forum

Uninstalling Osu! from the Control Panel when Osu! isn't installed in a folder wipes your Hard Drive

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Prickles_Spine

HARD DRIVE WIPED :'(

DO NOT INTALL OSU WITHOUT SPECIFYING A FOLDER.

I have a hard drive called D:. And I directly installed Osu! there without putting it inside a folder. I wanted uninstall then reinstall Osu! because I wanted to update it. I decided to uninstall Osu! in my Contol Panel. After Osu! uninstalled, it wiped nearly all my files in my hard disk. Right now I'm trying to revive my hard drive files, and it really sucks. This is to warn people to please install Osu! in a folder, and I suggest uninstalling it the correct way. I would also like to know why is this happening. pls help fix this if possible :D
Rept_old
That just happened to me right now. So annoying.
GatorZZ
It seems that nowadays you're unable to just "not" specify a folder for osu, as it will automatically create a folder called "osu!" even if you select a root drive. Moving osu! to the root of the drive seems to break the uninstaller so this cannot happen. But, with a little tinkering, if you change the uninstall string in the registry to include the updated location, it does seem to infact delete everything in the drive. I don't think it's necessarily a problem anymore but maybe there should be a sanity check involved that doesn't let the uninstaller run a del command on just a drive letter?

Just for fun, I also tried this on my VMWare's C:\ Drive (which asked me for admin permission before I copied anything) and it hilariously deleted everything it had access to, which caused the Virtual Machine not to boot afterwards. I will say again that I had to do some registry edits to even get it to work in the new location, but that's sorta bad anyways. I don't know if this also works by calling the "osu!.exe -uninstall" command manually.

This was all done in a Virtual Windows 7 machine with UAC enabled, so be careful if your osu! installation somehow ended up in the root of any of your drives.
NeatSaltyBoi
I absolutely fucked up mine when I tried moving the osu folder to my other drive and for some reason the songs that I downloaded still somehow still ended up in the other drive. I uninstalled it and moved it back to my other drive and it didn't delete the songs that I previously downloaded and I don't know how to remove it. Someone please help, my Acer C drive it full as fuck and I do not know how to fix it.