forum

Glitches and Easter Eggs in Video Games.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Yuzeyun
Okay, as the title says, this thread will deal with the Glitches and Easter Eggs in video games. For those who don't know what is a glitch, here is a definition from our beloved Wikipedia :

In video games, a glitch is a programming error which results in behavior not intended by the programmers. Glitches may include incorrectly displayed graphics, collision detection errors, game freezes/crashes, sound issues, and others. Some glitches are potentially dangerous to the game save data.

"Glitching" is the practice of a player exploiting faults in a video game's programming to achieve tasks normally impossible if the game's script runs as intended, such as running through walls or defying the game's laws of gravity. It is often used to gain an unfair advantage over other players in multiplayer video games.

During quality assurance (such as the role of a game tester for video games), glitches must be located, a report compiled, and then fed back to the programmers. (An example of this is getting to fight MissingNo. from Pokemon Red and Blue.)

Those can also be performed on emulators (lots of Pokémon GEN1 Glitches videos are with emulators).

AND for Easter Eggs :

A virtual Easter egg is an intentional hidden message, in-joke or feature in a work such as a computer program, web page, video game, movie, book or crossword. The term was coined—according to Warren Robinett—by Atari after they were pointed to the secret message left by Robinett in the game Adventure.

You can post the interesting glitches and easter eggs here or the glitches you find in video games, as a written explanation or video.

Myself I found a way to avoid Planet Damosel and Hypnomatic parts Hunting in Ratchet & Clank 2 (PS2). (Then you won't be attacked by Yetis all the moon crystals or whatever-they're-called mission long.)

You must finish the game before to perform this as you need the First Person Mode - Wall Climb Glitch.

Unfortunately, I finished the run before so I can't give you a filmed explanation.

I'll try to do my best to explain you it.

1. Look at this map :
Behind your ship, you have a black "circle". The said circle is solid, you can walk on it. First, enable the FPM to wall climb it once (TAKE THE LEFT). You'll be on the said circle. Walk until you see rocks, and wall climb them WITHOUT STOPPING (to prevent a fail)

Once you are close to a white-ish field (around 40-45°) you can deactivate the FPM. Once you're at the top, you'll see a field (on the map you'll be around the bottom of the box saying stuff)

Beat the enemies

And "decoy" the wall. Once you've got through the wall you can go to the teleporter and jackpot !

inb4 failed explanation.
Haseo_old
My choice would be Leon's Mafia Costume in RE4. It is strangely hinted that it was a tribute to Michael Jackson.

Discuss.
shinytentacool
"You like Castlevania, don't you?" --- !!! How did he... wh-what! So many in Metal Gear Solid. Like the Vulcan Raven toy in MGS2.

I also remember the dead Lara Croft and Doom guy in Duke Nukem 3D. Id and 3DRealms would just play each other back in the day.

My favorite though would have to be the top of the temple in SotC; I never worked so hard to get to an easter egg

And as of recent, in Deus Ex: HR:

(so lame)
awp
My favourite glitch is the Link's Awakening Select Skip the Metroid Life Saver in Super Metroid. I've only ever done this once and it puts the game in an unwinnable state.

During the fight against Mother Brain, the first rainbow laser attack puts you in a paralyzed state, and Mother Brain will then proceed to drain your HP until you're fairly weak; weak enough to be destroyed with another rainbow laser. Using a certain combination of pre-rainbow-laser HP, armour swapping, and reserve tanks, I was able to restore enough HP to make Samus stand up during the final laser where the metroid jumps in. After the energy restoration, when the Metroid goes to strike mother brain and is supposed to be killed, I was able to jump in the way of the bullet and protect it. After that, Mother Brain does not attack (but still paces back and forth), the Metroid just floats around aimlessly in a loop, and you can damage Mother Brain with charge shots until she's pure orange/red, but you can't kill her.

This all happened over a decade ago so the low-level details are a bit fuzzy, but that was a nifty glitch.
Topic Starter
Yuzeyun
I never told about a pretty pervert easter egg in Ratchet & Clank, though rated E (3+ in the PEGI system) : In planet Rilgar, at the Hoverboard race, when you side-flip in front of the woman, her breasts grow. If you crouch, they go back to normal. I first thought it was a joke but... it was true. Also, in Nebula G.34, you can see Dan Johnson's face in the lights (near your ship when you land.)

This series are full of easter eggs. I can't count the shortcuts I did use in the second game due to the W.T.W. Decoy/Turret glitch and FPM Wall Climb. (I did an insane score, finishing it in 1:33:xx at my 13th run...)

And this was rated E... WTF.
mm201

awp wrote:

the Link's Awakening Select Skip
I could never make that work no matter what. I could make text boxes display when the map was up, which caused strange graphical errors.
I had good fun with the doghouse glitch. Yarna Desert with no sword! \o/
Hika
There was an easter egg in Ninja Gaiden I think? I can't recall which one but it was very interesting. I shall go play xbox & find out again.
Vext_old
Favorite is getting the East Hair Egg in Fable 3, then later getting the DLC and finding yet another, and after spending hours working on getting those taking them to a cave AND WHEN YOU OPEN IT YOU FIND... Dogs playing poker.
EpicFailure
I can think of various pokemon ones out of my head, or from mmorpgs (a lot).
Strange thing is... when I want to remember them, I tend to forget it. :(

That's a contribution I guess? Despite it would normally gotten only if it's hacked.
awp

Vext wrote:

Favorite is getting the East Hair Egg in Fable 3, then later getting the DLC and finding yet another, and after spending hours working on getting those taking them to a cave AND WHEN YOU OPEN IT YOU FIND... Dogs playing poker.
That sounds like the famous Banjo Kazooie Easter Eggs.

That also reminds me of the anti-Easter Egg in Conker's BFD, in which the Lighthouse had a very clear upper layer to it, but you could never reach it.
Haseo_old

EpicFailure wrote:

I can think of various pokemon ones out of my head, or from mmorpgs (a lot).
Strange thing is... when I want to remember them, I tend to forget it. :(

That's a contribution I guess? Despite it would normally gotten only if it's hacked.
That's not an Easter Egg, its more of a glitch.

Anyone ever heard of Pokerus? My shiny Haxorus got a strain of it, but I really dunno what does it do.
mm201
The Bad Egg isn't a glitch or an easter egg. (Well, I guess you could consider it an easter egg, but a bad one.) It's anti-hax. Your Pokémon turns into one if it fails a hash check.

Pokérus doubles the EVs the afflicted Pokémon receives after each battle. Once the Pokémon "recovers" (loses status/PKRS but gets a red/yellow happyface or nuke sign) it keeps the boosted EVs, but no longer spreads the disease.

I totally blew last night abusing the aforementioned doghouse glitch in Link's Awakening DX on my 3DS. If you kill two of the cats in town, the first screen of the glitch world is, ironically, the inside of the doghouse! :o It's also the most useful glitch world to explore. I got trapped inside the Eagle's Tower a few times, and managed to reach the Animal Village without the Roc's Feather. All of the destinations I reached made the game unwinnable because of my lack of items. You should probably at least have the Power Bracelet before exploring the doghouse world, and visit one of the warp points.
Azure_Kite
So, about that Minus World in Super Mario Bros.

Apart from that, I recall a bunch of Glitches in Metroid Prime - Hunters which let you clip through the wall and kill your opponents from behind walls.
mm201
Thinking of eggs, I remember a glitch egg in Gold & Silver which hatches into an egg. Which hatches into an egg...
Azure_Kite
Ah yes, that one.

I'm not sure how to replicate, and the MissingNo/Barcode pkmn Glitches were apparently 'fixed' in Pokémon Yellow, but I once had a Box 7 full of Barcode Pokémon.

It occurred on the odd occasion I was given the opportunity to Withdraw the CANCEL option in Box 7.

Word of Advice. DON'T DO IT.
Crimmi
There is a glitch in Donkey Kong Country where you can teleport from Kongo Jungle to the "Orangutan Gang" level in Vine Valley, but you need a SNES Turbo controller set on auto and switch on the Turbo toggle on the 4th path node on the path between "Cranky's Cabin" & "Reptile Rumble".
mm201
You can find Missingno. in Yellow using the Mew Glitch at least. You can also trade them.
Gomo Psivarh
:(

shinytentacool

Gomo Psivarh wrote:

:(

[attachment=0:5e210]osu20110928.PNG[/attachment:5e210]
Very heartwarming. :(
silmarilen