forum

House MD mentions... the Pokémon God himself

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Zekira
I'm sorry but I just felt that it was too much and felt that it deserved its own topic

Ekaru
I laughed so bloody hard. Good ol' House. Now we know what he plays on the DS we saw him playing on a long time ago. ;P
GladiOol
I only know 151 pokémons.

I don't get it >:
Mismagius

GladiOol wrote:

I only know 151 pokémons.

I don't get it >:
251 here

Even though I know some Hoenn ones

stuff people play these days, I'm glad I could enjoy the good times of Pokémon ;_;
GladiOol
But BD, you weren't even born when pokémon Red and Blue came out

You were raised with 5189358230958430 pokémons.
Mismagius

GladiOol wrote:

But BD, you weren't even born when pokémon Red and Blue came out

You were raised with 5189358230958430 pokémons.
well but fuck this shit, I noticed the newer ones suck and decided to play the good ones \:D/
mm201
It's the nostalgia speaking. The new pokemons are the same as they've always been. For better or worse.
GladiOol
Well, maybe partly, but mostly I hate the new ones because they make evolutions out of evolutions out of evolutions out of evolutions..... it's like playing Inception the video game.
It's butt hurting annoying and I'm not amused by that.

Also: http://puu.sh/9HPC
0_o
The fifth gen didn't have any new evolutions

Apparently I've been mispronouncing Arceus this whole time.
mm201
Gen3 and Gen5 had no new evolutions.
Those random squiggle mons are epic
Topic Starter
Zekira
Yes you have. Movie 12 dubbers were stupid
0_o

Zekira wrote:

Yes you have. Movie 12 dubbers were stupid
I don't watch Pokemon so I've actually never heard it. I just assumed is was a hard 'c'.

Also if you wanna be picky, Gen 3 DID have 2 prevolutions (Azurill and Wynaut).
Topic Starter
Zekira
Ah, that at least gets you out of the 'influenced by stupid' and 'stupid' department, lol

I only watched the movies (the JP ones, then the NA ones after), so yeah...

Oh and don't ignore the comment

wait, arceus created 3 matter?

*looks it up*

dialga, dragon/steel

palkia, dragon/water

giratina, dragon/ghost

thus

steel = solid

water = liquid

ghost = gas

holy shit, pokemon is smarter than we thought
Quaraezha
I only know 151 Pokémons and Smugleaf.
And that's a really cool reference, from House MD even.
Backfire
House has so many video game references, man.
It was awesome when I was a kid and saw him play some new and awesome game
I was like
WAOWH
HOUSE IS PLAYING GAEMS C:
Vext_old
POKEMANS!?
Pokebis
This only deserves to be in the Youtube thread. Pokemon is mainstream, why are you surprised that something mainstream is aware of another thing that is mainstream?
Sleep Powder
I wonder what kinds of mythological beings they'll use next.
Esupanitix
It's only a matter of time before they make Touhou references.

My life will then be complete.
Pokebis
Pokemon is pop culture in America. It's mainstream. It always has been.
Touhou is not mainstream in America.
You're all stupid.
awp

Pokebis wrote:

Pokemon is pop culture in America. It's mainstream. It always has been.
You're all stupid.
shhhh they don't know that
0_o
What fraction of House's audience do you think would actually be familiar with 4th gen Pokemon? I'd think it wouldn't be much.
Pokebis
It doesn't need to be. My argument still stands.
0_o
The first 151 pokemon I'd say are mainstream. Maaaaybe a few of the next 100.

3rd gen and on I'd say are fairly obscure to the general public.
Lilac
The argument here is that House used Pokemon in a way to be semi-applied to real life and sarcastic rebuttals which make very little sense but make people still amazed at how people look at Pokemon in a different way.

Your argument is about how Pokemon is pop culture in America, there's no correlation.
Pokebis
There's a complete correlation. Something pop-culture referenced to pop culture. It happens all the fucking time.
This won't happen to Touhou because nobody who makes this sort of thing knows what the fuck Touhou is. You guys are really making very little sense.
And saying the newest Pokemon aren't mainstream because you don't notice them much doesn't mean they aren't. Can you name every celebrity? Just because you and your small group of friends don't know about/discuss a subject frequently anymore doesn't mean most other people don't. Pokemon is still a kid crowd thing and the current generation of kids are well aware of it. And before you say something like "well kids wouldn't be watching House" please to reevaluate your concept of the word "parent."
Ephemeral
since when are people fucking hipsters?

off to off-topic with you
0_o
Whatever, it's not worth getting into a debate over. It's a humorous in-joke for those familiar with the newer generation of Pokemon, and I don't think there's anything wrong with getting some enjoyment out of it. I won't comment on whether or not it should have got its own thread (though I agree that it should have at least been in Off-Topic).

It's like when someone on a TV or movie mentions your hometown... or is that just me?
Lilac
Did you just ignore my first paragraph?

I suggest you read it again, then actually think. Sure, pop-culture reference pop culture all the time...that's got nothing to do with anything that's been said.
Shiirn
wait, there are more than 100 pokemon?
Shellghost

Lilac wrote:

that's got nothing to do with anything that's been said.
Actually, Pokebis brought the discussion back to the original topic of House MD referencing Pokemon.

Most of the first page was a discussion only about the Pokemon games/series and personal correlation towards them. Pokebis's post was about the original post although also making the point that this thread shouldn't even exist due to the topic's lack of originality or surprising features which would usually warrant a new thread for a subject and that the post should have instead been made in another thread which is entirely purposed to avoid these kind of shitty threads being made.

His debate or discussion is just as relevant as any other discussion in this thread. Except the one I'm currently discussing, being a discussion about the mechanics of discussions.

Yo dawg.
Wojjan
shiirn don't play dumb your avatar is a fifth gen
Pokebis

Lilac wrote:

Did you just ignore my first paragraph?

I suggest you read it again, then actually think. Sure, pop-culture reference pop culture all the time...that's got nothing to do with anything that's been said.
Okay.

Lilac's pseudo-paragraph wrote:

The argument here is that House used Pokemon in a way to be semi-applied to real life and sarcastic rebuttals which make very little sense but make people still amazed at how people look at Pokemon in a different way.
Arceus was always described as the Pokemon who made other Pokemon, thus being God. Most people familiar with Arceus are aware of this and this is not a new viewpoint. God being used in conversation in real life is very common. There's nothing to be amazed by.
Ephemeral
does that mean that the average reproductive female is god because she is a human being creating other human beings?

METHOLODGY HEYOOOOOOO
Wojjan

Ephemeral wrote:

does that mean that the average reproductive female is god because she is a human being creating other human beings?

METHOLODGY HEYOOOOOOO
depends does this female have a book that says she is?
Cuddlebun
I do
Wojjan
GLORY TO THE HYPNOTODE
mathexpert
jon stewart (comedy central) commented on this and it was pretty funny, but unfortunately viacom took it down. :(