forum

Flip Queue Size/Pre-rendered Frames?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Espionage724
Just wondering if this was ever a concern, but with GPU drivers, there is an option called either pre-rendered frames (Nvidia) or Flip Queue Size (ATI/AMD), and it basically renders frames with a delay then they actually happen. It's only changeable via Nvidia Control Panel (for Nvidia GPU's of course, and I assume it's changable there), and ATI Tray Tools (ATI/AMD obviously :p)

I "highly" doubt this would even be of a concern with osu!, but then again, with Flip Queue Size, there is a slight ms difference between the options (0 being no pre-rendered frames, 5 being the highest). There are also reports of mouse lag being solved/worsened when playing with this setting.

Anyone have any experience with this setting or any feedback about it?
ZenithPhantasm
1 is best 8-)
Raniemi
I wanna set it to 0 :c
TakuMii
The AMD drivers default to a flip queue size of 1 as of the Crimson driver update, so you don't need to bother with it (I haven't been keeping up with Nvidia, but they defaulted to 2 before I switched teams). The Flip Queue=0 option on AMD hasn't worked properly since the Windows XP era (it causes games to use 3 on Windows 7+, last I checked), and Max Pre-rendered frames=0 no longer exists as an option on Nvidia.

The lowest will provide the most responsive input. It does actually help in gameplay, although it'll be unnoticeable to the untrained eye. But the only reason why you'd increase it is if you're getting low framerates and need that extra bit of smoothness/frametime consistency.
dung eater

Raniemi wrote:

set it to 0 c.c

ZenithPhantasm
Raniemi

jaaakb wrote:

Raniemi wrote:

set it to 0 c.c

The lowest is 1 for me
TakuMii

Raniemi wrote:

jaaakb wrote:

set it to 0 c.c
The lowest is 1 for me
He's using ancient drivers :roll:

Oh, and something to note is that Nvidia themselves have said that they removed the 0 option because it is impossible/nonsensical (due to how GPUs work), is effectively identical to 1, and that any improvement felt is purely placebo.
Topic Starter
Espionage724
Heh, hard to believe I made this thread 4 years ago :p