forum

[invalid] Mod Queues' "Stop being an idiot" announcement/rul

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
Ekaru
Just take a look at this confusing bullcrap:

http://osu.ppy.sh/forum/viewtopic.php?f ... 3#p1091743

The queue's been dead for well over a year, yet some weenie is trying to abuse the fact that it was never *technically* closed!

There are also lots of other minor instances, too. For example, sometimes you get people who don't read the thread's rules (posts a minute or two apart are understandable, but hours after the queue becomes full? No, just no). Those posts should be deleted ASAP, with PMs sent to the offenders in question explaining things, in order to minimize confusion. Otherwise, you get people continuing to post in a dead queue or thinking that a queue is open when it's closed. Examples? I'll just say that some people apparently have trouble to counting to one and leave it at that.

Other times people break other rules, like time/diff limits, but slot-breaking and posting in dead queues are the most common. Nothing ban-worthy, but by golly does it get annoying.

I therefore propose that an announcement be made telling people to stop being idiots, clearly outlining the expectations and explaining that bumping a mod queue that's a year old does not make you clever; it makes you a giant weenie who is going to accomplish nothing but causing a ton of confusion.

The main point of such an announcement is it gives the Mod Queues subforum an overall "rule" ("Read the queues' rules, and for Christ's sake don't bump dead queues") that can be enforced in the more stupid cases (ex. 15 requests when the last post is, "5 more!", which *has* happened before and is very, very stupid).

By having a rule that can be enforced, the moderators can then clean up the messes that happen about once or twice a week. They can either do it as a team or assign a couple of people to do it, but by golly is it messy right now and something should be done about it IMO.

Do you agree? Disagree? Discuss, please.
xsrsbsns
I think any violation inside a modding queue is up to the queue starter to decide.
Break a rule --> most probably ending up not getting your mad modded.
Thus no special moderator should be needed (unless something really goes out of hand.. then contact a BAT or GMT I suppose).

However I do agree, dead queue posters are annoying.
Maybe autolock queue threads there if they aren't active for 1/2 months?
Topic Starter
Ekaru

xsrsbsns wrote:

I think any violation inside a modding queue is up to the queue starter to decide.
Break a rule --> most probably ending up not getting your mad modded.
Thus no special moderator should be needed (unless something really goes out of hand.. then contact a BAT or GMT I suppose).

However I do agree, dead queue posters are annoying.
Maybe autolock queue threads there if they aren't active for 1/2 months?
Yeah, autolock would work.

A specific moderator isn't necessary and would be overboard, yeah. But, an announcement telling people to read the queues' rules would be nice, because by golly that gets annoying.

EDIT: Editing the main post, gimme a bit.
RandomJibberish
Allocating a moderator to the mod queues board seems a little excessive, but it's a bit of a mess at the moment and a cleanup would definitely do good. Even something like allowing queue creators to lock their own queues and/or automatically locking old queues to prevent bumping would be an improvement.

If anyone needs their queue locked for whatever reason, by the way, you can totally ask me or another BAT. It only takes a second :P
SapphireGhost

RandomJibberish wrote:

If anyone needs their queue locked for whatever reason, by the way, you can totally ask me or another BAT. It only takes a second :P
People can already lock their own queues
Silly Jibbaha
NotShinta
Yeah, if the creator wants to they can just lock it themselves. If not, it's not that much of a distraction unless it gets too out of hand.

Also, "English" "No Vocaloid" "No Touhou" D:
Topic Starter
Ekaru

NotShinta wrote:

Yeah, if the creator wants to they can just lock it themselves. If not, it's not that much of a distraction unless it gets too out of hand.
Actually, the situations I'm referring to are where it's out of hand, and the modder in question has neglected their queue so it just keeps on getting posted in even though it's dead. Ex.

viewtopic.php?f=60&t=55583

These cases are annoying, and in these cases the thread should be locked to avoid confusion and clutter, since the modder can easily reopen their queue if they come back.
blissfulyoshi
Since people can lock and unlock their own queues now, I think it is probably best to just autolock them. The 2 weeks timeframe proposed above seems good to me since people can easily unlock their queue when they need to.
Topic Starter
Ekaru

blissfulyoshi wrote:

Since people can lock and unlock their own queues now, I think it is probably best to just autolock them. The 2 weeks timeframe proposed above seems good to me since people can easily unlock their queue when they need to.
Yeah, at the very least do that to take care of necrobumping.

But that still doesn't take care of the times where people just keep on posting and posting in a queue that the modder hasn't touched for a while. Those do happen often enough that it's annoying to deal with, and those could easily be locked by a mod, because the modder can unlock it if/when they come back.
blissfulyoshi

Ekaru wrote:

blissfulyoshi wrote:

Yeah, at the very least do that to take care of necrobumping.

But that still doesn't take care of the times where people just keep on posting and posting in a queue that the modder hasn't touched for a while. Those do happen often enough that it's annoying to deal with, and those could easily be locked by a mod, because the modder can unlock it if/when they come back.
Hmmmm..... I guess I can go around and lock those manually since there are only about 5 pgs of mod queues without a post in the last 2 weeks. I think that is a minor thing that would not be too hard to take care of. (Then again this feels like a temporary solution until a better one can be thought of)
Topic Starter
Ekaru

blissfulyoshi wrote:

Hmmmm..... I guess I can go around and lock those manually since there are only about 5 pgs of mod queues without a post in the last 2 weeks. I think that is a minor thing that would not be too hard to take care of. (Then again this feels like a temporary solution until a better one can be thought of)
Sounds perfect, actually! ^_^
blissfulyoshi
Guess all we need now is ask for implementation. In the meantime, please contact me and/or other MAT/BAT (I think most of them will be fine with it) to lock any queue that needs to be locked.
Sakura
I thought there was some kind of announcement already? viewtopic.php?f=60&t=21552 and necroposting a queue is the same thing as necroposting any other thread and should be treated equally
akrolsmir
Actually, why can't we unlock our own queues yet?
blissfulyoshi

akrolsmir wrote:

...?
I thought you can.... If not, I'll ask in a bit.
Topic Starter
Ekaru

Sakura Hana wrote:

I thought there was some kind of announcement already? viewtopic.php?f=60&t=21552 and necroposting a queue is the same thing as necroposting any other thread and should be treated equally

^I'm talking about things like that.

People just keep on posting and posting and posting just because the thread title says the queue is "open", even though it's clearly not.

This isn't the first time this sort of thing has happened, either. How it typically goes is that some silly person doesn't read the rules, and then other people go, "Oh look, this queue must be open!" and post in the queue. People then proceed to keep on posting in the queue for a while until they finally, *finally* realize that the queue's dead.

The current announcement is just, "Don't spam 50 queues at once!" That isn't an issue anymore. The issue nowadays is people not reading and/or thinking, and I feel that the current announcement should be replaced to reflect this.
blissfulyoshi

Ekaru wrote:

Sakura Hana wrote:

^I'm talking about things like that.

People just keep on posting and posting and posting just because the thread title says the queue is "open", even though it's clearly not.

This isn't the first time this sort of thing has happened, either. How it typically goes is that some silly person doesn't read the rules, and then other people go, "Oh look, this queue must be open!" and post in the queue. People then proceed to keep on posting in the queue for a while until they finally, *finally* realize that the queue's dead.

The current announcement is just, "Don't spam 50 queues at once!" That isn't an issue anymore. The issue nowadays is people not reading and/or thinking, and I feel that the current announcement should be replaced to reflect this.
Just a note, I am not locking that queue because I checked out some of the post from 2 weeks ago, and the modder seems to be getting to them after a delay. I know people aren't following the rules, but I at least know the queue is alive.
Sakura
If anything it should be up for the mod queue creators to enforce their own rules, if people ignore them, then ignore their map, if it gets outta hand, inform a BAT or lock the queue.

As for unlocking their queues, it isnt possible because they have to post on the queue for the "Lock topic" checkbox to show up, and they cant post/edit in a locked thread to uncheck it.
Topic Starter
Ekaru

Sakura Hana wrote:

If anything it should be up for the mod queue creators to enforce their own rules, if people ignore them, then ignore their map, if it gets outta hand, inform a BAT or lock the queue.
That doesn't do anything for the mappers who end up wasting their time because people keep on posting in full queues.

Also, newer mappers may not know how modding queues work, ex. That you don't just blindly post in them. Wouldn't an announcement that explains how it works to them be useful to them?

@bliss: Oh, yeah. I forgot to mention that he was just taking a break. My bad. ;P I was just using it as an example of what happens sometimes.
Sakura
I dont mind the announcement, but i still think it's up to the mapper's to enforce their own rules, tell me who is it hurting if a mapper posts in a full queue? they wont get their map modded and the queue wont stop being full
blissfulyoshi

blissfulyoshi wrote:

akrolsmir wrote:

...?
I thought you can.... If not, I'll ask in a bit.
Went to Derek to ask about this and said that phpbb doesn't allow nonmods to unlock their own queues. I guess contacting MATs/BATs through forum pms is probably the best way to go. Also, since that is the case, is 2 weeks the optimal time to lock a queue? Trying to figure out when we can say that a queue is inactive (2 weeks is probably fine though)
Sakura
Although we could easily mass lock queues that havent had new posts in X ammount of time or longer for now if necessary
ziin
You shouldn't post in a queue that is older than 2 weeks since the last post. You should wait until the creator bumps it. This is common sense and doesn't need mod interaction, but a sticky detailing this would be a good idea.
akrolsmir

ziin wrote:

You shouldn't post in a queue that is older than 2 weeks since the last post. You should wait until the creator bumps it. This is common sense and doesn't need mod interaction, but a sticky detailing this would be a good idea.
Eh, the issue is that the people who need to read the sticky are precisely the same people who would not.
Breeze
yoshi, I had to say, MATs could not unlock a topic :/

And about queue rules, I think it's fine up to queue creator to enforce their rules since mapper has the right post or not, there are not only a mod queue.
But as for BAT/MAT queue, I think it's kinda unfair to enforce a rule like map length and song limit, that make the mappers who made a long map or a map doesn't fit BAT/MAT's taste hardly to get mod
Just my own opinion
Sakura

Breeze wrote:

But as for BAT/MAT queue, I think it's kinda unfair to enforce a rule like map length and song limit, that make the mappers who made a long map or a map doesn't fit BAT/MAT's taste hardly to get mod
Just my own opinion
Which is why i mod pretty much any map and i dont make a queue either, it would feel unfair for other mappers if i had a queue and only the first X that got in were lucky enough.
Breeze

Sakura Hana wrote:

Which is why i mod pretty much any map and i dont make a queue either, it would feel unfair for other mappers if i had a queue and only the first X that got in were lucky enough.
I'm thinking about this, too. Actually each time I open my queue, it's fulled no more than 5 minutes, I'm surprised how fast did those mappers noticed it. And it seems it's always few same one post first. So I've thought figure out some limit rules to make sure it's not always same one get chance.