forum

NESE - Superman from the HotShot OST

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Ken Cosgrove
This beatmap was submitted using in-game submission on Sunday, November 09, 2008 at 4:07:30 PM

Artist: NESE
Title: Superman
BPM: 146.99
Filesize: 1330kb
Play Time: 03:02
Difficulties Available:
  1. Superman (5 stars, 367 notes)
Download: NESE - Superman
Information: Scores/Beatmap Listing
---------------
This is my second beatmap

I feel that it's completed but should I add another difficulty? I don't think this song is very hard at all

I wish to receive some feedback on:

1) Timing
2) Offset
3) Beat Syncronization
4) Overall Playability and/or Enjoyability

Thanks for any feedback!

-Wyaeiga

note: I know there aren't any hitsounds in yet. I thought I'd leave the cosmetics until the end when all the core problems are done.

note: (update) hitsounds have been added up to 44:802 (all i had time for)
mm201
BPM: 146.990
Offset: 13,855

That .99 looks just nasty, but I've triple checked the accuracy at the start and end and this gives the tightest fit.

Onto specifics:
  1. This level doesn't seem to use the same spacing multiplier for different time lengths, much like Magic Dance. As with that map, it doesn't bother me, so I won't say anything. (It does make modding spacing much more difficult. :?)
  2. 00:21:61 (4) - Spacing. Whether a note overhangs the previous or not is where spacing matters the most, since this is the most obvious difference a player is going to perceive. Most of your other 1/2s do not overlap, and neither should this. This appears at other places and should be fixed there too. (I won't list them, save for the more important ones.) Always use the highest grid level if that's what's causing these.
  3. 00:37:12 (2,3,4) - Spacing should be widened.
  4. 00:39:97 (1,1) - IMO these are ugly. :P
  5. 00:44:67 (2) - See 00:21:61.
  6. 00:46:51 (1) - I hate perfectly overlapping sliders. (Probably just my preference, so consult someone else.)
  7. 00:54:67 (1) - Spaced like a 1/2. Move further away from the purple slider. Probably move the whole combo up to preserve the shape.
  8. 00:56:30 (1,2,3) and 00:57:12 (1,2,3) - Space further apart.
  9. 01:17:73 (1,2,3,4) - ^
  10. 01:37:12 (5,6) - Space closer together. Didn't bother me but it is bad spacing nonetheless. :P
  11. 02:05:69 (1,1,1,1) - Spacing, but it's also one of those multisider gimmicks, and I think those are okay.
  12. 02:08:55 (2,1,1,1,1) - ^
  13. 02:40:80 (1,1,1,1,1,1,2) - ^. Swastika much? :P
  14. 02:43:25 (2,3) - Spaced like a 1/2. Move further apart.
  15. 03:02:43 (1,1,1,1,1,1) - WTF? Kind of impossible to make sense of. It's also very easy to do once you've figured out how to with 2 buttons. Not the kind of stunt that belongs in any serious beatmap, least of all at the very end. A plain 1/4 stack would achieve the same effect IMO, be harder, and be more fair at the same time. Or you could keep the 1/8 sliders but put at least a 1/2 space between them, saving the player from having to make the 1/8 jumps.
Also, the overuse of Etnas at places like 01:22:43 seemed kind of boring and uninspired IMO. Some folks love them no matter what, so to each his own, and do what you like at spots like these.
Topic Starter
Ken Cosgrove
02:40:80 (1,1,1,1,1,1,2) - ^. Swastika much? :P
No way! I would never hate the Jews =).

Ok so I fixed most of the problems listed here except the ugly sliders. I kinda liked those xD.

Timing's been changed and song/beatmap still sound solid.

Most of the spacing issues have been taken care of (I think?).

00:21:61 (4) - Spacing. Whether a note overhangs the previous or not is where spacing matters the most, since this is the most obvious difference a player is going to perceive. Most of your other 1/2s do not overlap, and neither should this. This appears at other places and should be fixed there too. (I won't list them, save for the more important ones.) Always use the highest grid level if that's what's causing these.
I'm not 100% sure what that meant, but I tried to do my best to fix whatever it was.

This level doesn't seem to use the same spacing multiplier for different time lengths, much like Magic Dance. As with that map, it doesn't bother me, so I won't say anything. (It does make modding spacing much more difficult. :?)
Does it really? I can't remember changing the distance multiplier. Maybe I just didn't use distance snapping occasionally.

03:02:43 (1,1,1,1,1,1) - WTF? Kind of impossible to make sense of. It's also very easy to do once you've figured out how to with 2 buttons. Not the kind of stunt that belongs in any serious beatmap, least of all at the very end. A plain 1/4 stack would achieve the same effect IMO, be harder, and be more fair at the same time. Or you could keep the 1/8 sliders but put at least a 1/2 space between them, saving the player from having to make the 1/8 jumps.
I changed it to 1/4 notes, but now I'm considering just doing something entirely different because I can hit like 1 out of every 3 of those notes xD.
mm201

wyaeiga wrote:

00:21:61 (4) - Spacing. Whether a note overhangs the previous or not is where spacing matters the most, since this is the most obvious difference a player is going to perceive. Most of your other 1/2s do not overlap, and neither should this. This appears at other places and should be fixed there too. (I won't list them, save for the more important ones.) Always use the highest grid level if that's what's causing these.
I'm not 100% sure what that meant, but I tried to do my best to fix whatever it was.
So basically, you have the occasional spots where two notes overlap each other just a bit, but they're still just the same old 1/2s which are spaced wider normally. The player is going to see this difference very easily and mistake them for quicker notes.

wyaeiga wrote:

This level doesn't seem to use the same spacing multiplier for different time lengths, much like Magic Dance. As with that map, it doesn't bother me, so I won't say anything. (It does make modding spacing much more difficult. :?)
Does it really? I can't remember changing the distance multiplier. Maybe I just didn't use distance snapping occasionally.
It's probably just a coarse grid snap. I did that on my first map. :P

wyaeiga wrote:

03:02:43 (1,1,1,1,1,1) - WTF? Kind of impossible to make sense of. It's also very easy to do once you've figured out how to with 2 buttons. Not the kind of stunt that belongs in any serious beatmap, least of all at the very end. A plain 1/4 stack would achieve the same effect IMO, be harder, and be more fair at the same time. Or you could keep the 1/8 sliders but put at least a 1/2 space between them, saving the player from having to make the 1/8 jumps.
I changed it to 1/4 notes, but now I'm considering just doing something entirely different because I can hit like 1 out of every 3 of those notes xD.
Clusterfuck much? :O 03:02:31 (1) seems to be extra. Rearranging them to not overlap would make this easier/fairer, IMO.

Now, remaining problems:
  1. 00:35:47 (2,3) - Spacing. Move further apart. Even overlapping sliders need to be spaced. :)
  2. 00:44:04 (1,2) - Spacing. Move further apart.
  3. 00:44:86 (3,4) and 00:46:49 (1,2) - Spaced like a 1/2. Move further apart. (I still hate the overlapping slider.)
  4. 01:13:83 (1,1) - Still looks a little tight IMO, but could pass as okay.
  5. 01:14:65 (1,1) - Spaced like a 1/2. Move further apart.
  6. 02:42:81 (1,2) - Spacing seems a little tight.
  7. 02:47:71 (2,3) - ^
  8. HITNOISES!!
  9. More difficulties! :)
Topic Starter
Ken Cosgrove
Clusterfuck much? :O 03:02:31 (1) seems to be extra. Rearranging them to not overlap would make this easier/fairer, IMO.
Ok screw the ending godliness... I just replaced them all with a spinner =).

Now, remaining problems:

* 00:35:47 (2,3) - Spacing. Move further apart. Even overlapping sliders need to be spaced. :)
* 00:44:04 (1,2) - Spacing. Move further apart.
* 00:44:86 (3,4) and 00:46:49 (1,2) - Spaced like a 1/2. Move further apart. (I still hate the overlapping slider.) Redid deleted the overlapping sliders.
* 01:13:83 (1,1) - Still looks a little tight IMO, but could pass as okay.
* 01:14:65 (1,1) - Spaced like a 1/2. Move further apart.
* 02:42:81 (1,2) - Spacing seems a little tight.
* 02:47:71 (2,3) - ^
* HITNOISES!! Oh yeah xD. I'll upload that after my school exams are done with.

Fixed all - unless I missed some.

More difficulties! :)
I'm not sure how I'd simplify this any more or make it any harder, unless you'd like to help =D

btw: thanks for all the help =)
BanchoBot
This modding thread has been migrated to the new "modding discussions" system. Please make sure to re-post any existing (and unresolved) efforts to the new system as required.