forum

Any fellow newbie 18+ yo players feel late to the party?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
SpasticSurgeon
I've played lots of games during my youth (I even played the precursor to osu! when I was like 10), but I mostly focused on CoD (before it got shit), League, Civ 5, Super Smash Bros Melee, Magic the Gathering, etc. etc.

Now I'm 19 and I still play games, but I just have less time. More responsibilities. Work. Education. Life Purpose...And all that to worry about. I don't know about you guys, but I just kind of coasted through pretty much all of primary and high-school and would spend hours at home just fucking around on games. I guess with marching band I didn't have as much time as I thought I did in high school, but I just remember how free and guiltless and PURE all that time felt when I didn't have school and could just play whatever for however long. It was my time to do what I wanted. I miss that. I mean, I still have it, but it's a bit different now; more adult and depressing.

Maybe I'm being all nostalgic and looking at things with rose-tinted glasses, but I remember all of the hours in middle and high-school that I could have spent playing this game. Don't get me wrong, those other games I played I don't regret, but something about this game makes me feel like it would have been perfect to sink hours and hours into.

It's just kinda sad you know. Brings a tear to my eye. I wish I would have wasted my time on this instead of League. Better get started now at least... oh god I'm choking up hold me senpai :( :( :( :( :( :(
E m i
i feel late to the party but 14-17 (18 in 13 days) and i'm a completely different can of worms either way. as in i'm glad to be growing up and i didn't have a childhood basically so osu would be COOL to have at 7-14 years old.

I even have more time now, i just don't enjoy games anymore! 8-)
Shoy
I'm 24, 25 in 6 months now, started playing osu! at... 24yo, and no, I'm not feeling especially late.

I spent a lot and a lot of fucking time into video games as far as I remember.
Already had a Sega Megadrive, a SNES and a Nintendo64 at 5-6 yo. Continued with the first GameBoy, then the GBColor, the Advance, Advance SP, Wii, WiiU and all the Nintendo stuff (Only one regret : I never had the GameCube :( ).
Playstation, 1, 2, 3, 4 and almost all the Sony stuff too... I don't even remember exactly when my first computer came in, prolly around 10, which means 14 years ago now.

I just followed a simple rule : I stay on a game if I enjoy it. I go away if I don't. I stayed +/- 10 years on some online games because it was great, even if at this point you stay more for the community (or the part who still stay) than for the game itself.

I have all those responsabilities you're talking about, work, bills, ..., ..., ..., as you said, it's just life.
And I'm enjoying more my life right now than my life 10 years ago tbh, even if it was fun as hell back in the time.

I spent a good 4.000 hours into League overall, and I'm still playing League now. I just added osu! on the list of the games I enjoy spending some free time.
I know since the start I won't be the next Cookiezi or the next hvick, it's already too late for this, I'm already too old for this, and I don't have enough free time for this. But who cares... as long as you can enjoy your playtime, here, or anywhere else, it's fine.

____

Totally aside of what I said, if you would have spent all those hours into osu, basically now you would say you regret it and you should have spent those hours into another game.
I'm 100% convinced of that.
Barusamikosu
I know your feels dude I knew about osu! in 2007 but didn't play it. Stupid me missing out on PPV1 I would have fit right in. Wish I had massive amounts of free time to dump into osu! too, but oh well. Part of getting older I guess.

Shoy wrote:

(Only one regret : I never had the GameCube :( ).
GameCube is awesome dude you should pick one up. Just make sure to get one with a Digital Out port and don't be a dummy like me. Also get the GameBoy Player attachment because it's definitely one of the best ways to play GB/GBC/GBA games on official hardware. Lot of great games on the GameCube too though I'm sure you've already played a bunch of them if you have one of the original backward compatible Wiis
Semaphia
I'm 29 and I don't feel late to anything :) The game is fun, & that's all that matters. Sure, I wish I'd tried it years back when my younger brother mentioned it to me, but ah well.
Eduwarudo
Started playing this game when I was 20. I stopped playing vidya after my childhood because I was just trash compared to other people in online games, but osu's ranking system is very individual based so that removes a lot of pressure. Now I'm facing my fears and even playing Overwatch :D

Glad to still be here after 350+ hours on this circle clicking game.
Eurocat
hell im 17 and i feel late as fuck
HawkAussie
I'm 19 and I feel like I am old to the party.
Buster
im 14
maybe im the youngest of the party?
Mabuchi Shun
I totally understand your feeling.. I'm currently 18 this year and I just graduated from high school and stepping into adulthood.

I realized that my time fucking around playing games and home and hanging out with friends from time to time is very limited.
I started osu when I was like 14 years old back then I didn't know shit about the game and I just played it for fun, I never knew there were pro players like cookie or rafis but eventually I got bored of it and I started getting back into the game when I was 16 and I was super hooked to it. I would play every single day and watching myself improve was the best feeling in the world. During school years I could spend hours pouring my heart and soul into this game and I didn't give a shit about my education until I was on the last senior year of my high school life. I'd still play the game but it was a lot less than the hours I've put in before. After I graduated,I spent more time playing because I thought I finally graduated and I'm free to do whatever I want but the truth is I still have to look forward to college and universities and eventually working in the society like a functional human being.

I miss myself during my school days,but unfortunately I could never get those times back.
Akanagi
Mhh, not really.

Sure, if I would've started earlier I might've had a more realistic chance to get to the top, but what is that worth in this game exactly?

In a couple of years maybe this game won't exist anymore and people will feel the same as you do now, thinking they wasted their time with osu! instead of playing a FPS now that their skills that they acquired with 1-4k hours are "wasted".

The game also doesn't get any more fun the better you get. If anything I'd argue that most people had the most fun when they were beginners and not addicted to improving to reach some elusive goal, that, by the time they reach it, feels worthless again because you already have a new one.

I poured all my time into RPGs and various competetive games and didn't even know about this game until like 2k16. I'm turning 24 soon and while I definitely feel old compared to the average osu player, I don't think it would've been more worth for me to play this instead of any other games.
Atleast FPS / RPG etc. skills carry over to other genres. Osu! skills are basically useless in any other game but this one.

Shoy wrote:

Totally aside of what I said, if you would have spent all those hours into osu, basically now you would say you regret it and you should have spent those hours into another game.
What this guy said basically.
Green Platinum
Started osu! in 2011 but have been big into rhythm games since 2004. During my youth computer access time was much more limited than what I have now even with all my responsibilities (Although I do manage time quite efficiently). I guess my perspective is different because getting super good at osu! was never a priority for me and was only used for the sake of convenience and now that I have committed the time and money to a proper arcade set-up I have no use for osu!
E m i

Shoy wrote:

how do you manage to assume 100% especially about some random person you barely know
it's only a possibility that he would have another game he likes that much, but you say 100%.

i don't know how likely it is for him, for me for example it definitely is bullshit, all games i enjoy putting any substantial amount of time in are osu and otome games and i'm like 1 year away from not caring about games anymore so not much probability remains here.
Shoy

Momi wrote:

Shoy wrote:

how do you manage to assume 100% especially about some random person you barely know
it's only a possibility that he would have another game he likes that much, but you say 100%.

i don't know how likely it is for him, for me for example it definitely is bullshit, all games i enjoy putting any substantial amount of time in are osu and otome games and i'm like 1 year away from not caring about games anymore so not much probability remains here.
How ? Pretty simple.

There's a huge difference beetween saying you would have know and play a game way earlier, and say you regret hundred/thousand hours you spent on a game for another one, basically all this amount of time, he would spent it here because he thinks he could/would be better.

The only fact he's able to say that in this way, means he's 100% able to say that on the other way.

Now instead of quoting every single one of my post in this forum to say I'm wrong every single time (maybe you don't like me, and honestly I don't even care), I would be curious to know how you manage to say I can't be 100% convinced of that, since it engages only my point of view.

Edit : You can read Rayne's post too. It resumes pretty well my thoughts.

Edit2 : Still, I can thank you Momi, I realized I was wrong about one point in my first post. I said I spent a good 4000 hours into League, when it's less.
I guess I'll have to play 61 more hours to be finally right. :roll:

E m i
you're not wrong every single time, i barely know you, i only have a problem when people say they can tell the future of alternate timelines with 100% certainty.
do i care if it's you or someone else, do i care if i myself did that in the past? I might have did that in the past... And in that case i would be wondering how I managed to do it as well.

Maybe he would maybe he wouldn't, but you say 100%. If you saw that alternate timeline it makes sense for you to say you're 100% convinced, but i'm 99.9999999348% convinced that you didn't. I accept the possibility that you might have seen it of course.

maybe his mind is only compatibile to like osu to this extent, neither of us knows what's the case but one of us acts like they do :roll:

basically... whenever you are out of nowhere inferring that someone would with 100% certainty act in a certain way, you are stripping them of their personality not even considering any possibilities or choices they might have.

Shoy wrote:

There's a huge difference beetween saying you would have know and play a game way earlier, and say you regret hundred/thousand hours you spent on a game for another one, basically all this amount of time, he would spent it here because he thinks he could/would be better.
also i didn't understand this sentence at all. your english is understandable i just don't know how anything connects to the other words logically.

Shoy wrote:

The only fact he's able to say that in this way, means he's 100% able to say that on the other way.
right here you say "able to" which is obviously true, you don't even need to think to find that out...

but before you were saying "he WOULD" do it, what a disconnection.

Shoy wrote:

Edit : You can read Rayne's post too. It resumes pretty well my thoughts.
i read all posts and i didn't have a problem with anything else

Shoy wrote:

Edit2 : Still, I can thank you Momi, I realized I was wrong about one point in my first post. I said I spent a good 4000 hours into League, when it's less.
I guess I'll have to play 61 more hours to be finally right. :roll:

don't worry rounding is cool and you made the more accurate out of two available decisions - rounding it to 4000 instead of 3000 :)
marimonika
24 going 25 this year and no not really. Nothing really has changed for me. I still play regularly but casually since I can only afford certain games so I only buy games/franchises I really love since PS1/PS2 days. I rarely buy new games.
Karrae
i started aged 22 because Im and idiot and kept delaying until my BF finally made me start. I definitely feel that im slower than most.
Topic Starter
SpasticSurgeon
Wowe Momi knows. Took the words right out of my mouth.

To the guy that says it would be the same for every game I played. I disagree. There are a lot of aspects about games that can make them more of a subjective "waste" than others. But I don't wanna argue about it just give my perspective.