forum

Make supporter accessible to countries with bad economy

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
Joe Castle
Original title was "use kudos to buy osu!supporter" option, and my idea wasnt well explained

I don't know if someone has made a similar post about this, but i think is a good idea to make osu!supporter more accessible to countries where the economy doesn't let you pay for osu!supporter (and for people who's resources are low)

I created this idea to see if the osu!team likes the idea of making the osu!supporter a bit more accessible to countries where the economy is bad. You might be asking "why are you doing this post, that wouldn't be fair" well... First let me explain what's a bad economy.

Bad economy is when a country's economy is such a disaster, the monthly minimum wage barely lets you buy a pair of shoes and a dozen of eggs, a economy that is so unstable, you have to buy food as much as you can, because you don't know if tomorrow that food can be more expensive, a economy so bad, that with the money you make in a day, you can't even prepare a decent breakfast. In short, a bad economy is when the money you made doesn't let you have a normal life where you can eat, study and go out properly.

With that to a side, I will sound stupid, but i want to use the country where I live, Venezuela, as an example of a country with a bad economy.

Venezuela's economy is a disaster, where the payment you get isn't even a little portion of what you won around 2007-2012.

You might have seen in the internet an article that said something like "World of Warcraft's currency is more valuable than Venezuela's Bolivar" and well... That's true, you know your country has a bad economy when even a videogame's currency is more valuable than your local money...

And you might think "why are you saying all of this, if I have seen Venezuelan players with supporter tags, maybe they have money to buy them" well... That's not true

Most, if not all, of the Venezuelan osu! Players have or had supporter tag (like me) because of generous friends/players that bought them some supporter because they know we can't pay for it, in fact, just a month of supporter (4$) costs around 64.000 bolivares (around 30-35% of the monthly minimum wage) making it impossible to buy it with our own money (unless you buy dollars from the black market, that's the only way you can get dollars right now, and they can cost up to 20.000bsf and more)

As I know Venezuela is not the only country who has this kind of problem, so that's why I posted this idea here on Feature Request, to make osu!supporter a bit more accessible to the countries with bad economies and people with low resources, so they can enjoy the extra features the game offers, but they can't pay because of the bad economy if their country

But now, you might be thinking "well, now I understand why you guys cant pay for it, but how do you think they will be getting it?" Well... I think I have a good idea, it might be crazy, but i think it can work

It will sound stupid, but this is the only idea I have to make it more accessible: Exchanging kudos

How could this work? Well... if I know what I'm saying, with the kudos a player made from modding maps (obviously, the mod had to be helpful for the mapper) could be exchanged for some period of osu!supporter

What I mean is, a certain amount of kudos could be exchanged with days, weeks and even a month of osu!supporter. As the base of my idea, I'm using the method that some games use, where if the player collects enough coins (by doing missions or requests) he can buy items that can be helpful for the player.

The amount of kudos could be exchanged with days, weeks or months of osu!supporter. (This would be a possibility)

The difference would be that, besides the coins would be replaced by kudos, and the missions/requests are replaced with modding maps, there should exist "kind of" a list where you can see how much kudos would cost a certain period of osu!supporter. Depending of how many kudos you have, you can exchange them, with a certain period of supporter.

When I first posted my idea of the list, the costs were too cheap, and Stefan explained that if those numbers were real, players would abuse it very easily, so he adjusted the numbers and made a better version of the list. I will link both version below this comment

My idea of the costs list
>5 kudos: 1 day
>10 kudos: 2-3 days
>20 kudos: a whole week (or 10 days of supporter)
>50 kudos: a month
>100 kudos: two months

Stefan's version of the list
>9 kudos: 1 day
>21 kudos: 3 days
>35 kudos: a whole week (or 10 days of supporter)
>56 kudos: two weeks
>84 kudos: a month
>120 kudos: two months

This way, more people would be interested in helping the community with modding maps (if the mod actually helps, obviously) and it would be more easier to people who can't pay for osu!supporter (people who doesn't have the money, people who lives in countries where it's hard to pay for it) to get some of it :)

I don't really know if someone likes this idea, but I hope it does :)
WubWoofBacon
As nice as it is to be able to receive supporter for helping the community, the point of supporter is to support the game by helping pay to keep osu! running.
Stefan

Joe Castle wrote:

>5 9 kudos: 1 day
>10 kudos: 2-3 days 21 kudos: 3 days
>20 35 kudos: a whole week (or 10 days of supporter)
>50 84 kudos: a month
>100 120 kudos: two months
Probably requires some smoother discount curve but if it goes in that direction then I don't mind the idea. Consider that 10 Kudosu are gained very quickly and that people can potentially abuse it - we already have that although the rewards for kudosu are very low, with supporter people have a good reason to abuse it.

Aside of that.. idk if the higher staff members want that sort of system.
Topic Starter
Joe Castle

Stefan wrote:

Joe Castle wrote:

>5 9 kudos: 1 day
>10 kudos: 2-3 days 21 kudos: 3 days
>20 35 kudos: a whole week (or 10 days of supporter)
>50 84 kudos: a month
>100 120 kudos: two months
Probably requires some smoother discount curve but if it goes in that direction then I don't mind the idea. Consider that 10 Kudosu are gained very quickly and that people can potentially abuse it - we already have that although the rewards for kudosu are very low, with supporter people have a good reason to abuse it.

Aside of that.. idk if the higher staff members want that sort of system.
Even tho my list was just a little example, your list is much better than mine, and you're right, that could be abused pretty quickly if my list was real, so, yeah.

Your list is waaaaay better that my example :)
Pawsu
I agree with Stefan, I don't know if the high ups would like that kind of system, since the whole point is to donate to support osu!
Topic Starter
Joe Castle

WubWoofBacon wrote:

As nice as it is to be able to receive supporter for helping the community, the point of supporter is to support the game by helping pay to keep osu! running.
That's true.

But not all the people could pay for it, maybe because you don't have the money, but especially if you're from a country where it's almost impossible to get the money for that.

I will sound very stupid, but I can use my country, Venezuela, as the example of what I'm saying.

Venezuela is pretty much a economical disaster, where the money you get is just a little portion of what you got on 2007-2012.

And even if there is Venezuelan players that have supporter tag (like me) it's because generous friends/people who bought it for us, because 1 month of supporter tag (4$) is around 64.000 bsf (around 30% of the minimum wage) and that make it's almost impossible to buy it (unless you buy dollars in the black market, that can cost two times more)

Venezuela is not the only country who has that kind of problem, but I posted this idea to make the osu!supporter a little bit more accessible to people who really wants it, but can't pay for it for the previous reasons I mentioned in the post.

Sorry if it sounds like a stupid idea :(
WubWoofBacon
That's actually a great reason to implement that, if I were you, I would edit that into the original post. I feel that kudos for supporter should be given a different name, and limited to countries where the economy is bad. I hope the higher-ups would grant this for you guys!
Topic Starter
Joe Castle

WubWoofBacon wrote:

That's actually a great reason to implement that, if I were you, I would edit that into the original post. I feel that kudos for supporter should be given a different name, and limited to countries where the economy is bad. I hope the higher-ups would grant this for you guys!
I tried my best to edit it and make my idea more well explained
autoteleology
This is a good idea IMO even without considering the intended use case.

Are you poor? Do you want supporter? Support the game in ways that aren't financial, such as making the game better through participation in the community. Earn points for positive actions in the community and cash them in for supporter. Seems fair enough to me.
Nitrous

Pawsu wrote:

I agree with Stefan, I don't know if the high ups would like that kind of system, since the whole point is to donate to support osu!
An alternative can be "limited supporter" so there still will be reasons to purchase supporter using real currency. Aside from the reduced duration, some features of a paying supporter will not be accessible to this type. Similar to the previous April Fools event, limited supporters will only have access supporter client features minus the gold color name which would leave osu!direct, main menu background and friend/country/mod-specific leaderboards in-game. But that is just an example, obviously it wont work out well since the majority of paying supporters pay just for that.

Trying to voice out an idea that would at least be fair to both ends I suppose.
abraker
I thought the community has decided kudos will never be able to get supporter years ago
Caput Mortuum
if it's going to happen, then it should only be accessible to people who have contributed to the community. The minimum price should be around ~100 kd.
Pachiru
I think that can be a good idea, cause actually, kudos is not really important with mapping cause the "Star Priority" doesn't really mean something. A map with 150 kudos, can be not really good, and a one with only 12 kudos can be perfect.

So that's why, using kudos as a virtual currency could be pretty interesting, cause it would at least give a real utility to it. But I think the price listed are pretty low... Keep in mind that the osu!supporter is actually made for paying the game, and keeping the game alive, so if the price of the supporter in kudos would be low, a lot of people will do small and not developped mod, to buy one.

But indeed, it's a nice idea cause it would tempt player to being involved in the community, and make it better. So overall, I support that idea!