forum

Silent Siren - Soukai Rock [Short Ver.]

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
sleepy kira
This beatmap was submitted using in-game submission on Sonntag, 10. September 2017 at 13:33:01

Artist: Silent Siren
Title: Soukai Rock [Short Ver.]
Tags: SilentSiren SoukaiRock
BPM: 200
Filesize: 3470kb
Play Time: 01:23
Difficulties Available:
  1. Insane (4,21 stars, 192 notes)
  2. Normal (1,96 stars, 126 notes)
  3. Simu's Sokai Rokku! (4,58 stars, 350 notes)
Download: Silent Siren - Soukai Rock [Short Ver.]
Information: Scores/Beatmap Listing
---------------
Not going for rank. 3rd Beatmap, plese give me feedback! =D

Simu's Sokai Rokku! made by Simuzax!

Thanks to the following people to give me feedback!

AzureDoctor
Saltssaumure
Kurisu-tina
AzureDoctor
The timing is slightly off. The offset should be 1579
Saltssaumure
Hi from my modqueue!

[Insane]
While this is a pretty decent song choice for a beginner mapper, there are some fundamental issues with the map which need to be addressed:
  1. This map is very clustered around the centre of the screen. Use the whole available grid area - have stuff around the edges of the screen, and in corners.
  2. When making long slider shapes, it's best to use "circular" shapes, ie. perfectly smooth curves that turn sharply when needed. Symmetry is also useful, though not always necessary. A slider like 00:11:179 (2) - would look much better if it was two semicircles forming a "3" shape, rather than a vague wiggle.
  3. Since this is a very high BPM song, the placement of objects is very important, as the player has a very limited time to read. Make jumps in easily recognisable patterns, such as polygons, zigzags, tornados (polygon, but repeated several times with rotation in between), and curves. Even non-jumps need to be carefully placed, for comfortable playing and easy reading. Eg. 00:15:979 (8,1,2,3) - the player should be able to move in one smooth movement through all of these objects. However because 2 is improperly shaped (it's too sharply curved), it becomes very uncomfortable to play as the player needs to make small adjustments to their aim. Generally, smooth curves and sharp angles are the most comfortable. In-between angles and small direction changes are less comfortable.
  4. Generally, mapping to the vocals of a song is not a good idea. Vocals can have a long attack time (time between start and peak of a sound), so they are fairly inaccurately timed. The instruments tend to keep in the correct rhythm, so map to them instead. Eg. 00:17:704 (6) - the peak of the vocal is actually on the white tick, even though it starts on the blue tick. If you wanted to map the vocals here, it has an unusual 3/4 beat rhythm:
    Mapping the instrumental would be much easier, as it is all 1/2 rhythm:
  5. Gaps between notes that are lengths other than 1/4, 1/2, 1/1 etc. can be tricky to read and play. It's usually easier when split up into regular rhythms using a mix of sliders and circles.
  6. Distance between objects at Insane+ should both the rhythm and intensity. Faster notes = smaller distance. Higher intensity = bigger distance.
Good stuff:
00:20:179 (4,5,6,7,8) - This jump sequence is easy to read and play due to sharp angles and a recognisable pattern.
00:32:929 (1,2,3) - Good SV increase to reflect the intensity of the song.
01:12:529 (1,2,3,4) - Recognisable triangle shape, and 2,3,4 forms quite a smooth curve.

[Normal]
  1. This map is also quite clustered around the centre of the screen. On Normal diffs, travelling around the edge of the screen is one of the best ways to ensure you are using the full screen area.
  2. Distance snap should always be used at Normal diff, eg. at the start 00:01:579 (1,2) - these should all be quite a distance away from each other as they are a whole beat apart.
  3. Sliders should be arranged in a pattern. 00:06:379 (1,2,3,4) - these can be turned into a square, or two pairs of matching curved sliders, or a "staircase", etc.
  4. Slider shapes (as stated in above diff).
  5. Long breaks shouldn't be used in short maps. 00:21:079 - here, there's 10 seconds of nothing, which makes the map less interesting.
  6. Don't use both 1/2 and 1/1 stacks, as new players can't tell the difference between them.
  7. Try to avoid overlaps as much, as they can be confusing for new players to read.
Good stuff:
00:14:779 (1,2,3,4,5,6) - Nice symmetrical pattern, mostly distance snapped, with no overlaps, and excellent flow.
00:19:429 (1,2,3,4) - 60 degree angle, which is tidy looking and can form triangles.
00:40:879 (3,1,2,3,4,5) - Comfortable flow between objects, especially approaching and exiting the reversing slider.
01:03:979 (1,2,3) - Nice rotationally symmetrical pattern.
01:07:579 (1,2,3,4,5) - Nearly a pentagon. Use the polygon circle generator (ctrl+shift+d) to make this into a perfect pentagon.
01:12:979 (1) - Clean slider shape with smooth curves and sharp angles.

Good luck with your mapping! Feel free to PM me or reply here if you have any questions. I'd love to see an updated version of this mapset!
Topic Starter
sleepy kira

Saltssaumure wrote:

Hi from my modqueue!

[Insane]
While this is a pretty decent song choice for a beginner mapper, there are some fundamental issues with the map which need to be addressed:
  1. This map is very clustered around the centre of the screen. Use the whole available grid area - have stuff around the edges of the screen, and in corners.
  2. When making long slider shapes, it's best to use "circular" shapes, ie. perfectly smooth curves that turn sharply when needed. Symmetry is also useful, though not always necessary. A slider like 00:11:179 (2) - would look much better if it was two semicircles forming a "3" shape, rather than a vague wiggle.
  3. Since this is a very high BPM song, the placement of objects is very important, as the player has a very limited time to read. Make jumps in easily recognisable patterns, such as polygons, zigzags, tornados (polygon, but repeated several times with rotation in between), and curves. Even non-jumps need to be carefully placed, for comfortable playing and easy reading. Eg. 00:15:979 (8,1,2,3) - the player should be able to move in one smooth movement through all of these objects. However because 2 is improperly shaped (it's too sharply curved), it becomes very uncomfortable to play as the player needs to make small adjustments to their aim. Generally, smooth curves and sharp angles are the most comfortable. In-between angles and small direction changes are less comfortable.
  4. Generally, mapping to the vocals of a song is not a good idea. Vocals can have a long attack time (time between start and peak of a sound), so they are fairly inaccurately timed. The instruments tend to keep in the correct rhythm, so map to them instead. Eg. 00:17:704 (6) - the peak of the vocal is actually on the white tick, even though it starts on the blue tick. If you wanted to map the vocals here, it has an unusual 3/4 beat rhythm:
    Mapping the instrumental would be much easier, as it is all 1/2 rhythm:
  5. Gaps between notes that are lengths other than 1/4, 1/2, 1/1 etc. can be tricky to read and play. It's usually easier when split up into regular rhythms using a mix of sliders and circles.
  6. Distance between objects at Insane+ should both the rhythm and intensity. Faster notes = smaller distance. Higher intensity = bigger distance.
Good stuff:
00:20:179 (4,5,6,7,8) - This jump sequence is easy to read and play due to sharp angles and a recognisable pattern.
00:32:929 (1,2,3) - Good SV increase to reflect the intensity of the song.
01:12:529 (1,2,3,4) - Recognisable triangle shape, and 2,3,4 forms quite a smooth curve.

[Normal]
  1. This map is also quite clustered around the centre of the screen. On Normal diffs, travelling around the edge of the screen is one of the best ways to ensure you are using the full screen area.
  2. Distance snap should always be used at Normal diff, eg. at the start 00:01:579 (1,2) - these should all be quite a distance away from each other as they are a whole beat apart.
  3. Sliders should be arranged in a pattern. 00:06:379 (1,2,3,4) - these can be turned into a square, or two pairs of matching curved sliders, or a "staircase", etc.
  4. Slider shapes (as stated in above diff).
  5. Long breaks shouldn't be used in short maps. 00:21:079 - here, there's 10 seconds of nothing, which makes the map less interesting.
  6. Don't use both 1/2 and 1/1 stacks, as new players can't tell the difference between them.
  7. Try to avoid overlaps as much, as they can be confusing for new players to read.
Good stuff:
00:14:779 (1,2,3,4,5,6) - Nice symmetrical pattern, mostly distance snapped, with no overlaps, and excellent flow.
00:19:429 (1,2,3,4) - 60 degree angle, which is tidy looking and can form triangles.
00:40:879 (3,1,2,3,4,5) - Comfortable flow between objects, especially approaching and exiting the reversing slider.
01:03:979 (1,2,3) - Nice rotationally symmetrical pattern.
01:07:579 (1,2,3,4,5) - Nearly a pentagon. Use the polygon circle generator (ctrl+shift+d) to make this into a perfect pentagon.
01:12:979 (1) - Clean slider shape with smooth curves and sharp angles.

Good luck with your mapping! Feel free to PM me or reply here if you have any questions. I'd love to see an updated version of this mapset!
Thank you very much!
I'm going to update the map asap! =D
Kurisu-tina
Hi, I came across your map from your GD request and I had a look at it. I have some feedback and mods to give. Nice song btw :)
[Normal]
00:33:079 (1) - This circle is one beat too early so to fix this move it back onto the red tick one tick behind it.
00:33:679 (3) - This circle is one beat too late so move it one tick forward onto the red tick in front.

[Insane]
  1. Some areas in this diff seem very undermapped such as 00:10:579 (1,2,3,4,5,6) - I don't really see a reason for those sliders when there is so much more going on in the song that could be capitalized on in your mapping. Also this section is mapping the vocals while later at 00:14:629 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8) the instrumental part of the song is being mapped. This variation makes the map feel a little weird to play with unexpected difficulty spikes and makes some sections such as the first timestamp seem undermapped compared to other sections such as the second timestamp.
  2. I would advise that you don't have to many large changes in slider velocity over a short amount of time e.g 0.5x to 1.5x in one green tick as such a rapid change can surprise the player (not like that's a bad thing) However, it decreases the playability of the map so I would advise to use higher slider velocities for the more intense part of the song such as the chorus and lower slider velocities for less intense areas of the song such as 00:21:379 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7) - this is what you have done which is good :)
  3. 00:24:979 (4) - I find this slider a little weird as it doesn't really fit with the rest of the map aesthetically and looks a little ugly however it fits rhythmically so technically there is nothing wrong with it just my personal opinion. If you decide to change it i would suggest you make it the same as this slider here 00:25:729 (1) - I believe this would make the map look nicer.

Well that's pretty much it! If you want some more feedback or clarification feel free to pm me or reply to this post. I think there is potential in this mapset so good luck! 8-)
Topic Starter
sleepy kira

Kurisu-tina wrote:

Hi, I came across your map from your GD request and I had a look at it. I have some feedback and mods to give. Nice song btw :) Thanks for looking at the map! Didn't expect a mod here tbh ;D
[Normal]
00:33:079 (1) - This circle is one beat too early so to fix this move it back onto the red tick one tick behind it. Fixed
00:33:679 (3) - This circle is one beat too late so move it one tick forward onto the red tick in front. Fixed
I hope that this rythm isn't too difficult. ^^
[Insane]
  1. Some areas in this diff seem very undermapped such as 00:10:579 (1,2,3,4,5,6) - I don't really see a reason for those sliders when there is so much more going on in the song that could be capitalized on in your mapping. I didn't want to make this diff too difficult. I haven't decided on changing it atm. Also this section is mapping the vocals while later at 00:14:629 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8) the instrumental part of the song is being mapped. This variation makes the map feel a little weird to play with unexpected difficulty spikes and makes some sections such as the first timestamp seem undermapped compared to other sections such as the second timestamp. Yea, you are right lol. I'm gonna fix this later, when I have some more time ^^
  2. I would advise that you don't have to many large changes in slider velocity over a short amount of time e.g 0.5x to 1.5x in one green tick as such a rapid change can surprise the player (not like that's a bad thing) However, it decreases the playability of the map so I would advise to use higher slider velocities for the more intense part of the song such as the chorus and lower slider velocities for less intense areas of the song such as 00:21:379 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7) - this is what you have done which is good :) Thanks, and fixed!
  3. 00:24:979 (4) - I find this slider a little weird as it doesn't really fit with the rest of the map aesthetically and looks a little ugly however it fits rhythmically so technically there is nothing wrong with it just my personal opinion. If you decide to change it i would suggest you make it the same as this slider here 00:25:729 (1) - I believe this would make the map look nicer.
Fixed

Well that's pretty much it! If you want some more feedback or clarification feel free to pm me or reply to this post. I think there is potential in this mapset so good luck! 8-)
Thanks again! I really appreciate your feedback! =D
BanchoBot
This modding thread has been migrated to the new "modding discussions" system. Please make sure to re-post any existing (and unresolved) efforts to the new system as required.