forum

Map Creators Appreciation Thread

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
skiism

First of all, I would like to say thank you to all the map creators that provide maps for all of us OSU! players to no life on!

I'm relatively a new player (3 - 4 years), just started playing way more in the past couple of months and while I was playing an extremely fun map (https://osu.ppy.sh/s/494225) I just came to the realization how much work/time goes into creating maps and I feel like most of us take Map Creators for granted, I know I did until now.

Question to Creators
How many hours are spent in creating a ~5* 1:00 - 2:00 minute map on average?
What made you start creating maps?
Do you get looked down upon from other creators for making "PP Farming" maps?
What's your favourite genre of song to create? (ie. JPOP, KPOP, Anime Intros, Dubstep, DnB, EDM, etc)
Do you prefer making shorter maps (< 3:00) or longer maps (> 3:00)

Question to Players
What's your favourite genre of music do you like to map for fun?
Who is your favourite map creator and why? (Share some maps)
What type of maps do you prefer playing? (Silders, jumps, streams, silders+jumps, etc)
What length maps do you prefer playing and why?

Post any questions you would want to ask a creator or just simply want to say thank you.

My Answers:
1. Dubstep is my go to when I get tired of other maps. I feel like maps in this genre are very difficult and fast pace which helps me a lot since I'm working on my speed skills. (Share some dubstep maps for me to try)
2. I honestly don't have one at the moment since I've never noticed or looked into any map creators until now.
3. Short sliders + jumps
4. < 2:00 - What I play to PP farm. > 2:00 - What I usually play when I'm just randoming songs

THANK YOU!

Velura
1. Besides low-quality meme music I don't discriminate against any music genre, and don't have a favourite one either. I enjoy osu precisely because it opens the door to so many different genres. I might as well try and play all of the songs :)

2. I don't have a favourite mapper, as I don't pay any attention to who created the map :?

3. Challenging songs, so anything that is slightly beyond my current skill level to an appropriate degree

4. Usually looking at 2:30-5 minute songs here, though I don't mind the occasional 6+ minute songs or TV-Size maps for PP
Linck5
In case you don't know, if you wanna help map creators you can always go on the pending beatmaps forum and give some feedback for creators that didn't receive any: 10&is=0&zr=1

I'm not saying that creating this appreciation thread has no value of course. Just letting you know.
chainpullz
I wouldn't consider myself a mapper but I do mess around in editor a fair amount.

1.) Typically 3 hours per 30 seconds is average for me. I don't really have a set of patterns that I fall back on a lot so every map ends up being a fair amount different from the rest but mapping speed suffers as a result.

2.) Frustration with the status quo of mapping (2015 was a really shitty year for mapping tbh).

3.) Usually no one really cares about how much pp a map gives and judge it more objectively based on map quality. It just so happens that many farm maps are steaming piles of shit but that's more a coincidence than a rule.

4.) I enjoy mapping genres with sweeping instrumentals and moderate-heavy syncopation but American rock is also pretty enjoyable to map for nostalgic reasons. Despite its apparent simplicity there tends to be a fair amount of depth coming from each instrument that you wouldn't be able to pick out and appreciate in something like hardstyle/jpop where the large number of instruments often blend into a wall of sound.

5.) Depends on what we are talking about long vs short. If comparing TV size to full size of the same song then always full size because TV sizes omit instrumental solos and other good parts of the song. Otherwise shorter is better because it's easier to maintain momentum/motivation. I've never really used length as a deciding factor in song choice though.