forum

Bomb Beats

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
Pokebis
I had this idea a bit back, but forgot to post it here. :roll:
Anyways, I think it would be nice to add "Bomb Beats" to osu! They're beats that you don't want to hit. They look similar to normal beats but should have a distinct difference (and the ability to have them skinned) Basically when you hit one it breaks your combo and maybe lowers your score a bit (up to peppy). This would add a new layer of strategy and difficulty to osu! They should disappear when they meet the circle. This would be deadly in some maps. Probably not acceptable in death streams lol.
If you need an example "bombs" are implemented in Stepmania. They are also disableable so maybe a "no-bomb" mod would be useful in osu! too.
If I didn't explain well enough ask me what you need me to clarify, I've got it set up in my mind pretty well.

EDIT: These shouldn't be random (could show up in a deathstream~) They should be selectable in the editor.
ash
or "mine" beats

<Ash> i need it for a map

add plz ;__;
Saturos
Mines.

EDIT: Damnit, Ash beat me to it.
James
already discussed 18 years ago. you just changed the name =\
LuigiHann
I'm against it
James
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
LuigiHann
I was against it then, too
James
so am i, hahaha
ThePassingShadow
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
kingcobra52
Multiplayer powerup maybe?
Larto

kingcobra52 wrote:

Multiplayer powerup maybe?
This :P

lukewarmholiday
I say no, remember those painfully irritating stepmania songs once mines we added >.>
YoshiKart
The worse we can do is stray this thing away from Ouendan/EBA.
awp
just SB in fake notes for your map that needs it. It'll still break people's combos.
ash
no it wouldnt
if you hit nothing, nothing will happen
it wouldnt break your combo unless you attempted to confuse the player (storyboarding the circle completely away from the real one, along with a storyboarded approach circle), but it doesnt have anywhere near the same effect as a beat that when hit will destroy your combo and possibly make you lose some hp as well
YoshiKart
If you put a hitcircle/slider directly under a SB'd hitcircle/slider, and it isn't too far away in the timeline, then it'll count as a miss. Hopefully not a shake.
ash
but you would have to hit the beat under it EVENTUALLY

if you dont hit it at all it would break your combo anyway

-_-

also game elements are above all storyboarded elements if im not mistaken
YoshiKart
True, but that's pretty much the only way a storyboarded "bomb beat" can break your combo; by hitting a real beat to early.

Just storyboard a closing approach circle right in front of another real hitcircle. You will get an X/50 when you think it was real, and you can tell it isn't real because the "approach circle" is behind everything.
Echo
Don't forget storyboard goes BEHIND real hit circles :P
YoshiKart

YoshiKart wrote:

you can tell it isn't real because the "approach circle" is behind everything.

Personally, I think bomb beats are useless. I'd just rather have the concept of storyboarding fake things to trick the player.
Gemi

lukewarmholiday wrote:

I say no, remember those painfully irritating stepmania songs once mines we added >.>
Yeah, and a million great charts utilizing mines perfectly. World of dance games would be so much crappier without mines. Since osu has a moding system we could easily prevent crappy bomb/mine gimmick maps from being ranked, making your point moot.

That being said, I still don't think that bombs/mines are a necessary or good addition to the game.
Rolled
I'm confused. How often do you hit something that you aren't supposed to hit? The only somewhat useful thing this brings (which will be mother fucking annoying, btw) is to throw mines in between stacks. In that case, I'm against it.

Fuck this idea.
YoshiKart
Stacks and streams are impossible to interpret unless you can tell that the approach circle coincides with the bomb (like different color, different shape, etc)

Please bomb this idea. >_>
silasw
How about a mine that blows up if you move your mouse over it? Horribly annoying, maybe, but it makes more sense.
Topic Starter
Pokebis
I'm great at stirring these things up :roll:
Maybe this could just be used as a powerup in multilayer. But instead of breaking your combo it could do one or any of the following; drain the Ki Bar, lower score, and/or make an annoying animation if hit. Also your combo wouldn't be broken if you avoid these beats.
minyeob
Good idea.
But it's complicated.
I think "bomb beats" mod is nearly impossible to be a rank mod.