forum

universal offset

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
ellyn
Hello osu, so recently i have been facing a rather frustrating problem. 2 weeks or so ago, i did a ton of high difficulty maps such as Uta[Himei] on No Fail and my streaming speed and stamina improved, but soon after that, about a week back, i realised i could no longer singletap (i use my middle for singletaps).

Now you might be thinking oh so you want to know how to improve? Well no, i'm pretty sure the only way to improve is to play more, but, i felt this has something to do with my universal offset. Before i realised this might be the issue at hand, i kept increasing my offset before, when i started 4 star maps i was at -20ms, when i could do 5 star, i was at 30ms, and before posting this i was at 60ms. What i observed was that my accuracy would generally increase the more i increased the offset and thus i kept increasing it. However, i soon noticed that although my accuracy was "going up", i could no longer hit the jumps and my accuracy in even about 4.8 maps which i was pretty comfortable with back then, would never go above 85%.

Today, i changed the offset back to 0ms and i was getting 100s and 50s everywhere it was hard to continue playing the map.

Thus, my point is, either the offset has changed my muscle memory so much that my accuracy plummeted, or there is something else at hand here.

Once again, this is not me asking how to improve, this is me asking if whether anyone has came across the same issue, or if anyone has any suggestions other than play more.

and also here's a screenshot because i have no idea how to use the functions when posting a thread:
https://imgur.com/a/5z2pD
ManuelOsuPlayer
Go to global offset and chose 0. Pick a 3*-4* ranked map what have a song you like a lot. Go to map editor, chose speed 0'25 put headsets and listen what instruments the circles are following. Edit the map to OD10 and save it. Back to singleplayer and play the map using HT mod or HT + HR or HT + HD. Tap to make your hitsounds sound over those instruments.
Share the replay or check by yourself if you're hitting at same MS spots or the lines at bottom bar are just randomly placed.

If i change the offset i do the patterns faster or slower than i should. I took me a lot to start using my rhythm sense into play. Was after spam OD10 at maps what already had good acc at.

Not all the maps have perfectly offset. You may move local offset at some. And check some of them to find the general right global offset
Wishes
Just universal offset to 0. You are not at a level of experience where you should mess with it. You are playing maps that are way too difficult for you and using the offset as a crutch so you can hit later and not miss. Go and practice accuracy on maps that you can comfortably pass with good acc and aim for 97%+ for example.
E m i

Wishes wrote:

Just universal offset to 0. You are not at a level of experience where you should mess with it.
yes he is and everyone is because universal offset should never be determined by gameplay, never ever ever.

of course... he did some weird and dumb things to it sadly lol

here's something that worked for me on 3 different motherboards:

kriers wrote:

What I heard to be correct and definitely works for me is to download peppy - Offset Wizard.

While having this playing in the background, open the Offset Wizard in your settings. This will make both sounds overlap each other.
Add +20 to universal offset and force it off-sync. Decrease the offset by 1 at a time until the very first tick they sound like they're simultaneous. This should be your universal offset.
Wishes

Momi wrote:

Wishes wrote:

Just universal offset to 0. You are not at a level of experience where you should mess with it.
yes he is and everyone is because universal offset should never be determined by gameplay, never ever ever.

of course... he did some weird and dumb things to it sadly lol
If OP can't figure out what it's supposed to be used for it's better to just leave it at 0. Like who puts it at 60ms lol.
Kondou-Shinichi
fun fact: universal offset should only be used if your audio device have delay