forum

Help me explain a strange tapping phenomenon.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
autoteleology
Put simply:

For some strange reason, despite semi-alternating and having a main (pointer) and secondary (ring) finger, I am way better at bursting/streaming pointer -> ring on odd groups, and ring -> pointer on even groups (in other words, my optimal tap is zx and xzx).

It's to the point where I can do doubles almost twice as fast in the opposite direction of my typical semi-alt. If I break this rule, I find that I stumble my bursts far more frequently.

What causes this? I have no idea why my brain learned to tap like this. It certainly isn't something I did on purpose.

Some possibly relevant info: my pointer finger is almost a centimeter shorter than my ring finger.
E m i
your ring finger will descend quicker because of its length and position, allowing a ring-->index movement to happen naturally but the index--->ring movement to be delayed by the weird tilting of hand that you need to, worse position, shorter length...

index has its own muscle and is your primary finger. it doesn't just rely on being a slightly off-center (ring) finger that relies on a muscle associated with the entire wrist and 3 other fingers. you can think of the index finger as being a smarter one that produces less interference, this makes it more intuitive in situations where you need to move it more often (2 keypresses on a triple, whereas secondary finger is only required to do one). even if you might need to tilt your hand in a weird way like described earlier, the second keypress is the easy one... the third one is most important.
repr1se
try tapping your fingers in order from pointer to pinky finger, and try it pinky to pointer

i think it's because the hand is naturally inclined so that the palm is facing the center, so the outer digits are already closer to the surface. so outer digits -> inner digits are quick because you just have to smash all fingers down and they go in order. however, inner digits -> outer digits have to combat the inclination

how to combat this? idk. for me, i just put more weight behind each keypress, and keep practicing. there was one map that came to mind with a difficulty called "Lan" and it had a shit ton of doubles, forgot the name. a lot of dubstep maps have doubles too.
winber1
smh you are only a lvl 18 warlock, come back and ask again if you experience the same problem when u are a lvl 20 warlock with the balance skill