forum

Super Mario World (+romhacks)

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
LadySuburu
So, there was apperently a thread ages ago on this but I don't really want to necro a two year old thread.

I'm currently in the process of developing my own romhack, and am trying to decide a gimmick for the fifth world (Forest of Illusions).

Was wondering if anyone else still plays SMW or related hacks?

Related videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8TZpiqIRw8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSbS0npRHtw

I only have a few videos up, since I don't want to spoil certain levels. I will be posting more as I develop more levels, but ones that rely on not having seen it before will not be posted.
Azure_Kite
I still play it from time to time. I haven't dabbled much into hacking SMW, but I messed around with the NES Super Mario Bros quite a bit. Pretty much spritehacked everything I possibly could, and modified the levels somewhat. It's kinda fun, romhacking and all. I should get back into it.
Topic Starter
LadySuburu

Azure_Kyte wrote:

I still play it from time to time. I haven't dabbled much into hacking SMW, but I messed around with the NES Super Mario Bros quite a bit. Pretty much spritehacked everything I possibly could, and modified the levels somewhat. It's kinda fun, romhacking and all. I should get back into it.
Yeah, It's a nice way to pass some time. Of course it can also be frustrating if you make some difficult levels and actually playtest them. (Or you could just go play Kaizo and get frustrated. I think I made it about halfway through the game.)
Ivalset
Super Mario World romhacks always looked to be more fun from a design standpoint than from a playing standpoint.

I'm pretty sure putting your dick in a blender is more enjoyable than actually playing any SMW romhack.
foulcoon
Should be great publicity for me as I'm developing an android game called "Putting your Dick in a Blender".
Topic Starter
LadySuburu

Ivalset wrote:

Super Mario World romhacks always looked to be more fun from a design standpoint than from a playing standpoint.

I'm pretty sure putting your dick in a blender is more enjoyable than actually playing any SMW romhack.
I'd agree with you about 75% of the time on that. I've played a decent amount of romhacks that are actually fun. You just have to find the well developed ones, and then find the well developed non-kaizo ones.
Ivalset

foulcoon wrote:

Should be great publicity for me as I'm developing an android game called "Putting your Dick in a Blender".
Sounds like a great game, actually.

LadySuburu wrote:

I'd agree with you about 75% of the time on that. I've played a decent amount of romhacks that are actually fun. You just have to find the well developed ones, and then find the well developed non-kaizo ones.
Are they actually fun, or are they like, "Oh, that's a really cool idea. Oh, shit, time to get past it... *puts dick in blender*"
Topic Starter
LadySuburu

Ivalset wrote:

Are they actually fun, or are they like, "Oh, that's a really cool idea. Oh, shit, time to get past it... *puts dick in blender*"
Actually fun, for me anyway. The levels aren't usually too difficult in the hacks I'm refering to.
awp

Ivalset wrote:

There is a fun one. I believe it's called "Return to Dinosaur Land" or something. It's basically a second Super Mario World.
adam2046
Topic Starter
LadySuburu

adam2046 wrote:

I remember doing some of that. Frustrating Fun times.

Good thing not all romhacks are like that.
Xgor
I take it as you are not planning to use any custom graphics or not even a over world considering those videos :|

Well, if you want to have a simple gimmick for Forest of Illusions, a good idea could either all the levels into mazes, as it would fit very well with the theme in the original game.

One other think you could do is well is to have blocks that look like something but they work like something else/mario can just pass trough it thus making the player confused, that seems to fit the difficulty you want.

Still I really don't like the level design, It feels like it just focus on throwing in as much shit at you as possible instead of focusing on being fun and varied. Focusing to make a map that you can only beat with savestates is overdone and not that fun to play.

Makes me sad that mapping like that seems to be more common now than 2007 :| Makes me glad I left SWM hacking.

Link to what I did in SMW hacking 4 years ago if anyone curious.
Topic Starter
LadySuburu

Xgor wrote:

I take it as you are not planning to use any custom graphics or not even a over world considering those videos :|

Overworld - Likely not. Custom Graphics? Likely once my Lunar Magic skills increase. I only recently figured out tile editing and adding custom sprites. (I haven't been doing this long.)

Well, if you want to have a simple gimmick for Forest of Illusions, a good idea could either all the levels into mazes, as it would fit very well with the theme in the original game.

I may go with that. I don't intend for all of my levels to be extremely hard.

One other think you could do is well is to have blocks that look like something but they work like something else/mario can just pass trough it thus making the player confused, that seems to fit the difficulty you want.

Already done that in two other levels (One of which I'm likely going to scrap.)

Still I really don't like the level design, It feels like it just focus on throwing in as much shit at you as possible instead of focusing on being fun and varied. Focusing to make a map that you can only beat with savestates is overdone and not that fun to play.

I'm basically making the hack for me to play through, since I'm one of the few people that will likely ever play it. I don't really enjoy playing a really easy game, so most of the levels will be a bit more difficult than most people would have. That being said, I'm not going for every level to be of Kaizo difficulty either.

Makes me sad that mapping like that seems to be more common now than 2007 :| Makes me glad I left SWM hacking.

I think there are still a decent amount of roms out there or being released that don't need savestates.

Cookie pro_old
thanch :)
Mismagius

Xgor wrote:

I remember looking at that video some time ago and thinking if it was really you.

Anyways, I love playing most SMW hacks if they're not shit-retarded.

MARIO was a nice one, though, if you ever saw it. Except that fucking image.
MoodyRPG
http://www.smwcentral.net/

this is the official page for SMWHacks,good hacks
fabriciorby
I don't think it a neeecropost, but, is it ready? I would love to play :p