forum

A few questions about universal offset.

posted
Total Posts
show more
Topic Starter
HyperSlayer72

Eraser wrote:

are you comfortable with the way you are playing right now? then don't change stuff, if you are
Yeah im very comfortable thanks to my setup not having any extraneous latency. I'm primarily asking about this out of curiosity.

I tried adding a negative and positive 16ms offset and while I noticed a difference in feel, I cant much say weather I felt more in sync with the song.
Considering that visually what im seeing is behind making approach circles appear 16ms faster than they actually are is a good idea no? Also for this situation should the offset be positive or negative?
Caput Mortuum
Negative, because what you are seeing is coming later than it should be, so you have to tap earlier.

16ms is huge lmao. There's no reason to change the offset unless the hit-error bar (at the bottom of your screen during gameplay) leans to the right or left.
Topic Starter
HyperSlayer72

Eraser wrote:

Negative, because what you are seeing is coming later than it should be, so you have to tap earlier.

16ms is huge lmao. There's no reason to change the offset unless the hit-error bar (at the bottom of your screen during gameplay) leans to the right or left.
Couldn't that "lean" be due more to actual skill than hardware? I mean I consistently hit early whenever im playing a part of a map that I cant read very well.
Ryoid
Really? i have +68 offset on and i'm really comfortable with it lmao
ManuelOsuPlayer
You need to tap using rhythm sense. When you tap using rhythm sense the tap move with music, so if you're playing a -10ms offset and music it's a 0ms you will get get only x100. If you play ignoring the music, dosn't matter what you do with the offset, you will have same acc.

Move the head or the feet to the song rhtyhm. Do same with tap hand.

Move the offset if your tap move consistenly to one side on the indicator/ you tap to the song and you're getting x100. Only with play 10 circles i know if i have to move local offset or i don't without even lock to the indicator.

You can work on rhtyhtm sense playing high OD.

Move the offset to adjust your late taps don't make any sense, since you will tap late anyways because you're using the circles to tap, so nothing will change even if you put +100ms. And if you're tapping to the music you should move it to make the song match with the map.
Topic Starter
HyperSlayer72

ManuelOsuPlayer wrote:

You need to tap using rhythm sense. When you tap using rhythm sense the tap move with music, so if you're playing a -10ms offset and music it's a 0ms you will get get only x100. If you play ignoring the music, dosn't matter what you do with the offset, you will have same acc.

Move the head or the feet to the song rhtyhm. Do same with tap hand.

Move the offset if your tap move consistenly to one side on the indicator/ you tap to the song and you're getting x100. Only with play 10 circles i know if i have to move local offset or i don't without even lock to the indicator.

You can work on rhtyhtm sense playing high OD.

Move the offset to adjust your late taps don't make any sense, since you will tap late anyways because you're using the circles to tap, so nothing will change even if you put +100ms. And if you're tapping to the music you should move it to make the song match with the map.
Im definitely more visually focused when playing. I really only use the rhythm to keep me on track with the notes and spacing. But that doesn't mean I dont want my audio and video to be synced as close as possible.
Caput Mortuum

HyperSlayer72 wrote:

Eraser wrote:

Couldn't that "lean" be due more to actual skill than hardware? I mean I consistently hit early whenever im playing a part of a map that I cant read very well.
The hardware does play a part in your unstable rate, but I doubt you could feel the 5 ms difference.
The reason why you are hitting early in a part you can't read is because you don't know the rhythm of it, you don't know when it is coming so you just click before the approach circle is gone.

Ryoid wrote:

either you play with no audio, or you have a not-so-good hardware.
Ryoid
How do you know?
ManuelOsuPlayer

HyperSlayer72 wrote:

Im definitely more visually focused when playing. I really only use the rhythm to keep me on track with the notes and spacing. But that doesn't mean I dont want my audio and video to be synced as close as possible.

I just put -24ms to a map what i have FC >99% acc. I usually have the global offset at -1 what it's where fits well for me.
Maybe you're listening the music without use it for playing, so you shouldn't care about the global offset.
I was using circles to play time ago too. I asked a player if i should keep like that and he tells me what i should stop use circles to play and use music instead.
Music make acc and aim more solid. When you get used to it you don't even need to get focused on listen the music on purpouse, it's something natural.
I get more used to listen music after spam OD10 for a while.
Caput Mortuum

Ryoid wrote:

How do you know?
clairvoyance.
Topic Starter
HyperSlayer72

Ryoid wrote:

either you play with no audio, or you have a not-so-good hardware.[/quote]

Well tbh, 16 is extremely low, 68 is about average. An average 144hz monitor has 24ms of full latency, and most 60hz panels have about 57 - 84ms, the newest 240hz panels have about 14 - 20ms I would assume. Also are you sure its negative? when adding +300ms of positive latency I recieved visual information then audio, meaning that it makes beatmap info show up early. Of course i had inverse effects when adding negative latency with audio showing up first due to beatmap info being delayed. That would mean a +16ms makes the beatmap info show up early relative to the music. Correct?
Caput Mortuum
I always confuse myself whenever I'm talking about offset lmao.. but yeah, positive offset gives visual information first.
ManuelOsuPlayer

HyperSlayer72 wrote:

Well tbh, 16 is extremely low, 68 is about average. An average 144hz monitor has 24ms of full latency, and most 60hz panels have about 57 - 84ms, the newest 240hz panels have about 14 - 20ms I would assume. Also are you sure its negative? when adding +300ms of positive latency I recieved visual information then audio, meaning that it makes beatmap info show up early. Of course i had inverse effects when adding negative latency with audio showing up first due to beatmap info being delayed. That would mean a +16ms makes the beatmap info show up early relative to the music. Correct?
Just make the hitsounds fit with the music while tapping at any easy song where the main beat it's easy to listen. Tap making the hitsounds overwrite those beats to the point you can't listen them anymore while tapping. Then will be easy for you to know your exactly right offset.
Ryoid

HyperSlayer72 wrote:

Ryoid wrote:

Correct,i never changed my hardware since 2010 so idk
Topic Starter
HyperSlayer72
Well I feel like I just confused things even more, maybe trying to mediate my monitors delay is counter intuitive. I'll just leave my offset at 0 since I dont "lean" my timings in one way or the other consistently.
ManuelOsuPlayer

HyperSlayer72 wrote:

Well I feel like I just confused things even more, maybe trying to mediate my monitors delay is counter intuitive. I'll just leave my offset at 0 since I dont "lean" my timings in one way or the other consistently.
Isn't that hard to adjust O.o
Just make the hitsounds and the song beats match.
Deva
Use local offset
Celine
Offset? What is dat :oooooo
Ryoid

BWSnoob wrote:

Offset? What is dat :oooooo
offset is A foul committed by an attacking player who is caught nearer to the opposing goal than two or fewer opponents when the ball is played, and who was deemed to be interfering with play in the process. The defending side is awarded a free kick, to be taken from where the offense took place.
autoteleology

There are lots of reasons why what you see and what you hear in game may not be perfectly synced -audio lag, video lag, having a reading bias (with no music and only visual information, I consistently tap about 10ms early), or the audio file and the beatmap just flat out not being synced correctly. These problems will cause you to consistently tap early or late because what you see and what you hear and not in sync.

Offset essentially makes it so that what you are hearing is in tune with what you are seeing. This not only substantially improves the balance of your inaccuracy so you get more 300s for the same level of skill, it also will slightly lower your unstable rate (your imprecision) so that you generally play better, as your brain does not have to resolve and average out two slightly contradictory streams of information.

I find offset to be an EXTREMELY useful tool for improving your accuracy. It is not only NOT a crutch, it is a very necessary tool that everyone should use. Many maps are borderline unplayable without it, in fact. I use local offset as I can dial in a precise adjustment for every map I play. I usually use -10ms as a base, but it very commonly results in a different number as I replay maps and get more data from multiple inaccuracy readings. You can adjust local offset on a map by pressing + and - to adjust the offset by 5ms, and Shift plus + or - to adjust by 1ms.
Full Tablet
Don't use offset to compensate for visual/input lag.

One alternative (the most common for osu!standard players) is setting the offset so the music matches the hitsounds when you are hitting with perfect timing (according to the game), and learning to press everything earlier compared to the music (with practice this becomes automatic and players do not even realize they are hitting early, noticing it is counter-productive). The most reliable way to find the offset when using this method is recording gameplay audio and then analyzing the waveform of the recording in audio software (usually you want to match the peak of the hitsound with the visible peaks in the music from percussion sounds or similar). The offset when matching music and hitsounds is usually rather small (less that +/-15ms).

Other alternative would be muting hitsounds, and set the offset to a value where the player feels the keypresses match the music when hitting with perfect timing (according to the game). Depending on hardware and player perception, the offset when using this method could be much higher, up to around ~50ms. A similar alternative is recording gameplay with a mic (so it captures both speakers and keypresses), and adjusting the offset so they sound from the keypresses match the music.

Other alternative, valid if you get low UR when playing, is to maximize your accuracy in-game by adjusting offset according to the timing results information in your replays. For example, in a long enough map, if you you get -9ms +/- 5ms early/late average hit errors, and around ~80 UR, then you should adjust to about (5ms-9ms)*1.34 = -5.5ms (for beatmap offset, if you set it to universal, invert the sign) to maximize accuracy (formula valid if the offset to adjust is small, and the player hits sliders equally as well as circles with respect to timing). Adjusting universal offset with a map you can play with your eyes closed (for example the keyboard latency map extended to have more circles) is a good choice for this, since you eliminate the visual timing bias; after that, you could test maps without sound at all and apply a pure visual offset (as opposed to the regular offset, which is both audial and visual) accordingly (that would be done by changing the approach circle and/or the hitcircle sprites in osu!standard; though that is hard in this game mode, since the change in those sprites given a certain amount of visual offset depends on AR; so it is harder to time things visually unless you stick to a single AR or change your skin based on the AR you play).