forum

Inverted Y-Axis Poll

posted
Total Posts

Do you prefer to invert your y-axis for first person shooters?

Yes, for console games only
26.92%
Yes, for both console and PC games
3.85%
Yes, for PC games only
1.92%
Nope
63.46%
Other (specify in-thread)
3.85%
Total votes: 52
Topic Starter
0_o
Just curious. I'm in the inverted club myself (for console games at least). My friends hate me for it since I have to change the settings every time we play :P
mm201
Only when using an analog stick. I blame Goldeneye for getting me accustomed to inverted Y.
I hate when games use the same inversion settings for mouse and analog stick.
Rantai
I blame Nintendo for making me like this.

But yeah I play inverted for PC and console, in first person view.

In third person I invert the horizontal axis, and keep the Y un-inverted.
Galkan
No, it's stupid and un-intuitive.
Rantai
Depends on your perspective.

How I see it is you are some guy controlling the character from the back of the head.

You pull back, the character will look up (try it with your head, you'll look up) and of course the opposite for when you push forward.
Mara
When I was playing with Xbox, I used Inverted Y-Axis. I don't use it anywhere now.
Yuzeyun
I blame Ratchet & Clank for making me using Inverted Y. Also same goes for X.
Tatsuo
I'm in the inverted club. I also blame the N64. Curse you Goldeneye!
Vext_old
Used to invert for most everything until... I believe it was one of the Elder Scrolls games. I didn't pay attention and got used to not having it inverted, never was able to go back after that for anything other than flying games.
Drakari_old
Shooters I never invert anything. Just the way I learned.

Anything involving aircraft though and I just can't keep track. If I actually got a full joystick for one then I'd probably have that inverted, but even within the space of a few seconds I can mess up inversion for planes.
Azure_Kite

LunaticMara wrote:

When I was playing with Xbox, I used Inverted Y-Axis. I don't use it anywhere now.
rust45
To me, I just feel like I'm moving the crosshairs with the stick/mouse, so normal here.

For flying things though invert, I played way too much starfox 64 when I was young and so flying something any other way is foreign to me.
adam2046
I play uninverted, but I can get used to inverted controls in about 5-10 minutes since I used switch them on occasionally when I was playing Timesplitters/Unreal Tournament.
FisHie_old
Timesplitters 1 and 2 were awesome.
Tatsuo

fishie wrote:

Timesplitters 1 and 2 were awesome.
Xiao_old
Inverted only for analog sticks. Any other method of input, I use normally.

When I think about it, it really is unintuitive; I'm just used to it. Whatever makes you play better, right?
Lilac
HOW CAN ONE PLAY WITH THIS?!?!

It's absolutely absurd.
mm201
Haseo_old

Lilac wrote:

HOW CAN ONE PLAY WITH THIS?!?!

It's absolutely absurd.
Xiao_old

mm201 wrote:

This.

Inverted was the default setting in N64 era shooters. GoldenEye, StarFox 64 and Perfect Dark were the biggest offenders. You get used to the (at the time) standarized control method and it's hard to switch.
Lybydose
Not inverted for PC.

I don't even know for consoles because I'm so completely inept at controlling FPS games on a console controller that it took me 5 minutes to walk down a hallway, turn left, and open a door in the demo for some game on the Xbox 360. Exception: Metroid Prime

So I guess whatever Metroid Prime is by default.

Also, an explanation for why it makes sense on consoles by not on the PC:

Grab a pen and hold it in the middle with two fingers. Point it directly at your computer screen. Put the thumb from your other hand on the non-pointy end and use it to change where the pen is pointing just like you would a console stick, while keeping the pen in place with your other hand still. Your thumb will be pushing DOWN to point the pen UP. This is how you control a console game.

Now, imagine the PC. In this case, you can now move the entire pen (mouse) rather than keeping it stationary like a controller joystick. To point your pen to the top of the screen, you now move the entire pen UP.
MDuh
only for aerial simulators
especially ace combat

that's the only game I use inverted y-axis
mm201

Lybydose wrote:

Grab a pen and hold it in the middle with two fingers. Point it directly at your computer screen. Put the thumb from your other hand on the non-pointy end and use it to change where the pen is pointing just like you would a console stick, while keeping the pen in place with your other hand still. Your thumb will be pushing DOWN to point the pen UP. This is how you control a console game.
But this implies inverting the X axis as well, which isn't done.
peppy
How has this not been posted yet?

Espionage724
Can't stand inverted, but then again I guess it's a personal preference or something you either like or don't like :p
Topic Starter
0_o

peppy wrote:

How has this not been posted yet?
My friend posting that vid on my facebook wall (see my initial comment about my friends hating me for it) is actually what prompted me to make this poll :P
ampzz
It's odd, I can't stand inverted on PC but I've played inverted on PlayStation for as long as I can remember. It is the only way I can play console games that allow for Y-axis changes on console games.

That freddview video was what I thought about when I seen this thread as well.
Azure_Kite
freddie wong is just awesome. Nuff said.
Rantai
Guess I'm the only one then.

I'll go sob in the corner.