrogen in men is the best i can do. Low testosterone does reduce musclemass. Low t during young age when it's easier to build muscle will probably have more impact.
Topic Starter
[MTF] Wolfette
Low t during young age when it's easier to build muscle will probably have more impact.
I wouldn't necessarily consider 18 "young", but yeah, I see your point
ManuelOsuPlayer
I've seen trans kick big guys ass XD I guess you will play the same.
Wishes
I'm assuming you're talking about estrogen? I don't think think it will have a large impact overall. Osu is not really a game that requires great athleticism or huge muscles. Besides, a lot of finger strength can be attributed to tendons in the hand and how well they transfer force. I would say don't worry about it, just play at your best. Worrying about overall physical ability is just as pointless and counter-productive as worrying about not having talent.
Brainage
osu! is all about muscle MEMORY and endurance, not really muscle. If it was, Rafis would have fingers the size of my wrists.
Topic Starter
[MTF] Wolfette

Wishes wrote:

I'm assuming you're talking about estrogen? I don't think think it will have a large impact overall. Osu is not really a game that requires great athleticism or huge muscles. Besides, a lot of finger strength can be attributed to tendons in the hand and how well they transfer force. I would say don't worry about it, just play at your best. Worrying about overall physical ability is just as pointless and counter-productive as worrying about not having talent.
Yeah, I'm talking about estrogen
abraker

Brainage wrote:

osu! is all about muscle MEMORY and endurance, not really muscle. If it was, Rafis would have fingers the size of my wrists.
what is endurance about? Like what needs to happen with my body to be able to endure more?
Topic Starter
[MTF] Wolfette

abraker wrote:

Brainage wrote:

what is endurance about? Like what needs to happen with my body to be able to endure more?

/r/murderedbywords
DXPOHIHIHI
Go lift lol
Topic Starter
[MTF] Wolfette

szkiller wrote:

Go lift lol

Nah, then my arms will look like hams
NixXSkate
Unless you want to increase speed, probably not significantly. Although I wonder if your drive might change
B1rd
There's a reason why guys makes up 95% of the playerbase and pretty much 100% of the top-ranked players.

Grip strength for example, which ties into the muscles used in osu!, is far greater in men, and the average man has the same grip strength as a high-performance female athlete. Of course, taking hormones won't make you a women, but it's very likely to have some negative effect.
ManuelOsuPlayer
I think testosterone give you energy to break a wall using your head. Estrogen is the opposite. You may become more sensible and your emotions will change. If you can't control them you will quit the game.
That's the only real problem i see, why women are not at least 40% of any competitive sport and game.
Physically i think women and men are equally strong. Also there are more smart women. Men in general is so stupid, or so smart. Anyways be smart or stupid shouldn't affect your performance at all.
The big factors what i think matters at the end are the energy to play. And how the society see women what play games.
A woman playing the game daily without quit and what is able to tryhard will be as good as a man.
B1rd

ManuelOsuPlayer wrote:

I think testosterone give you energy to break a wall using your head. Estrogen is the opposite. You may become more sensible and your emotions will change. If you can't control them you will quit the game.
That's the only real problem i see, why women are not at least 40% of any competitive sport and game.
Physically i think women and men are equally strong. Also there are more smart women. Men in general is so stupid, or so smart. Anyways be smart or stupid shouldn't affect your performance at all.
The big factors what i think matters at the end are the energy to play. And how the society see women what play games.
A woman playing the game daily without quit and what is able to tryhard will be as good as a man.
I agree that testosterone is a big mental factor in making people competitive. but it's just completely wrong to say that men and women aren't different physically. Men are way stronger than women.
ManuelOsuPlayer

B1rd wrote:

I agree that testosterone is a big mental factor in making people competitive. but it's just completely wrong to say that men and women aren't different physically. Men are way stronger than women.
Isn't it due to a social factor? Guys fighting at playground, playing football... Meanwhile girls walking around and dancing?
Topic Starter
[MTF] Wolfette

B1rd wrote:

Sexist
B1rd

ManuelOsuPlayer wrote:

B1rd wrote:

Isn't it due to a social factor? Guys fighting at playground, playing football... Meanwhile girls walking around and dancing?

AsrielDr33murr wrote:

B1rd wrote:

Sexist
Nope, it's innate physical characteristics. Just look at the performance of top atheletes. Both train to the limits of their physical capability, but men come up way on top. To the point that in a lot of areas top female athletes are on par with mediocre men.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sex_diffe ... d_strength

It's also why it's stupid to let trannies compete in sports for women.

https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/trans ... her-eye-so
show more