forum

Osu! General beatmap study pack

posted
Total Posts

Do you think osu should have a map pack for beatmappers to study from?

yes
100.00%
no
0.00%
maybe, depends what's in it
0.00%
other
0.00%
Total votes: 1
Polling ended
Topic Starter
TheWritersMind
Please note that this thread is a bit of a work in progress. I will update this thread when I feel like the community has given everyone enough to go on. If it is not updated when you are reading this, and you feel there is significant enough information, do not be afraid to compile it yourself and distribute it.

Hello Osu! community. I have been recently interested in mapping, but I am at the point where it no longer makes sense for me to continue developing on my own, and I think the new mapping community could probably use a sort of study pack.

Not everyone who wants to map has enough experience to understand which maps are good or bad, or if they know they are good they don't know why they are good, or what makes their map bad in comparison, and some people cant play the diff they want to map.

So I would like to compile these maps that you think would help to study in some sort of big megathread. This is a community open source project and i'm hoping that the community can come together and help set up a comprehensive study guide.

I would love it if popular mappers would share their favorite maps, what makes them good to study, how their organized, rhythm, tech choice, and etc. This will not only help new mappers but it may help older mappers too because it may shed some light on what some people are lacking with their mapping, and what players expect from a good ranked map.

Pishifat has good tutorial videos, but people will need to study how other mappers handle rhythm, organization, and play-ability, and come up with their own ways of handling all of the quirks that come from a game like osu.

Try to focus on only one or 2 aspects per map. pick a map that does one thing REALLY well. and explain why it works well.

Things to include in your post (if applicable): Beatmap link, Genera, Bpm, organizational scheme, Rhythm choice, why the map works the way it is set up, what makes it good to play, and any other relevant information that I have neglected to list because i'm bad.

gimmicks (for example explain why a gimmick works for a particular map),

mapsets (easy medium normal and insane all have slightly different mapping conventions that are subtle yet not fully explained so sheding light on these would be nice)

Extra difficulty mapping conventions (for those who like high bpm extra difficulties like me)

and any other things you can think of that would help. I will add and edit the post as necessary Remember, there isn't a right way to make a map, so this will be an opinionated topic. try to keep things civil. Thanks everyone :)

Also there is a great comment on the reddit post by Scarlet_evans https://www.reddit.com/r/osugame/comments/87x9w1/i_would_like_to_seek_the_osu_subreddits_help_in/dwgsn7m/ which goes over some of this in more detail.