forum

[resolved] client-independent invite command

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +4
Topic Starter
clayton
currently, multiplayer invites can only be sent through the osu! client by either typing "/invite <player>" or right clicking on <player>'s card

it would be nice to have something like "!mp invite <player>" so that invites could be sent over any generic IRC client, as a way to get players in lobbies without forcing them. this would be a privileged command, since any user on osu! could just "/invite" like normal if they're in the lobby.

realistically this would just replace "!mp add" to prevent abuse

edit: examples of why this would be useful given to Nathanael a few posts down
  1. for tournaments with teams having extra players (ex. a 4v4 tournament with 8 players on each team), the ref could use this command to invite all players of each team without forcing any into the lobby, so that the teams can easily choose who enters the match. this would also give the captain an invite (whom typically is just forced into the lobby), so that they can leave and re-join later without having to ask for an invite from teammates again
  2. if a player is busy, you can invite them rather than forcefully moving them so that they can just join when they're ready. typically, as a ref, you'd have to wait for replies on IRC to confirm that you aren't bothering players, but with invites this process is 100% safe
  3. "!mp add" (previously part of "!mp move") has a history of being abused by some tournament staff members, and usually it's just done as a joke too. removing this functionality in favor of invites would help both the players and staff
abraker
While I don't see a point to the invite if you are not in osu! (why invite if you are not playing?), I do see this as a workaround to have private channels for players to chat in to some degree since it will make going into a multiplayer lobby (private channel) that much easier.
Topic Starter
clayton
it would be used by tournament staff to invite players into lobbies rather than forcefully move them (which is why it would be a privileged command)
Nathanael
Most tournaments are organized beforehand and players who would like to participate are going through a registration so I don't see a reason why would you "invite" them. If a member of a team wants to play the match then the tournament managers can add them by force.
Topic Starter
clayton
I guess I should list some examples of when/why this could be useful (should have done that in the OP, sorry :P )
  1. for tournaments with teams having extra players (ex. a 4v4 tournament with 8 players on each team), the ref could use this command to invite all players of each team without forcing any into the lobby, so that the teams can easily choose who enters the match. this would also give the captain an invite (whom typically is just forced into the lobby), so that they can leave and re-join later without having to ask for an invite from teammates again
  2. if a player is busy, you can invite them rather than forcefully moving them so that they can just join when they're ready. typically, as a ref, you'd have to wait for replies on IRC to confirm that you aren't bothering players, but with invites this process is 100% safe
  3. "!mp add" (previously part of "!mp move") has a history of being abused by some tournament staff members, and usually it's just done as a joke too. removing this functionality in favor of invites would help both the players and staff
I know what you mean; it really is a bit redundant in some cases to invite rather than just move, but it will help in these kinds of situations
Nathanael
I guess your examples are good enough. Oh and you can edit your main post by hovering at it and clicking the "Edit" button.