forum

What’s wrong with being a weeaboo?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
abraker

Everything

You have a deep desire for life to like an anime. So much so, you delude yourself to believe that things that are not anime are anime. You try to escape to a fantasy world. You don't accept reality and the one you want to is not real. You think an animated form can be translated to real form without any degradation in quality. Since anime originates from Japan you think japan is like anime.

Running like Naruto is cool because it was animated to look cool
Magic powers don't exist, alchemy circles don't do shit
Your waifu was created by an underpaid group of people in Japan
Most of Japan doesn't even watch anime

You are just desperate because your life is not exciting enough
Naimae
There are definitely levels of weeaboos

The type the second picture describes is like the worst it can get and probably what most people think of when they think of weeaboos. Any who watches anime in general gets called a weeaboo, even though that's probably not necessarily the case. I do like to call myself a weeaboo though, just as an easy way to label myself generically, but that's probably not the best idea. My idea of weeaboo is just someone who likes anime and stuff, but deeper weeaboos - as I mentioned earlier - are like the second picture.

I do appreciate Japanese culture, though. It's like their culture has been so preserved throughout time that it just comes off as the most "out there" culture to us. If I had the opportunity, I would've gone to like a kyuudou club since. It seems very graceful and meditative and bows are cool to me. I like Japanese food, I would've liked to take kendo as well, since it seems like a really interesting sport. Much more interesting than anything they have here in the States.

Does that make me a weeaboo? Probably. I do prefer aspects of Japanese culture over my own (American, I guess), but I wouldn't say I'm obsessed with it. I'm not going to dress up like an anime girl and start calling all my seniors senpai.

If we define weeaboo as the way everyone thinks it is, a fat neckbeard who dresses up in a kimono and has bodypillows and a samurai sword (basically your second picture), then there's something wrong. There are things wrong that I probably couldn't even begin to understand since it probably has a lot to do with their mental state. How bad does it have to get to throw away everything around you to imitate a culture you'll never truly be part of? You're probably cringy, even to them. It's like becoming the embodiment of an exaggeration of a specific aspect of their culture, and you just stick out like a sore thumb.

But if we talk about a weeaboo as someone who just appreciates Japanese culture and isn't a "deep" weeaboo, then I don't think there's anything wrong.
Topic Starter
abraker
There are two different words that describe the two levels you mentioned.

otaku - one who enjoys anime, manga, and other products of japanese culture
weeaboo - one who is obsessed with the content found within anime and manga

Isn't that description of yourself being an otaku rather than a weeaboo?
Naimae
I should've remembered that word, otaku. That's the word I wanted. Google actually has a definition for this:

I can appreciate Japanese culture while also being a relatively normal human being, right? The word "otaku" literally means at home, so I'd think it gives off the impression of someone who never leaves their home because they're so obsessed with their hobby, they don't care about anything else, leading to the inability to socialize normally.

I agree with the definition of weeaboo, though. Even though I'd give it a less harsh definition, it's probably what most people think of when they use the word.
levesterz

lets dive in this discussion with this soothing jazz music

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =445859561

that link define the stages of weeabos

now whats wrong with weeaboos?
there nothing wrong with them . well some of them actually but majority really do need to seek help like pronto

edit: wew its took mee hours to typr this little sentence and this thread have already have five post the time i posted this
Topic Starter
abraker

citremi wrote:

I don't agree with that definition of "otaku" either. The "obsessed with computers" portion of it would better be that of a nerd. Detriment of social skills is iffy too, but that's a gray zone. I more agree with the meme or slang definition of "otaku", which puts emphasis of taking a good portion of your time indulging in Japanese popular culture products.
Naimae
I don't think nerd and otaku are mutually exclusive. Actually, I'd give them definitions that largely overlap each other. Keep in mind that that definition for otaku is specifically for Japan, and the probably don't use the word 'nerd'.

The meme definition of otaku is something I'll have to disagree on. I've seen it used more as your definition of weeaboo, whereas the meme definition of weeaboo I've seen around would be a variably less intense version of an otaku.
johnmedina999
It's OK to listen to J-pop, just keep it in your earphones.

I mean, I do it myself...
Achromalia

levesterz wrote:

lets dive in this discussion with this soothing jazz music
mmm that jazz

now thats nice
Green Platinum
It's all the fault of Cool Japan
Saturnalize
techno3452
KatouMegumi

Saturnalize wrote:

thank you
saved
Saturnalize

Saturnalize wrote:

J25_games
Whould Otaku be similar to the word Geek
Green Platinum
It's closer than nerd but I think fanatic is more apt.
ColdTooth
What's wrong with being a brony?

Everything

You make yourself look like a fool out of everyone else, a like for colorful pastel horses? What are you, 5? You should be ashamed of yourself if you have a pony picture as your avatar, even worse is the "OCs" you have. Why would you want to interact with these horses, they are just talking horses behind a television screen, honestly, that's even worse. Stop talking to yourself and get an actual job and a life you mongrel.
E m i
What's wrong with adfgngdfdgkhbvcsd?

Holy frick dont like what i dont like
blushjeongguk

J25_games wrote:

Whould Otaku be similar to the word Geek
that was already answered. In Japan they dont use the word 'Geek' or 'Nerd' they say 'Otaku'
Achromalia
Definitely the connotation that comes with it.
show more