forum

More in depth metadata interface

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
Lumael
Sometimes it is a real struggle for mappers to find the correct metadata for a specific song, that’s due to ambiguous informations on technically trustable/oficial websites. But here comes the question, if not even the oficial artist cares enough to use the same metadata on their website and YouTube channel at the same time, why do we need to? I’m not saying that we shouldn’t care for metadata at all, what I’m suggesting is a different way of adding metadata information on the Beatmap editor painel.

What if we had instead of only Title / Rom. Title / Artist / Rom. Artist / tags / source —- we also had boxes for featured artists and producer, tv size or not (anything that can add up to the actual metadata title or artist but now in an organized way) so, instead of having each song with a different type of metadata (eg. Feat. Ft. Featuring etc — it really depends on the artist choice) we could simplify the title and standardized all beatmaps to have the same layout.

Just take a look at all the japonese beatmaps we have featured at osu!, every single one of them has their own way of saying the same thing, for instance, variations in TV SIZE, you can pick 5 anime openings from the ranked category and I bet none of them have the same TV SIZE written (stuff like -Tv Size- [TV SIZE] TV SIZE etc is very common, and yet very messy)

Another eg: some songs have feature artist in the title and some in the artist, every artist have their metadata in their own way, and osu! Should standardize every beatmap in order to make it easier to understand for the player, just like streaming services like iTunes, Spotify does
HootOwlStar
personally think that finding the correct metadata is a necessity even though it might seem tedious and struggling. it's the very least we could do in order to avoid unnecessary conflicts, and in another aspect, show the minimal respect to the creators or the owners.

sometimes metadata choices are made for specific purposes, such as capitalization of letters in the middle of words for emphasis or symmetry, lower cases because of aesthetic reasons etc. so even though making metadata standardized could be neat and efficient in times, the initial choices of the creators or owners should be prioritized instead of mappers' conveniences.

besides, adding more fields to fill in seem to be very unnecessary and confusing, considering that there are already quite a number of fields currently to fit in every type of metadata information quite effectively. if addition of the fields is actually required, a lot of effort and considerations have to be made so that the additions would not cause any problems. for example, you can't really differentiate whether someone is a featured artist or not when they use the X&Y format, so implementation of Featured Artist panel would not work etc.
Rivals_7
well, standarization has been proposed i believe, though its not final but will eventually reduce the ambiguity in between "TV size" tags variations

https://osu.ppy.sh/community/forums/topics/632681
https://gist.github.com/Ephemeralis/7fe ... 00d34886a0
Topic Starter
Lumael

Rivals_7 wrote:

well, standarization has been proposed i believe, though its not final but will eventually reduce the ambiguity in between "TV size" tags variations

https://osu.ppy.sh/community/forums/topics/632681
https://gist.github.com/Ephemeralis/7fe ... 00d34886a0
Thank you, I didn’t know about this proposal. However I still think that adding this to the editor would simply and avoid possible mistakes since the algorithm would handle everything else and we just had to check boxes
Nitrous
If its the UI we're talking about, how about making the tags not a single line but a multi line textbox? Also I've seen in lazer including the arranger and composer (possibly Lyricist too).