forum

Is it normal to be addicted to looking at rank?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
SpasticSurgeon
For the first few days I didn't even notice the number on my profile, but I saw people mention "x-digit" players and I became aware of it. Now, everytime I finish a song I look at my rank. I click my profile several times a day to look at my graph and see how much I improve. I think I do it too much and almost wish I could turn it off and just focus on the game. On one hand it keeps me hungry to improve, but on the other I think it influences me to tilt when I know I will get PP for a song when I should just focus on fun and improving.

Anyone else?
pandaBee
Its a marathon, not a race.
E m i
yes it's a common personality trait/whatever, example when i put a pill between my gum and lip i keep checking it every 20 seconds or so. it can be full OCD but doesn't have to.

it's easy to check your rank i guess, maybe if it required a lot of effort you would be doing it more rarely
Topic Starter
SpasticSurgeon

pandaBee wrote:

Its a marathon, not a race.
In the beginning though you improve a lot so it's easy to get sucked into it. Of course once you get better everyone has put in so many hours that you have to as well. Right now though it's fun to see my rank go up by a lot of numbers even though I know it's meaningless. It's fun to pretend it's a race. Fun, but probably a bad longterm mindset. Anyway, I wish I could turn it off.

I don't play for the PP but I just play what's difficult for me and every so often I play a song I can do well on and I get PP. I think it's kinda dumb to PP farm unless you have basically given up or postponed actually trying to get better or something. Makes much more sense to have goals on specific songs or skills and let the PP/rank come as a result.

Anyway I know what you mean, but I can't help but look at the numbers and be titillated.
-mint-
play this game how you wish to play it. it's your choice whether you want to aim for certain ranks or not. just don't spend so much time playing the game that it affects your day to day life
Topic Starter
SpasticSurgeon

Momi wrote:

yes it's a common personality trait/whatever, example when i put a pill between my gum and lip i keep checking it every 20 seconds or so. it can be full OCD but doesn't have to.

it's easy to check your rank i guess, maybe if it required a lot of effort you would be doing it more rarely
Right. I know what you mean in general but don't understand why you would put a pill there unless you are doing hard drugs? Not accusing just wondering.

And yah I agree I kinda wish I couldn't see it all the time, or better yet have the option to turn it off.
E m i

SpasticSurgeon wrote:

Momi wrote:

Right. I know what you mean in general but don't understand why you would put a pill there unless you are doing hard drugs? Not accusing just wondering.

And yah I agree I kinda wish I couldn't see it all the time, or better yet have the option to turn it off.
not hard drugs just prescription medicine
higher absorption and easier on the liver
Topic Starter
SpasticSurgeon
not hard drugs just prescription medicine
higher absorption and easier on the liver
Oh I see. Sorry if that was a weird question I have just never heard of that except for cocaine but it makes sense that you would want absorption in both cases! I have to take levothoxyrine for my prescription and I take it with a bunch of water for absorption so I can kinda relate.
Barusamikosu

SpasticSurgeon wrote:

Now, everytime I finish a song I look at my rank.
It's satisfying to see those PP/rank gains on a big play but then you also have the crushing disappointment of gaining nothing on an underrated play
Topic Starter
SpasticSurgeon

Barusamikosu wrote:

SpasticSurgeon wrote:

Now, everytime I finish a song I look at my rank.
It's satisfying to see those PP/rank gains on a big play but then you also have the crushing disappointment of gaining nothing on an underrated play
Tell me about it. Today I F2'd on 4 star songs and I hardly beat any even though I can usually beat about 20%. I was so tilted my rank didn't go up even though I'm pretty sure I got a lot better today. I will probably see rank improve when I play easier songs tomorrow. But it sucked so bad because I was about to pass a 4.5 star map but I would choke at the end everytime. Even though i don't normally retry this one tilted me so bad I retried it three times and created a new collection for songs like that called "grudge". I added 2 more to it today as well.
kai99
yea its addicting tbh but i got out of it and will be out of it for a while till i get addicted again
Edgar_Figaro
Play the game how you want to play it.

If you enjoy chasing rank then do that

If you don’t care about your rank and just want to play interesting maps then do that

If you want to get #1 ranks on maps then do that

If you want to not actually play the game and just map then do that

TL:DR there is no right/wrong way to enjoy the game. Don’t let anyone tell you otherwise
pandaBee

Barusamikosu wrote:

I'm sure you have a lot of those 8-)
KuroganeSuoh
I know that feeling of fullfillment and excitement whenever you see your rank suddenly go up the list. I have that kind of mindset
where I need to improve everyday and be better until now. Whenever I finish a very hard map it makes me
hungry for more difficult ones. Just recently I' m having difficulties with streaming but when I watched streamers, took
a long 1 hour break and tried it again I was laughing at myself, Why? I mean how the hell did I get past the streaming part
on which on the beginning I can't even get past to. That was when I decided to transition from hard to insane because of the
417 pp capping but before that I managed to gain even more pp by farming on 1k maps haha.
You get annoyed by how sh** you are at first but after that you get satisfied and even laugh as to how
you managed to get past that thing that was holding you back to finish a map. :) :D ;)
Topic Starter
SpasticSurgeon

Edgar_Figaro wrote:

Play the game how you want to play it.

If you enjoy chasing rank then do that

If you don’t care about your rank and just want to play interesting maps then do that

If you want to get #1 ranks on maps then do that

If you want to not actually play the game and just map then do that

TL:DR there is no right/wrong way to enjoy the game. Don’t let anyone tell you otherwise
Not really my question. I was asking if it's normal :P
Akanagi

SpasticSurgeon wrote:

On one hand it keeps me hungry to improve, but on the other I think it influences me to tilt when I know I will get PP for a song when I should just focus on fun and improving.

Anyone else?
That's like 99% of this games active community. Don't worry.
mulraf
always counting together my pp of all gamemodes and comparing it to top players pp in one mode is my guilty pleasure. i know it doesn't have any relation or correlation but i still do it so often. so sad when you already left behind all taiko players many months ago but are still about #400 in mania ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
worst fl player
haHAA
Barusamikosu

pandaBee wrote:

Barusamikosu wrote:

I'm sure you have a lot of those 8-)
Well most players have at least a few :?