forum

Conflicted between using a tablet vs using a mouse

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Hybris
This isn't a thread about if tablet is better than mouse / if mouse is better than tablet. In my case, I like using my tablet more than my mouse and I would consider myself better at the tablet as I've been playing with it longer than I have with my mouse. The reason I'm conflicted between using the two atm is because I play a lot of fps games, even more so than osu, and I realise that my aim would probably improve in those games if I were to practise with my mouse rather than with my tablet. So I guess it really comes down to either getting better mouse aim, which would help me with my fps games, or being more comfortable while playing osu / generally playing at a higher level in osu. I guess I'm just hoping someone has advice for me. Roast me if I'm being dumb.
PriestRSC

BluePointer wrote:

I play a lot of fps games, even more so than osu, and I realise that my aim would probably improve in those games if I were to practise with my mouse rather than with my tablet.

I really really really don't think the skills translate, but I'm a casual LEM in CS:GO so I don't know what to tell you there.

If it bothers you, and you value your aiming ability that much in other games, use your mouse in my opinion.
Topic Starter
Hybris
Thanks for the advice, I realise now that my mouse aim probably isn't going to improve significantly just from playing osu, so I think I'll probably stick with the tablet.
PriestRSC
Hmm, I would wait around for someone else who plays mouse + FPS games. I play Osu on tablet, and my aim in FPS games suck.

I don't think it translates because:

1.) Osu is a fixed playing field. It's completely two-dimensional. You see circles, and you click them. But you're also expecting circles based on the music you're listening to. You have a single extra amount of information (think about listening to footsteps and prefiring based on that information and how much of an advantage it is) that you can furthermore memorize.

2.) FPS games are not a fixed playing field. There's A LOT more information coming your way. Just like in Osu, you hear a sound and expect something. In another game, it might have to do with you rotating your camera 180 degrees and having to deal with new information that you aren't used to dealing with.

I don't know if that makes sense, the words don't come out quite the way I want. Maybe wait for someone who's good at both Osu with a mouse and an FPS (or maybe another mouse-intensive game?)
Topic Starter
Hybris
Will do! Thanks again.
ManuelOsuPlayer
Cursor-Eyes coordination translates from tablet to mouse or mouse to tablet. Keep with tablet.
Ryoid
Play with mouse and mash your keyboard to enjoy the game
okb0ss
It would be best sticking with tablet if that's what you are used to. Getting good with mouse is much more complicated in the higher ranks than tablet, and as previously stated by Manuel: a 2d game like osu where things like approach rate and bpm are fixed and predictable doesnt compare to a 3d game like cs:go where different weapons, crouching and sneaking affect movement speed and having to take that into account when snapping your crosshair.
TL;DR: Continue playing with tablet.
autoteleology
The skills are barely, if at all, transferrable.
N0thingSpecial
In my case it doesn't translate at all cause
1) Aiming in fixed play field doesn't translate to aiming 3D environment
2) I use completely different grip style for FPS and osu!
Celine
Tried csgo again yesterday
Gets flamed from round 0 for no absolute real reason and they proceed to tilt and kick me 🤔
And I thought dota wasn't bad enough