forum

Choking

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Faye
It's something we've all done, and it's hard to recover from it. It's frustrating and can completely throw off a mood - and now, it's a problem that I am currently facing constantly. I keep getting to the end of maps I find difficult ( Approx 5.5*~ ) and I do fairly well at 85%+ accuracy. But then, right at the end - boom. I feel the anxiety take over, I feel my muscles cramp and I stare at the screen as if oblivious at to what's going on in front of me.

I need help with this, is there a better way to manage anxiety near the end of maps? Especially lengthy maps - after 5-10mins, I'm worn out regardless and the nerves just freeze me up.
N0thingSpecial
Play easier stuff and get at least 98% acc try early 4* marathon maps
dung eater
Use nofail or play multi. Dying isn't bad, but you playing bad is. Try to play better and focus on the aim and tapping. You'll get more used to that feeling if you just focus on playing during it.
Topic Starter
Faye

N0thingSpecial wrote:

N0thingSpecial wrote:

Thanks, but that's not quite my issue. I can do things fine, but it's stress that gets to me more. Sure, FCing easier maps will better my rank, but I'm tryna push myself to physically improve more than watch my pp rise.
N0thingSpecial
You're telling me that yet your max combo is not even 1k

Cool
Topic Starter
Faye

N0thingSpecial wrote:

You're telling me that yet your max combo is not even 1k

Cool
Jesus Christ, no need to be a dick man.
N0thingSpecial
Ok even considering I'm a miserable prick the logic itself is very weak for not grinding marathon maps when getting nerves is your problem
Topic Starter
Faye

N0thingSpecial wrote:

Ok even considering I'm a miserable prick the logic itself is very weak for not grinding marathon maps when getting nerves is your problem
Grinding marathons is probs what I'm gonna do then.
No need to be a fuckin' asshole though.
N0thingSpecial
When I say grind I mean get dozens of maps with 1k+ combo cycle through them playing from start to finish even if you choked

It might not be physically challenging but mentally trains you to hit as much note as possible, I find it challenging to SSing 4* maps even if I can full combo 6* long maps
ManuelOsuPlayer
Play where you can get S and up from there.
My Angel Jeremy
slidebreak in the start to make u feel less nervous
Valiente
Play longer maps, don't retry, have thousands of different beatmaps and play them randomly, get used to different patterns, then you will have the confidence to beat your anxiety (not completely though).
_yui

Faye wrote:

N0thingSpecial wrote:

N0thingSpecial wrote:

Thanks, but that's not quite my issue. I can do things fine, but it's stress that gets to me more. Sure, FCing easier maps will better my rank, but I'm tryna push myself to physically improve more than watch my pp rise.

C O N S I S T E N C Y
Topic Starter
Faye

Valiente wrote:

Play longer maps, don't retry, have thousands of different beatmaps and play them randomly, get used to different patterns, then you will have the confidence to beat your anxiety (not completely though).

My Angel Jeremy wrote:

slidebreak in the start to make u feel less nervous

ManuelOsuPlayer wrote:

Play where you can get S and up from there.

N0thingSpecial wrote:

When I say grind I mean get dozens of maps with 1k+ combo cycle through them playing from start to finish even if you choked

It might not be physically challenging but mentally trains you to hit as much note as possible, I find it challenging to SSing 4* maps even if I can full combo 6* long maps
Thank you all for your responses! I'll be sure to try and work on this :)
autoteleology

Faye wrote:

I keep getting to the end of maps I find difficult ( Approx 5.5*~ ) and I do fairly well at 85%+ accuracy..
85% is not "fairly well". That is a solid C rank. Anything less than an A rank means you can barely play the map.

Anxiety never goes away. You can only hope to have enough excess skill to push through the flood of endorphins and the jitters that come with it.