forum

'Domination' 1 versus 1 Multiplayer Gameplay Mode

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
hoihoisoi
I just thought up of this one fine day playing some FPS game. In any case, the game mode I thought up is a 1v1 mode and is based on hit or miss only. Which means the only outcome when you hit a beat is hit or miss. No 300, 100 or 50. Just hit or miss only. (Difficulty on how accurate you want it can be determined later). Accuracy and combos are also omitted from whatever calculation of score however the amount of combos done by a player will still be shown on screen.

What happens is there will be a long meter gauge running the whole length of the upper part of the screen. Half of it will be red and the other half will be blue with a slider in the middle. Basically the gameplay is simple. If both players hit the beat and get a hit in, it remains in the middle. If you miss one beat while your opponent doesn't your opponent's side of the gauge will take over yours, vice versa. Both misses will result in nothing happening. At the end of the game the winner is determined by whose gauge is more. If it is still in the middle, it results as a draw.

For the time being ignore this paragraph but it is an idea to think about so discuss it if you want but this is not the main idea of the mode, just an add on:
[With this kind of gameplay input, special abilities can be added into play. For example, before the match starts a player can choose to pick an ability out of a few abilities which can alter gameplay. These ability will last up to short periods of time like probably 5 to 10 seconds. Abilities that works well with players like decreasing AR, Increasing circle size, hit multipliers (Hitting one beat results in getting 2 beats in thus giving an advantage to players) or bonus drives (That require you to fulfill a hard requirement in exchange for beat hits - this one has no time limit, it starts from the very beginning of the match, such as stringing together a large combo or play through the game with flashlight or hardrock or things like that). Counter abilities such as Flash Light, Opponent AR Increase, Opponent Circle size decrease, Sudden Death, Opaque(Make beats and cursor harder to see) can be added to irritate opponents but all of these last for short bursts of time. A warning will be put up for these counter abilities on the opponents side to inform them about the change so to make it fair (5 second warning before execution). These abilities can be executed by setting an input button anywhere on the keyboard or even on mouse (slider button press). Which means both players must know the map well to fully exploit the bonus abilities, thus it requires a certain amount of skill and knowledge. For this feature however, skin has to be force reset to Osu's default theme to make it fair for all. This is just an add on idea, it can be discussed but it's not the main idea of the mode]

No points will be given for ranking and what not since this game mode doesn't include counting points just which notes got hit and which notes did not. Thinking about it, eliminating the 50 and 100 points will make this mode challenging, so only hit or miss is present in the game mode. In any case this was the idea I got. It stands as a personal opinion nothing more.
s 8 n
Lol call of osu :3
Atmei
Sounds like fun !!
I like the idea
Tshemmp
Really interesting idea, but I don't understand some restrictions:

Why only hit or miss? Just take the gap between when you clicked and when the note was for comparing the players.
Example: Player A was 13 ms too early, player B was 28 ms too late. The gauge will move 28-13=15 units in player A's direction.

When you activate a special ability I wouldn't fix the warning on a certain time like 5 seconds. This should be beatmap-dependable. For example beatmaps with a faster AR and higher bpm have a shorter warning time.

I don't understand why there has to be the default osu! skin. Fairness? Everyone can choose her/his preferred skin which (s)he can play best with. And in multiplayer you can use your custom skins, too.
those
DDR has this kind of thing. It's called Battle mode.
Topic Starter
hoihoisoi

Tshemmp wrote:

Really interesting idea, but I don't understand some restrictions:

Why only hit or miss? Just take the gap between when you clicked and when the note was for comparing the players.
Example: Player A was 13 ms too early, player B was 28 ms too late. The gauge will move 28-13=15 units in player A's direction.

When you activate a special ability I wouldn't fix the warning on a certain time like 5 seconds. This should be beatmap-dependable. For example beatmaps with a faster AR and higher bpm have a shorter warning time.

I don't understand why there has to be the default osu! skin. Fairness? Everyone can choose her/his preferred skin which (s)he can play best with. And in multiplayer you can use your custom skins, too.
It's still an idea in progress so there are still some holes and what not. The reason why I thought of hit and miss is because going back to point calculation would just make the gameplay feel like multiplayer mode. Your take on it sounds good, it can be a working idea too. The special ability warning can be beatmap-dependable as said, that's a pretty good idea. As for the default skin thing, I thought because it's a 1v1 thing, to get rid of any disputes about fairness and whatnot, using a standardize skin would serve as a level play ground, I mean, disputes and stuff happens due to it and 1v1 is a bit of a more personal match than multiplayer. Also, i'm not sure if some skins can cancel out some special abilities such as opaque and stuff like that, so to counter that I just thought having a leveled skin would be fine. Just a personal opinion here that's all. I'm not saying it's correct or anything, just stating an opinion.